Updated GameSalad Roadmap - September/October 2011

SFSF Member, Chef Emeritus Posts: 35
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give you all a quick update on our roadmap over the next few months. Thanks for all the insightful comments in the forums about your most requested features. Many of them we’ve been working on already; a few we've decided to slot ahead of others based on your feedback. Our team has been scoping them out and prioritizing them based on the size of the project and priority of community requests, and now we finally have something we can share with you.

Please understand that we need to balance introducing new features with our push toward a more stable 1.0 version of GameSalad. I know we had originally hoped to reach 1.0 by the end of the summer, but we’ve decided to hold off on officially calling it 1.0 until we feel it truly is worthy of taking off our beta tag. This will likely take a few more months, but you will continue to notice significant improvements in performance and stability with each coming release.

I also thought it would be helpful to share a little insight into how things run at GameSalad so you have a better sense of how things operate. We have three main engineering teams: our Native team that works on Creator, our Web team, that works on the website and related products, and the HTML5 team that works on our HTML5 engine and related products. It's understandable that you may think that work on features like HTML5 and Marketplace are coming at the expense of other core Creator features, but I can assure you these teams are working in parallel.

Also, we've been ramping up our Native team so we can start cranking out all of the features on the roadmap. However, it's not necessarily a plug-and-play situation – we put our new engineering hires through GameSalad boot camp first, where they get up to speed on our codebase and start off by fixing bugs. Once they graduate, they move on to work on core feature development. This process takes a few months, and I'm happy to say that we're getting a lot of firepower now that folks are properly trained and up to speed. You should notice a significant increase in feature output over the coming months.

Lastly, there are few things we've left off the updated roadmap as well. I won't leave any more cryptic clues, but we think you’ll be truly excited about them and I'll leave it at that. ;-)

So without further ado, here’s what we're targeting for the next couple months:

September
In-App Purchase
Game Center Achievements
Joints
Chrome Store Publishing
Lion Updates

October
Tables
Android Publishing
Facebook and Twitter Integration
Snap-to-grid

As always, full disclaimer that things may slip here and there, but I'm hopeful that things may also get done sooner than expected, plus a few surprise features that we hope to sneak in.

Please keep the feedback coming -- we're always listening and want to make sure we're doing everything we can to provide you the best product possible.

From the team at GameSalad, thank you for all your continued support and kind words.

Cheers,

Steve

Comments

• hotMagichotMagic Member, PRO Posts: 266
    Thanks for In app in sep. Just in time.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    When you say 'September', could you clarify that statement with a year as well please?

Ta!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• GamersRejoiceGamersRejoice Member Posts: 817
    I wish Facebook and Twitter integration would be up higher. Still though it's always nice to hear how things are run so we have a better understanding of what's going on. Thanks for the update.
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Where's video support? :(
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    WOW! Now Im HAPPY! This is PERFECT! Thanks GameSalad Team! I really need GameCenter Achievements and In App Purchase! :D

Will start working now on my game that will use In app Purchase, should be released by the end f October or first week of november so In app should be there :D

Btw, hope you guys solve Ram Problem, and improve Loading times :D
  • ChobbifaceChobbiface PRO Posts: 491
    Chrome store publishing as well, interesting
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    Uhm.. right... When you say tables does that include arrays?? And Where is the pixel/polygon image detection?? <-- This is #1 priority for many people.

Giacomo
  • gamedivisiongamedivision Member Posts: 807
    i can't wait to see these releases with better performance,says in a sarcastic voice.what time do we expect to see the ram fix today,I'm more excited to see that than the roadmap updates.im going to stay up extra late for this one,breaking out the coffee.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Would it not at least make sense to just put one coder on doing core editor improvements, and commiting them to concentrating on just that for a month... as thats the one area that people have been crying out for improvements and not getting any for the longest time.

Example...

"Bob... your tasked with sorting out the editor for this next month, your tasks are:

Grid Snap
    Improved layers (locking, hiding)
    multiple select, copy and paste of actors
    floating co-ordinate/actor pop up windows
    etc"

Surely, your not telling us thats more work than one coder... for one month. Trust me, if you are saying that, then your not pulling in the right calibre of staff.... maybe you should try to get in some experienced game coders, rather than specific tools coders.

Most of the games industry coders I know would eat that example list up and have it working within a week... so although I understand its not a straight-forward process, Im still confused at why the simplest improvements seem to keep getting delayed or take so long.

