Flappy Bird creator to release new game and guess what?!

jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584
edited August 2014 in Non-GS Game News

The creator of Flappy Bird is set to release a new game this Thursday on the Appstore, according to Touch Arcade/Mashable.

Ironically, Swing Copters has been compared to The Helicopter Game created by David McCandless in 2000. Its creator even tweeted about the similarities, calling it "another rip of my helicopter game."

Story

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon

Comments

• Fal01Fal01 Member Posts: 460

Note to self; Better get my "FlappyFlippyFloppySwingyBirdyFishyCoptery" game out ASAP!

PS. Has anyone made a template yet? :\

It’s not a bug – it’s an undocumented feature

• AdnanHAdnanH Member Posts: 77

Son of a peep!!! Lol I started working on a idea like that 2 days ago I thought it was unique but I can't seem to get the walls to come downwards

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159

Ketchapp has this mechanic in amazing brick, but since its the creator of flappy bird releasing this game, this will probably take of like a spacerocket :)

• Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326

This is just sad that some developers are taking the chance and cash in on Swing Copters. I think people are going, "oh if i say it is a clone of my game, my game will also be noticed and downloaded".

Can't wait for the release!

my game is not a clone if it has nothing to do with swinging objects?:L i dont need to copy others as i do this for fun its not a full time job.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334
    edited August 2014

This is just Flappy Bird rotated 90 degrees, with some vaguely swinging objects added. It'll be successful because of where it's coming from, but it does imply that he's somewhat of a one trick pony.

With luck people will recognise this is just more of the same and we'll get a new smash hit game that's actually interesting.

Edit: With this, my 1,041st comment, I earned the 1,000 comment badge! :D

• ImNiklasImNiklas Member Posts: 103
    edited August 2014

@Armelline said:
    Edit: With this, my 1,041st comment, I earned the 1,000 comment badge! :D

That's beacuase started discussions don't count :p

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

@ImNiklas said:
    That's beacuase started discussions don't count :p

Wow, did not know that :D Seems a weird distinction, though. A started discussion is also a comment :D

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

Lol -- It's the same game as Flappy Bird..I hope he's ready to pull this one when it becomes "too addicting."

@Armelline said:
    Wow, did not know that :D Seems a weird distinction, though. A started discussion is also a comment :D

Additionally, threads that get deleted completely erase any comments you've made (not sure if that's the case with closing threads, too). Your counter may indicate a number more than you actually have because of this. An accurate way to tell how many comments you have is to go to your profile and look under the "comments" section. A number will be displayed there.

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648

I'm gonna be ready for this... I need funding and to catch a break like IronPants did during the Flappy wave.

• FallingBoxStudiosFallingBoxStudios Freelance Graphic Designer Member Posts: 822

The game looks fun, but it's just flappy bird but sideways :neutral_face:

• BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764

If this game was being released by any other person, it would not have even been noticed.

• iKandyiKandy Imagineer of Crazy Shit New York CityMember Posts: 310

Bring on the clones... who has the template?

• tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

Not to worry. The lemmings if the world will just love this regardless of quality. Simply because of the brand name behind it. Morons will never learn!!

• lobosco_estudiolobosco_estudio Member Posts: 98

Well, It's a Vertical Flappy Bird but with much more creative than any flappy bird clone!
    I think the guy knows how make addictive games!

• gamewizard99gamewizard99 Member, PRO Posts: 67

I think I'll try to create a Flappy Copters game tonight, I've just made it a vertical flappy bird and it works although the movement side to side needs a bit of testing. Now to create some new art and maybe add some swinging things ;)

How much for the template GameWizard?

I've made a working version with the working swings. I just don't fully understand how the character is supposed to move; is it supposed react the same every time, or more if you hold it down for a few seconds?

edited August 2014

@iKandy Sorry, I'm not putting the template up for sale. I'm not exactly sure how the movement is supposed to work in Dong's game and it needs more of a work to be a proper template. Its based off another template (one of the many Flappy Bird ones) so selling this on wouldn't feel right as a portion is someone else's work. I'll add more tonight and see how it goes, I'll offer any help I can on specific parts of creating it once I've finished it, thanks for the interest :)
    P.S I'm sure GShelper and DBA and others will have templates out very soon

• gingagaminggingagaming FREELANCE GS DEV Member Posts: 1,685
    edited August 2014

Here is my WIP Clone Template @iKandy‌ I wasnt going to bother but couldnt help it...

edited August 2014

@gingagaming said:

Here is my WIP Clone Template iKandy‌ I wasnt going to bother but couldnt help it...

Can I get that one lol.

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692

@gamewizard99‌
    P.S I'm sure GShelper and DBA and others will have templates out very soon

Not unless I do it while I'm sleep walking :)

Darren.

edited August 2014

I figured out how the movement work, so here's my quick demo I made :) It still needs some improvement before anyone should publish it ;)

It's really laggy when I record, but when I don't it's very smooth!

@iamcartez said:
    Can I get that one lol.

Ill have it done by the morning @iamcartez‌

Right on Gingagaming!

• DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159
    edited August 2014

@gingagaming said:
    Ill have it done by the morning iamcartez‌

:grin:

edited August 2014

Flappy Copters has just been sent off to Apple yay :D I'll do daily updates to the game, the main thing was securing the name and getting it out quickly but making sure everything works and it looks quite nice. Hopefully it gets accepted

I'm gonna try and publish my version off tomorrow inall:P but I want to send to android aswell as apple and I've never done it with android wish me luck!!

Latest WIP before I hit the sack...