Updated GameSalad Roadmap - September/October 2011

Comments

• NesesitaGamesNesesitaGames Member Posts: 160
    JOINTS :D
    Thank you for the update. I'd love to receive updates via email as well, though, so I don't have to constantly check the forums.
  • Cee3pee0Cee3pee0 Member, PRO Posts: 194
    Thanks for this! Even if we dont get all the features we want all at once we really appreciate the communication! GS is a great tool that keeps getting better and better...
  • mithraweptmithrawept Member, PRO Posts: 167
    Snap to grid: Hurrah!!!
  • MammothMammoth Member Posts: 640
    Thanks GS. If there is anything you need to do is IAP.

I can't wait for september.
  • arcticsunrisearcticsunrise Member Posts: 159
    IMO

box2d and custom/polygon collision is essential because rectangle and circle are only useful for certain types of games and other software has custom collision masks or box2d shapes

inapp purchase for PRO is a nice extra for us PRO (paying) developers - thank you for adding more features for us paying users

android publishing is a very very cool option and wouldnt have expected this quite so soon tbh

tables/arrays is an essential inclusion if you want to give it a 1.0 release - if this is missing it will be slated so well done and thank you

other features which i have tweeted you about and have been on here such as snap to grid, a grid, xy coordinate display, sort actors and view by etc are nice features to speed up or improve workflow and as much as i want them they are niceties at present.

Thanks for the update

I hope that all of the people moaning about issues are people who pay for PRO - not just for those extra features but so that this company can invest in the future of GS and make it the best tool on the market.
  • SteverdSteverd Member Posts: 194
    Thanks for the update Steve.

September looks EXCITING!!

Steve
  • MammothMammoth Member Posts: 640
    Also are we talking beginning of September or the end of September?
  • rnyacoubrnyacoub Member Posts: 132
    well don guys, but what about load times? its the first source for bad reviews even if the game is well done.
    most of people dont complain for not having GC, they will ask for
    but will complain about load times.

Ps 83 out of 200 top games US app store have GC but the 200 have excellent performance '' no load times''
  • ZainZain Member Posts: 37
    Does Android publishing mean we can download gamesalad on Windows or only able to publish to Android via Mac?
  • DreamLabDreamLab Member Posts: 2,127
    Zain said:
    Does Android publishing mean we can download gamesalad on Windows or only able to publish to Android via Mac?

Second part yes, first part no. You can't use gamesalad on a PC. I'm sure they might work on it just for android stuff, but for now I think it just means we can publish to the android market via mac.
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Hi Steve
    SF said:
    Just wanted to give you all a quick update on our roadmap over the next few months.

In-app purchasing, snap-to-grid, joints and Android publishing are particularly exciting for me to look forward to.

The info concerning how things operate at GS HQ, I found really interesting; nice if you peppered future roadmap updates with such snippets of info!
    SF said:

Lastly, there are few things we've left off the updated roadmap as well. I won't leave any more cryptic clues, but we think you’ll be truly excited about them and I'll leave it at that. ;-)

Like Steve Jobs' Just one more thing? Like it! Nice idea; perhaps do the same for future roadmap updates? Like an extra present for us GS users.... ;-)

Thank you very much, Steve (+ rest of the GS team, of course). Exciting times ahead! :-)

---------------------------------------------
    http://www.davidgriffinapps.co.uk/

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    Wow! I didn't like the 0.97 update very much but if half the stuff on this list is completed it would definitely make up for it.
  • perfectanswerperfectanswer PRO Posts: 121
    I really appreciate the communication in this transparent way, for this a big thank you:)

IAP make many things much simpler, no more need for "light versions", IAP open so many doors and give us a better way to make money with our games.

Looking forward to test the features next month.
    Happy coding ;)
  • olster1olster1 Member Posts: 396
    This is great news but there needs to be one addition. Push Notifications. By the end of October GS should have nearly all the components to make a great freemium game. The one thing left to complete the set is Push Notifications. Please implement this feature asap :)
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    olster1 said:
    This is great news but there needs to be one addition. Push Notifications. By the end of October GS should have nearly all the components to make a great freemium game. The one thing left to complete the set is Push Notifications. Please implement this feature asap :)

You are right Olster, that would complement very good.
  • creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    I am waiting for that day when we move one scene to unother scene just like other games. That loading is really annoying. Any future plan to inlcude this in roadmap and remove that loading?
  • gamedivisiongamedivision Member Posts: 807
    What scares me the most is that.loading times and ram usage are not even a critical update,like we will improve it at every step we go,what like 0.9.7.seems to me that your biggest downfall is simply an after thought.
    I just don't understand that the amount of people asking you to sort this issue out,and it's not an actual fix on the roadmap.what do we have to do to get you to fix this,I've already seen people's games getting negative feedback for loading times on touch arcade.
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Deffo got to agree on the loading times issue.
    I have had a few negative reviews left because of it, and I think the loading times in my games are not all that bad really. But the average punter's expectations are such that, the loading times are unacceptable as they are at the moment.