Or are the teams that small and inexperienced that you cant actually commit one person like that?....

Im sorry if Im sounding like Im having a go at the GS developers... I just want it to be the best tool it can be... but the recent updates and the lack of editor specific improvements are really starting to be frustratingly disappointing :(
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    Thanks for the update an the insight info.
    I am a happy GS'er ;)
  • gamedivisiongamedivision Member Posts: 807
    Chunkypixels said:
    Would it not at least make sense to just put one coder on doing core editor improvements, and commiting them to concentrating on just that for a month... as thats the one area that people have been crying out for improvements and not getting any for the longest time.

Example...

"Bob... your tasked with sorting out the editor for this next month, your tasks are:

Grid Snap
    Improved layers (locking, hiding)
    multiple select, copy and paste of actors
    floating co-ordinate/actor pop up windows
    etc"

Surely, your not telling us thats more work than one coder... for one month. Trust me, if you are saying that, then your not pulling in the right calibre of staff....

Or are the teams that small and inexperienced that you cant actually commit one person like that?....

i'll tell you what they think,and that is little releases here and there will take peoples focus off the performance issue,well guess what were going to keep badgering you until you sort it out,performance,performance, performance .if this was my company id stop all production on other updates and solely deal with the performance of this program,what is the point of adding more stuff to a program that struggles to handle what you've already got on it.
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    gamedivisionuk said:
    i'll tell you what they think,and that is little releases here and there will take peoples focus off the performance issue,well guess what were going to keep badgering you until you sort it out,performance,performance, performance .if this was my company id stop all production on other updates and solely deal with the performance of this program,what is the point of adding more stuff to a program that struggles to handle what you've already got on it.

Well, Actualy you are right, we can`t have this ram problem, this should be priority and should be fix now.

Cheers.
  • WyrdGuitaristWyrdGuitarist Member, PRO Posts: 91
    Nice post,

I know there will be loads of constructive criticism from other folks which is always interesting to read. I just appreciate the update on where things are :)
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    WyrdGuitarist said:
    Nice post,

I know there will be loads of constructive criticism from other folks which is always interesting to read.

It's a nice post. It seems to make things confusing though. Where did universal binaries go? That's a huge feature... and GameSalad seems so close to adding it... so I'm surprised that's not on the list. The roadmap is actually shorter, and a lot of stuff is now missing.

Also, there's no link included with the post... http://gamesalad.com/corporate/roadmap/ ...so the roadmap seems less important now.

Achievements is my favorite for September.
    Android Publishing in October is interesting.
    Tables are cool too.

...but this list seems like there's less to look forward to.

Where's...

• Targets: cleaner portfolio management and publishing
    • Scene editor improvements
    • Layer functions
    • Sprites
    • Splash screen options
    • Universal app builds
    • Video
    • Polygon collision
    • Enhanced monetization options
    • Scene transitions
    • Multiplayer
    • Gestures support
    • Actors referencing each other
    • Zoom in Preview
    • Additional Box2D feature integration
    • iOS device features (Vibrate, Flash, Gyroscope, device model info, iCloud)

Things I'd put on the road map...

• Expression Editor for Open URL
    • Send/Receive attribute data to web server
    • Unix Timestamp attribute added to Device Clock section
    • Export HTML 5
    • Web based game creation
    • Game Center Voice Chat
    • API for custom code / behaviors
    • Improved GameSalad website (new forum, less purple)

GameSalad is pretty close to solid, so it's tough watching the company struggle. If GameSalad launched 0.9.7 with universal binaries, I'd be too busy updating my apps to be concerned about a roadmap. HA HA. That's why these moments are especially frustrating. Better tools make better games. GameSalad is good software... it doesn't look like that much more work to make it great.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    Yes, please tell us when universal binaries are coming, I was very much looking forward to that along with GC achievements, FB and twitter...
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Thanks for the update Steve! While I appreciate the fact that you all are striving to add these much wanted features into the software, I also agree with Photics that several key features have been left off the road map. I'm sure you all will get to adding these in as soon as you can, but the way I see it, as soon as you make GameSalad able to do what Xcode can do without the code, you will see a HUGE jump in your user base. Again, being a programmer I know how long it takes to do stuff like this, so hopefully the new guys you have hired will speed up the output of these great and much needed features. Thanks again for the update and I look forward to what is too come!

- Alex
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
    Hey guys!

