Version 0.10.4 is now live!

Comments

• IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    I published a game with GS 10.4, and just before finishing uploading app to Apple, using Application Loader from Xcode 5, such warning popped up:
    "WARN: WARNING ITMS-9000: "Legacy Language Designator - The directories located at ( Moonwall 1.app/English.lproj ) use a legacy language designator. Use of the full language name has been deprecated and is not guaranteed to work in future versions of the OS."

Does anyone have any idea what is this warning about, and if this is some kind of GS bug, or something?
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    Just ignore it and publish was what GS said.
  • bricksingllcbricksingllc Member Posts: 44
    Did you fundamentally change the replicate behavior on top of making it faster? It seems under 10.4, it now show the actor even when the replicate it tied to a variable that has a value of 0? This is not the way it worked before - if the value was zero, the actor was not visible. I know it is easy to fix, but I'd like to know if there are any other fundamental changes to the way behaviors will operate in 10.4 vs. 10.3.
    edited September 2013
    I am also seeing that tiled actors are show gapping between tiles (shows as very thin black lines) for some instances at random, which is an issue that was present back in the 10.1 and prior days. Basically, if you make a tiled actor with a proper image that tiles perfectly and size that actor to larger than a single tile (in either direction), it will show seamlessly in Creator both in design and preview modes, yet after a real build, it will show gapping between tiles on some instances. I have instances of the same actor that tile properly on some scenes and not others when the only delta in the position and size of the instance.

UPDATE: After some quick experimentation and another build, I have confirmed that the "solution" for us developers is to go into the 'gapping' instance and set the actor's size to the same values again and ensure its position is exactly a whole number in the same axis that is using a tiled graphic. This was exactly how I solved the problem back in the 10.1 and prior days. So, this project was already "cleaned" up before, so I am not sure why some instances got jacked up again under 10.4.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Did you fundamentally change the replicate behavior on top of making it faster? It seems under 10.4, it now show the actor even when the replicate it tied to a variable that has a value of 0? This is not the way it worked before - if the value was zero, the actor was not visible. I know it is easy to fix, but I'd like to know if there are any other fundamental changes to the way behaviors will operate in 10.4 vs. 10.3.
    i think this was previously a bug that they fixed. I noticed it in the nightlies a few weeks ago, and it makes sense.

if you replicate an actor once, it should have an 1 additional actor replicated, so you would see two on the screen. if you replicated it 0 times, you would only see the original one.
    i think this was previously a bug that they fixed. I noticed it in the nightlies a few weeks ago, and it makes sense.

if you replicate an actor once, it should have an 1 additional actor replicated, so you would see two on the screen. if you replicated it 0 times, you would only see the original one.
    As I said, it was as a very easy fix to my code; I am really looking for visibility into the other changes like these that create the "gotchas" when moving from one version to the next with GS. Not taking sides on the whole 10.3 table debacle, but it is incumbent on GS to list these sorts of things as part of a more comprehensive release notes.

However, I also understand the pressure under which the GS team has been with an office move and iOS 7 coming within days of each other and growing discontent from the community over the pace of change and the fact iOS 7 compatibility was not ready on time. So, I can cut them some slack over not communicating these other changes/fixes for this 10.4 release. I just hope it does not remain the status quo for future releases.
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    @CodeWizard, @BlackCloakGS

Not sure if this has been mentioned but if you move a actor on too the scene and then change the prototypes opacity it want effect the actors on the scene only the ones you move from that point on but seems to fix itself if you save exit then restart..I also tested this with just a new project so easy to replicate with basic actors.
  • mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    It has come back - not sure what's up with this. Here's a screenshot...
    @MSEagle2 I had that too - I redownloaded it and rebuilt it and that went away.

There is just a bunch of sample code templates I was testing as well as mini game things so the thumbnails do work the projects just don't have them. The games have a white background behind them. When reinstalling if the slots are free they are black. Filled and go white.

