Updated GameSalad Roadmap - September/October 2011

Comments

• OtherGuyStudiosOtherGuyStudios Member Posts: 26
    Well my game will be done in about a month. I can release it much sooner but i would rather make sure every last feature is perfect. And that everything runs smoothly. I have literally recreated most of my graphics 3 or 4 times. I finally settled on a style. My gameplay isnt super unique but its got some of its own twist and there isnt really an iphone game i found with the gameplay, only fount a flash game with similar gameplay. But my graphics and style are really unique and cool.

I have so many awesome game ideas but no time with having to work during the day the whole week :/
  • MammothMammoth Member Posts: 640
    The reason why we need IAP so badly is that when you are designing your game you have to include the IAP organically into the design. You can't really just tack on IAP to a game.

Ive personally sold a fair amount of games on the app store, but I really feel that if I had IAP I could make more money.
  • BlackbirdStudiosBlackbirdStudios Member Posts: 493
    Well I've heard IAP is making 72% of all revenue in the App Store. So it will definitely be a great tool to add to our games.
    Mammoth said:
    The reason why we need IAP so badly is that when you are designing your game you have to include the IAP organically into the design. You can't really just tack on IAP to a game.

That's true, the game has to be built with the idea that IAP will be encouraged. It has to be something that will make the IAP valuable enough to the player that they will buy it.

LIKE us on Facebook and Follow us on Twitter! :
    Blackbird Studios Facebook Page
    Blackbird Studios Twitter
  • greenrhynogreenrhyno Member, PRO Posts: 152
    I wonder if IAP will be the boon some people hope for. We definitely thought it would do better for our apps. Remember that only about 1% or less of people who get the app for free will buy an IAP. That means if you have an app with 500 free downloads a day, 5 people may buy an IAP. If it is IAP in a paid app, the percentage is much higher, but there are a lot less people buying apps than downloading them for free. You may get 5 sales and then 1 IAP. I mean it does help, and you can generate some additional revenue, but its not going to turn something that wasn't making money into something that is. It will just turn something that is making money into something that (maybe) is making slightly more money.

It is still a good feature to have, just trying to temper expectations a little.
  • GruntGrunt Member Posts: 109
    the in ap
    greenrhyno said:
    I wonder if IAP will be the boon some people hope for. We definitely thought it would do better for our apps. Remember that only about 1% or less of people who get the app for free will buy an IAP. That means if you have an app with 500 free downloads a day, 5 people may buy an IAP. If it is IAP in a paid app, the percentage is much higher, but there are a lot less people buying apps than downloading them for free. You may get 5 sales and then 1 IAP. I mean it does help, and you can generate some additional revenue, but its not going to turn something that wasn't making money into something that is. It will just turn something that is making money into something that (maybe) is making slightly more money.

It is still a good feature to have, just trying to temper expectations a little.

The whole process is more complex than this analysis. Can you provide the reference for this 1% because it should be far lower than that on average. Secondly like you ve said it will be good for a potentially good app which will already be selling and is being played. So if you intentionally or accidentally make a good selling app, its sales prospects will improve. Secondly, it is not just a free and basic paid version we are talking about. A single app has multiple in apps ranging to 1$ to many so no point in tempering.
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    Well I've heard IAP is making 97% of all revenue in the App Store. Which is even better.

Also something else to consider is that if your .99 game sells 200,000 copies a day, and you have a 5$ IAP that everyone buys - that's 1 million dollars on top of the initial 200K. And that's PER DAY. Minus Apple's percentage of course.
    firemaplegames said:
    Well I've heard IAP is making 97% of all revenue in the App Store. Which is even better.

Where did you get your numbers for IAP revenue percentage? That's wayyy to high. :)

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    firemaplegames said:

Also something else to consider is that if your .99 game sells 200,000 copies a day, and you have a 5$ IAP that everyone buys - that's 1 million dollars on top of the initial 200K. And that's PER DAY. Minus Apple's percentage of course.