Those of us who have been around for a while, will still remember the 15-20 second initial load times of some of the earlier versions...so this stuff "is" moving in the right direction. But they hasn't really been much of a mention about it for a while now....which is a worrying thing for us/me as paying customers.

Also, performance is a MASSIVE issue, that doesn't seem to get addressed much around these parts any more. SImilar games, made in other sdks, seem to have much better performance from the box2d physics engine.
    It seems all the optimisation in the world that we can do, still result in under-performance :(

just my 2p there.

GS still has the upper hand with their interface (even with all it's limitations), but it's the behind the scenes stuff with the engine that is now letting them down.
  • GruntGrunt Member Posts: 109
    Let us face it!! Loading time is the top issue which makes users of other SDKs to criticize GS! Can convert a lot of people who are using or are stuck with other SDKs if this is fixed.
    Regarding In app purchases, chrome, android...Thanks GS! I love you for this....It has relieved me from the curse of the Lite version and above all given an opportunity to share my game with almost the whole world...
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Great yellow posts guys. My next game will be built with some new features in mind.
    no point in leaving any comments here or anywhere for that matter apparently because it uses drag and drop features,loading times are never going to get any better.
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    gamedivisionuk said:
    no point in leaving any comments here or anywhere for that matter apparently because it uses drag and drop features,loading times are never going to get any better.

You're a ... People like you are the reason I hardly post on here any more, I still use GS every day. Learn to optimise, and whilst you're learning stuff, learn how to not be who sounds like a little whinging kid.

That's my post for the week.

Ace
    firstly it was a joke,secondly don't speak to people like that you moron,I'm not a kid I'm a 36 year old grown adult,and i live in the same town as you,so watch your ,plus I'm on your Skype so if've something to say give me call
    mynameisace said:
    You're a nob... People like you are the reason I hardly post on here any more, I still use GS every day. Learn to optimise, and whilst you're learning stuff, learn how to not be nob who sounds like a little whinging kid.

That's my post for the week.

Ace

• capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Member Posts: 371
    What's living in the same town got to do with it?
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    capitalcarnage said:
    What's living in the same town got to do with it?

Coz its easy for him to go and duff him up.

Seriously though guys lighten up. GameDivision, i think everyone gets it, you want an improvements on RAM and Loading Speed, keep banging on about it isnt going to do much other than annoy others. To be fair, GameSalad are crap at communicating but no doubt they've heard your concerns. It is Beta software, you can try before you buy with free version so you cant really complain too much ... You should of known exactly what you were getting.
  • capitalcarnagecapitalcarnage Member Posts: 371
    Ohhh, no duffing up please chaps.
  • TheHooglerTheHoogler Member Posts: 102
    I wouldn't be proud of your age. You sound like a kid who just learned to swear. You seem to have a personal grudge against GS. If you hate a product, you should use a different one. Would you bitch on the company forums if your Charmin toilet paper chaffed your ass? No, you'd go use Corona brand wipes. Stop trying to start fights.
    fair point beefy,i shan't say another thing about loading times.it just gets my goat when people get rude hiding behind a computer screen.anyways I'm calm now need a coffee me thinks
    beefy_clyro said:
    Coz its easy for him to go and duff him up.

Seriously though guys lighten up. GameDivision, i think everyone gets it, you want an improvements on RAM and Loading Speed, keep banging on about it isnt going to do much other than annoy others. To be fair, GameSalad are crap at communicating but no doubt they've heard your concerns. It is Beta software, you can try before you buy with free version so you cant really complain too much ... You should of known exactly what you were getting.

god and then someone else feels it necessary to mouth off,who mentioned being proud,who mentioned corona,I'm using GS
    TheHoogler said:
    I wouldn't be proud of your age. You sound like a kid who just learned to swear. You seem to have a personal grudge against GS. If you hate a product, you should use a different one. Would you bitch on the company forums if your Charmin toilet paper chaffed your ass? No, you'd go use Corona brand wipes. Stop trying to start fights.

This discussion has been closed.