A quick hello

dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699
edited September 2013 in News from the Dev Team
Hello everyone, wanted to introduce myself.

As @CodeWizard mentioned in last week's State of GameSalad update, I'm the new Director of Operations here at GameSalad. My name is Dan Magaha and it's wonderful to be here ;)

I'll be working with Stephen and the rest of the team on all kinds of exciting stuff in the very near future, but focused at the moment on coordinating our move to a new office, so please bear with me as I get up to speed with the studio, the product, and our customers.

A bit of background: I've been making games since 1999. I started my career with Firaxis Games in Hunt Valley, MD and had the honor of working with my idol, Sid Meier, on several titles over my time there. I moved to Austin in 2007 to join NCsoft (which is where @CodeWizard and I met!), and most recently was the Studio Director and Exec Producer for a small studio here in Austin called Seamless Entertainment (we launched an Unreal-powered space shooter called "SOL: Exodus" last year on Steam).

At any rate, very pleased to be joining the GameSalad team and I've been really blown away with the products that you guys have been making with the tools. Steve, Stephen and I all share a common passion for helping you guys make the best quality and most successful games, and I look forward to working with you guys in the near future :D

Dan

Dan Magaha · COO · GameSalad, Inc · danm@gamesalad.com

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited September 2013
    Hello and welcome, Dan! It's great to have you on board. I'm excited to see the things you push out for us! I guess that sounds selfish, but I just can't think of anything else to say. Excited to have you!

Cheers,
    Braydon

EDIT: Wow! You have the Two Year Anniversary badge already? Phew! Time flies! ;)
  • mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    Nice one welcome from me too :) Sid Meier eh? WOW :D
  • natzuurnatzuur Member Posts: 304
    edited September 2013
    Why hello, looks like you have some great credentials. Welcome!

EDIT: Wow! You have the Two Year Anniversary badge already? Phew! Time flies! ;)
    And you can time travel too. =P
  • dgackeydgackey Austin, TXInactive, PRO, Chef Emeritus Posts: 699
    @Braydon_SFX not on the forums, but as a GameSalad user. I registered for an account when I heard about the product but hadn't participated in the forums until today.

First job in the industry! I grew up playing Microprose games and never thought I'd meet the guy, much less work for him. 100% as brilliant as advertised, with none of the diva attitude that a guy of his stature is entitled to.

I still have a lot of friends there. The X-Com remake was largely comprised of members of the team I managed when we made Railroads!.

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    Ahh so your a forum lurker - At least you know what your getting yourself into! :))
    Welcome.
  • KillerPenguinStudiosKillerPenguinStudios Member Posts: 1,291
    I started my career with Firaxis Games in Hunt Valley, MD and had the honor of working with my idol, Sid Meier, on several titles over my time there.
    The CrAzY part about this is that I live in Westminister MD which is about 30 min from Hunt Vally. Mind Blown!!!

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    Hooray for Dan joining us!
    I started my career with Firaxis Games in Hunt Valley, MD and had the honor of working with my idol, Sid Meier, on several titles over my time there.
    The CrAzY part about this is that I live in Westminister MD which is about 30 min from Hunt Vally. Mind Blown!!!

I used to live in Reisterstown, drove through "West Minister" all the time :) I do miss the fall, but not the snow. Good God, not the snow.

Ahh so your a forum lurker - At least you know what your getting yourself into! :))
    Welcome.
    I was the community manager at Firaxis during the Civ III days, so I've done a couple tours of duty, so to speak. The GS forums will, I'm sure, be an illuminating experience :)

• KillerPenguinStudiosKillerPenguinStudios Member Posts: 1,291
    I used to live in Reisterstown, drove through "West Minister" all the time I do miss the fall, but not the snow. Good God, not the snow.
    Stupid computer auto corrected it from Westminster to Westminister. Hate that. Yep, I drive through Reisterstown a lot. It truly is a small world! Hahahahahah, I personally like the snow only for the snowboarding aspect! Besides that, snow can die or melt to death! How ever you want to look at it. :p
  • lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    Congratulations @dgackey on your appointment and welcome to the community :)
  • fadamionfadamion Member, PRO Posts: 309
    welcome
  • neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    @dgackey Welcome nice to have you here ... Looking forward to exciting times ;-)
  • zzap64zzap64 Member Posts: 405
    Welcome aboard.
  • TheGabfatherTheGabfather Member Posts: 633
    Hello Dan :-j swell credentials!

Welcome -- I hope you can bring even more awesome magic to the software as well as to the community! Cheers.
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    edited September 2013
    Hey Dan.
    Welcome to GS & the community.
    Wishing you a good time at GS & the forums
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Welcome, sir!

I hope your experience as a gamer will come to the fore!

Best wishes,

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272
    Welcome Dan. Good luck with the new job!
  • BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    Hey Dan, great to have you here - come in and make yourself comfortable :)
  • mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    I grew up on the Vic 20 > Spectrum 48k > so remember the Microprose games from then even - all class ^:)^
    First job in the industry! I grew up playing Microprose games and never thought I'd meet the guy, much less work for him. 100% as brilliant as advertised, with none of the diva attitude that a guy of his stature is entitled to.

I still have a lot of friends there. The X-Com remake was largely comprised of members of the team I managed when we made Railroads!.

• sincitygamessincitygames Member, PRO Posts: 6
    Welcome! Hope to see big things in the future!
  • DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159
    Welcome to a wonderful community! :)
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    Welcome! You don't like snow? Not even to play in?
  • GamepencilerGamepenciler Artist/Game Developer Member, PRO Posts: 326
    Welcome and nice to meet you mate :)

Artist/Game Developer / Animator at your service..

• gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598

@dgackey Hi Dan, and welcome. :-)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• HauschildStudiosHauschildStudios Member, PRO Posts: 71
    juhuu new members welcome Dan
  • Claudia247Claudia247 Member Posts: 12
    As I am 6 hrs earlier than you with my first post, feel duty bound to say welcome :-)
  • jigglybeanjigglybean Member Posts: 1,584
    Welcome to the GS community.

Like Balls? Then click here! We've 100 coming soon