Just a reminder- this is merely an updated look at the next couple of months. Our goal is to provide more consistent, focused communication. We would like to provide you with a clear look at the features and additions are coming down the not-so-distant pipeline. We have definitely not forgotten about previously mentioned features in the original roadmap or your suggestions.

Also, for more information on the memory issue in the 0.9.7 release- please see the following thread: http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=30322&page=4

Hope that helps clarify things!
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    Lauren, Steve and GS, I can be very critical when it comes to communication issues. But when it's deserved, I also try to give some praise. I think the two yellow posts in this thread and the yellow post in the other thread re: memory fix coming today, when taken together are exactly what I am looking for when it comes to communication. No promises but solid info and estimates and clarifying that other features not on this specific roadmap but on the previous one are still being worked on but just a little to far out and so not included in the next two months. Good job. If you all keep up this type of communication (at least a couple times a week, even if specific details are not released) I thinkit will go a long way with us users. For the most part we only get so upset because we love GS and rooting for it to be the best it can be.

Again, nice posts. Hope you keep it up. :)
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Im excited for September and October ... You have 2 corners of the community fighting ... the red corner wants features where as the blue corner wants fixes to the tool itself. Im hoping with the news of a bigger team that GameSalad will become a knockout ... Look forward to all of the improvements and if what you say gets delivered i'll be a happy man :)
  • RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
    I'd like to suggest the feature of having the Change Scene behavior be able to include attributes i.e.

You could have a user type in what level they want to go to, then...

Change Scene To ---
    Level..game.WhatLevel
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    NextGen said:
    I'd like to suggest the feature of having the Change Scene behavior be able to include attributes i.e.

You could have a user type in what level they want to go to, then...

Change Scene To ---
    Level..game.WhatLevel

That has been discussed before and the reason it cannot work is Under the hood GameSalad doesn't know what scene "level 2" is. Thats because each scene is given a unique identifier number so it wont matter how many times you name a scene "level 2" GameSalad still knows which scene its looking for.
  • MetzoPainoMetzoPaino Member Posts: 195
    So what it seems like is that the things on the road map are things the GS team are fairly confident that they can deliver on, while in the past the roadmap was less focussed and so people were often disappointed.

I hope you guys can deliver. Good luck!
  • JamesLewisJamesLewis Member, PRO Posts: 109
    All very exciting - particularly Android publishing - could potentially double ones revenue.

UNIVERSAL BINARIES would be much appreciated ASAP.

And can you please set the icon default from the 'GLOSSY ICON' option to NO glossy icon - most developers don't use it.... and I keep forgetting to switch it off when publishing - drives me BONKERS!!! I've just rejected a binary in review since I realised its icon was glossy - awful...

Thanks

J
  • zombieaddictzombieaddict Member Posts: 213
    really happy with this
  • micksolomicksolo Member Posts: 264
    Thanks Steve, this is a really nice update. It looks like the communication channels are starting to get better which is really great to see and much appreciated.

This roadmap also looks much more specific than the vague one we had last time so this is really nice to see.

Thanks again!
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    calvin9403 said:
    thanks GS love the update

even though some things are gone, they are still awesome!

I guess no more update in August then :(

http://www.thatgameforum.com/
    http://itunes.apple.com/vn/app/candy-popp/id419541695?mt=8
    http://gshelper.com/
    http://cookbook.gamesalad.com/
    http://marketplace.gamesalad.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GameSaladCookbook#p/
    http://gamesalad.com/wiki/
    http://www.deepblueapps.com/Deep_Blue_Ideas_Ltd./Home.html
    http://www.gamesalad.es/
    http://thatgameforum.com/threads/gs-videos.360/
    my email: calvin9403@hotmail.com
    my skype: calvin9403

ok I am wrong

download gamesalad 0.971 now!
  • hdeandahdeanda Member, PRO Posts: 55
    In-App Purchase
    Game Center Achievements

Joints (Imagine what can be done with this)

Coming in September,

FANTASTIC!

The next few months are going to be great.
  • gamesmoldgamesmold Member, PRO Posts: 279
    These are great news, but does that mean that Universal Builds will come *after* October?

Due to Game Center, Universal Builds was (next to In App Purchasing) probably one of the most important features on the list.

At the moment, iPhone players can't compete against iPad players. Every successful Game Center game on the app store comes as a universal build...
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    Awesome roadmap! Can't wait! Although I wish better memory management and better loading times were on there. Maybe those are just silent features that will be coming as well and are just not in the roadmap?

thanks for the update Gamesalad
This discussion has been closed.