Cheers, M@
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    edited September 2013
    @codewizard I think the custom loading images for portrait universal apps is broke. It took my image and stretched it out a second after loading. This happened on two portrait universal apps I have, and only with the 10.4 build, it did not happen with nightlies.

edit: it also only happens on the iPad
    Also I just wanted to say that the update is great thanks - good work to the team it's getting there :) so smooth on the frame rate now - looks stunning! Great to have iOS7 nearly there, a brand new period in time coming up over the next year :)
  • alarm656alarm656 Member Posts: 291
    I have this latest GS version, Xcode 4.6.3. Mac OS X 10.7.5. I can't upgrade Xcode to Xcode 5 because it needs Mac OS 10.8.5. My Macbook 2007 and can't support this Mac OS 10.8.5 version. Does Apple wants me to buy their expensive new Macbook Pro or Air? I don't understand why they updated their softwares every week. Now I'm not fun of Apple devices anymore((((
  • nikkonnikkon Member, PRO Posts: 111
    edited September 2013
    @alam656 I'm in the same boat as you. have a macbook pro 2.33, but you dont need xcode 5 atm. i just built and submitted 2 apps using xcode 4 just fine.

its annoying how the macbook pro could easily run 10.8 but apple have locked it out to make you upgrade sooner than needed :\ There is a hack out there called mlpostfactor which will let you install 10.8 on your macbook pro and all reports say it works fine
  • lukejnrlukejnr Member, PRO Posts: 63
    edited September 2013
    I am having issues with images being blurry with 0.10.4 working with a number of projects built with 0.10.2. Graphics were crisp in previous build and now is slightly blurry. Anyone else experiencing this?

Even my 2048x1536 72ppi background images are slightly blurry.

I have created a new project and exported the images again at 2048x1536 at 72ppi PNG8. Again this appears blurred on my iPad mini. I have used both the GS Viewer and Published via Ad-hoc and both are blurred.

Anyone else experiencing this?
  • gamesfuagamesfua Member Posts: 723
    This keeps making me want to stay on 10.1
    No bugs. No oddities. Works flawless. Here's for hoping ios 7 support can just be added to that version. Maybe i'm nuts, but any version past 10.1 seems to have endless bugs.
    @alarm656 your laptop is six years old. Not one week old lol trolololol
    @alam656 I'm in the same boat as you. have a macbook pro 2.33, but you dont need xcode 5 atm. i just built and submitted 2 apps using xcode 4 just fine.

its annoying how the macbook pro could easily run 10.8 but apple have locked it out to make you upgrade sooner than needed :\ There is a hack out there called mlpostfactor which will let you install 10.8 on your macbook pro and all reports say it works fine
    Thank you nikkon. will search mlpostfactor on google. I just today upgraded my GS and upset)) thx again.
    yes, I know. I bought my old Macbook about 9 month ago for 600$. I can't afford to buy newest Apple computers. To buy this old macbook I save 3 month. each month by 200$. 600$ is big money for peoples how lives in my country and has medium 400$ month salary .
  • gamesfuagamesfua Member Posts: 723
    edited September 2013
    @alarm656 and @nikkon
    I'm confused by people saying that you can use xcode 4.6.3
    I've had no such luck. Then again, i'm starting a new game, so it may be that existing provision profiles will work, but new ones won't (i tried and it said i need xcode 5).
    I have a feeling that if anyone is able to get away with xcode 4, it won't be for very long. Apple is is in a bad habit of being upgrade heavy lately with a complete disregard for backwards compatibility. I'd love to know what makes mountain lion so technologically superior in design that regular lion can't run it?!
  • TheGabfatherTheGabfather Member Posts: 633
    yes, I know. I bought my old Macbook about 9 month ago for 600$. I can't afford to buy newest Apple computers. To buy this old macbook I save 3 month. each month by 200$. 600$ is big money for peoples how lives in my country and has medium 400$ month salary .
    You didn't consider getting a Mac Mini or at least a refurbished newer Macbook model?
  • nikkonnikkon Member, PRO Posts: 111
    edited September 2013
    @alarm656 and @nikkon
    I've had no such luck. Then again, i'm starting a new game, so it may be that existing provision profiles will work, but new ones won't (i tried and it said i need xcode 5).
    I have a feeling that if anyone is able to get away with xcode 4, it won't be for very long. Apple is is in a bad habit of being upgrade heavy lately with a complete disregard for backwards compatibility. I'd love to know what makes mountain lion so technologically superior in design that regular lion can't run it?!
    you need xcode 5 to install the provision profile on ios7. easy way around that is to just install iphone/ipad configuration utility . Then use that to install the provision profile and ad hoc build to the ipad/iphone with ios7..

