A quick hello

Comments

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    Welcome aboard Dan :)

Darren.
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    Welcome aboard
  • FallingBoxStudiosFallingBoxStudios Freelance Graphic Designer Member Posts: 822
    Hi Dan! Welcome to the GameSalad community :)
  • LittlePhoenixLittlePhoenix Member Posts: 42
    Welcome to the post Dan :-)
  • HymloeHymloe Member Posts: 1,653
    Welcome Dan, great to hear there's another new experienced game developer on board, in upper management. Fantastic!

SOL: Exodus looks cool, some really good reviews of it at The Escapist and Destructoid in particular. Great for the hardcore space fans!

Would be awesome if you can lure a few more talented developers in over the coming months. :) Rock on.
  • saif_shammarisaif_shammari Member Posts: 128
    Welcome Dan B-)
  • dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699
    Welcome! You don't like snow? Not even to play in?
    My kids think it's fun (the two or three times they've seen it in person), but I'm not a big fan of shoveling it or driving in it...

I'll confess to a mild affection for white Christmases but that's all you're getting out of me ;)

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

Welcome Dan, great to hear there's another new experienced game developer on board, in upper management. Fantastic!

SOL: Exodus looks cool, some really good reviews of it at The Escapist and Destructoid in particular. Great for the hardcore space fans!
    Thanks, glad to be here and I think we've got a great mix of backgrounds and skills.

SOL was definitely a labor of love and I'm really proud of what we were able to do with that game. We got dinged by several reviewers who I don't think realized the dev team was just five people. D'Toid, Kotaku and the Escapist were the outlets that actually spent some time talking to the team and realized what we were trying to do and the limitations we had.

Unfortunately we just didn't get enough traction to keep going, so we had to shut it down. But that's life in the game industry.

Would be awesome if you can lure a few more talented developers in over the coming months. :) Rock on.
    Don't have anything concrete to share at the moment, but rest assured that everyone we bring on will be talented and awesome. :)

• BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274
    Welcome!
  • JagonAppsJagonApps Member Posts: 241
    edited September 2013
    @dgackey Welcome! So Dan, when you getting one of those swanky pixel characters, eh?
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Welcome Dan,

So can we expect you will be attempting to fill the insanely massive void the community is gaining when @saladstraightshooter makes his final departure this week??
    Welcome Dan,

So can we expect you will be attempting to fill the insanely massive void the community is gaining when @saladstraightshooter makes his final departure this week??
    Don't think there's any way I could fill his shoes, but I will certainly be doing my best to stay active on the forums when not otherwise occupied. But as you've already seen, @CodeWizard is a man of the people and will also be helping to fill that void.

I ask only for your patience while I get up to speed.

• TheSkinTheSkin Member Posts: 74
    welcome :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Welcome, Dan.

I have to ask, as I asked codewizard the same thing when he came onboard. Were you a part of Paragon Studios when NCSoft decided to shut it down, and therefore closing City of Heroes? Still have a bitter taste in my mouth for NCSoft, especially how that all went down with the employees, and the player base.

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know you better.

Welcome, Dan.

I have to ask, as I asked codewizard the same thing when he came onboard. Were you a part of Paragon Studios when NCSoft decided to shut it down, and therefore closing City of Heroes? Still have a bitter taste in my mouth for NCSoft, especially how that all went down with the employees, and the player base.

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know you better.

No, I sure wasn't. Paragon was out in SF, and @CodeWizard and myself worked in the Austin office. I was heading up a new project that never saw the light of day, unfortunately. However, the lead designer on my team was a former COH designer by the name of Sean Fish, who you may have known on the forums as Manticore.

After NC shut down most of its development, I started up a studio for 2K games here in town, and one of our team was Jo Burba (who was once a CR on the game as CuppaJo).

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Oh wow. Yes, I knew who Sean was, and his Manticore Task Force. And Cuppa was always on the forums, and the developer/community events. I was in a SG called "Paragon City Search and Rescue" for 8 years, and we had regular contact with Cuppa. She was awesome. That's really cool you all worked together. Hope they're all doing good, and glad you are onboard the GameSalad team with codewizard now as well.
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    Looking forward to the coming months, exciting stuff with all these new hires. Welcome, @dgackey :)
    - Thomas
  • clee2005clee2005 http://Donkeysoft.caMember, PRO Posts: 194
    Welcome welcome welcome. Gamesalad is really making some great strides. It's exciting stuff.
  • OskarDeveloperOskarDeveloper Member Posts: 533
    Like the hat
  • kolabokolabo Member Posts: 240
    Like the hat
    Yeah, nice hat! Welcome here.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    NCsoft
    There's that name again.
  • artfishartfish Member, PRO Posts: 369
    welcome!!! :D
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Welcome aboard, Dan! Looks like GameSalad has made another great hire.

- Alex
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    Why do I suddenly hear the theme from Raiders of the lost Ark? It's the hat right? Must be the hat.
  • FajlajpFajlajp Member Posts: 666
    Welcome to the GS community :) I hope you will feel like home ;)