Dang man you just sold me on IAP. I don't get why I didn't see that side of it before ;)
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Just watch Top income Games, the majority of them are free! They make money with In App!
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    FMG I know IAP made a lot of money for apple, but I think 97% is way to high, where do you see that from

@ chefs

0.9.8 beta?
    BlackbirdStudios said:
    Where did you get your numbers for IAP revenue percentage? That's wayyy to high. :)

calvin9403 said:
    FMG I know IAP made a lot of money for apple, but I think 97% is way to high, where do you see that from

Grunt said:
    the in ap

The whole process is more complex than this analysis. Can you provide the reference for this 1% because it should be far lower than that on average. Secondly like you ve said it will be good for a potentially good app which will already be selling and is being played. So if you intentionally or accidentally make a good selling app, its sales prospects will improve. Secondly, it is not just a free and basic paid version we are talking about. A single app has multiple in apps ranging to 1$ to many so no point in tempering.

The point I was trying to make is that IAPs will give a slight bump in revenue, not turn an app making no money into an app making tons of money.

You asked where I got the 1% figure for free apps. That is from experience and from reading other people's experiences with IAPs in free apps. You said it should be lower, which I guess is what the statement "1% or less" means.

The second "secondly" in your response is where things REALLY got confusing.

I do agree with firemaple that selling a $5 IAP to 97% your 200,000 daily purchasers is a good strategy when IAP becomes available.
    Grunt said:
    Secondly, it is not just a free and basic paid version we are talking about. A single app has multiple in apps ranging to 1$ to many so no point in tempering.

Also, I'm curious what other types of apps there are besides "free and basic paid". This is all very tempering to me.
    tenrdrmer said:

haha
  • DavisanDavisan Member Posts: 20
    i cann't wait for IAP version.
    Davisan said:
    i cann't wait for IAP version.

So do i
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    I can't wait for IAP. I'm curious to see some of the ways people are going to blame GameSalad because they aren't making any money from it.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    SlickZero said:
    I can't wait for IAP. I'm curious to see some of the ways people are going to blame GameSalad because they aren't making any money from it.

Ouch!
    /clicks "I like this"

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

SlickZero said:

I have done a couple of contracts where I made some games for people. I could have had a lot more if GS had IAP, facebook and twitter integration. These are the number 1 things that the clients ask for.

A solution for me would be to use corona instead. But the prices for these contracts are just too low and would not be worth the time trying to code in Corona.

But I understand the sentiment of "Gs doesn't have IAP therefore I cannot make money if GS doesn't have IAP."
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    MagoNicolas said:
    Just watch Top income Games, the majority of them are free! They make money with In App!

The majority of the Lowest income Games use the same model. Just sayin' ;)
    SlickZero said:

Wow I never thought of the positive spin on the massive influx of IAP games coming out of GameSalad. This should be be very interesting.
    firemaplegames said:
    The majority of the Lowest income Games use the same model. Just sayin' ;)

LOL so true!
  • JoVeJoVe Member Posts: 224
    And when comes video support?
    I'm waiting for it!
    I'm really interested to see wether or not GS will push out 0.9.8 this week before October is over. I'm not trying to rush it, but it'll just be interesting to see whether it happens or not.

Now we just sit back and wait….. ;)

• LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    Woooh! Just one more week. Can't wait. Hope GS team can make it.
    I will wait for at least a week before my next publish.
    Are you guys as excited as I am?
    LudwigHeijden said:
    Woooh! Just one more week. Can't wait. Hope GS team can make it.
    I will wait for at least a week before my next publish.
    Are you guys as excited as I am?

no, I am more excited then you lol

ya I hope GS make it too
  • vinny1575vinny1575 Member Posts: 26
    calvin9403 said:
    no, I am more excited then you lol

ya I hope GS make it too

I'm more excited than both of you guys!! Lol
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    Well it is the last week of september. Since game salad is my life, I eagerly await what is in the next update. Whatever it has I will be happy and I cannot wait for it to come out :)
    Mammoth said:
    Well it is the last week of september. Since game salad is my life, I eagerly await what is in the next update. Whatever it has I will be happy and I cannot wait for it to come out :)

Same here! But an update this week would be great! :D

This discussion has been closed.