the major stop to this will be when gamesalad or apple require xcode 5 to actually build/sign the app but atm it works fine on xcode 4.x
    I totally understand - in wealthy countries laptops are changed every year and they are always pushing forward. Old hardware does get phased out. And as @TheGabfather said there are cheaper options than laptops - Mac mini is a perfect example. This issue is only going to get worse as time goes on. It's just the way things are going I am afraid! Look at the new iPhones - they get twice as powerful year over year. All the best going forward :) M@
    Not a fan of it but the Gatekeeper is the major change - that dramatically affects apps etc.
    @alarm656 and @nikkon
  • 68kStudios68kStudios Member Posts: 219
    @codewizard I think the custom loading images for portrait universal apps is broke. It took my image and stretched it out a second after loading. This happened on two portrait universal apps I have, and only with the 10.4 build, it did not happen with nightlies.

edit: it also only happens on the iPad
    Yes, the splash screen in portrait mode is broken. Fix please!
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    @anatomyofdreams I'm working pretty much full time doing development now and I work with GS's everyday for 8 hours a day. I don't have any real problems. I've created several different projects over the past five month all ranging in type. All of them worked fine and I had no issues. I am also building a game from scratch in the nightly been through about 5 updates on that with the new game no problems. Yep there are a few minor things here an there but nothing like past versions.
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    -Scene.Camera.Rotation is broke :(

There is a fix (dont use the minus) but it makes testing on the mac impossible, see video below.

On the devices it runs fine but it rules out testing on the computer (see below)

Any news on this from GS would be great.

Darren.
  • FallingBoxStudiosFallingBoxStudios Freelance Graphic Designer Member Posts: 822
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is really going to help my game :D
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    -Scene.Camera.Rotation is broke :(

There is a fix (dont use the minus) but it makes testing on the mac impossible, see video below.

On the devices it runs fine but it rules out testing on the computer (see below)

Any news on this from GS would be great.

Darren.
    Ha! I mentioned this months ago with my pop'n penguin game (based on your template). To sort of get around it (not fix) I had a Boolean to switch modes that used either the minus or positive version of the code depending where I was going to test. Pain I know.
  • Can IAP & Platform - * be used as a free member?
  • XREVGAMESXREVGAMES Member, PRO Posts: 19
    edited September 2013
    I've had three issues that are not present on the creator, just when testing on an iPhone:
    1. Sometimes the game crashes when I click the pause button.
    2. Images are not as crisp, and are blurry.
    3. Images that are 1136x640 in size and are centered do not take up the entirety of the screen, instead there are tiny gaps on the left side of the screen. This does not show up in the creator, only when testing on a device.

I would also like to add that 2 and 3 were not problems in 10.3, just with 10.4.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.
  • natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304
    I am encountering an issue with the random function in the particles color change duration.

In the past this would cause a particle to choose its lifetime from random(x,y) at the start and fade out accordingly in a smooth fashion.

in 10.4 this causes a flicker as it's always updating the fade to a new random x,y length.
    While kind of a cool effect, it should be a completely different setting so we can still have smooth random fades.