Behold! The GameSalad Roadmap...

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
We've been compiling a page that outlines what we're working on right now and what's coming in the future. Feel free to consume it and enjoy! It's not yet exhaustive but we'll keep on updating it and refining it. Comments are welcome!

http://gamesalad.com/roadmap

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
  • GameLabs222GameLabs222 Member Posts: 197
    Good stuff!
  • EOSEOS Member Posts: 74
    The roadmap is looking pretty good, I like where things are headed. Although I have to admit my heart sank a bit after noticing neither custom collision shapes nor joints made even the 'longer goals' list.
  • brickamatorbrickamator Member Posts: 316
    WHat about Joints and collision improvements?
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    Yeah, they're on the list too... just pretty far down. I'll do another pass on the roadmap to include such things soon.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @codewizard
    So something I have wondered and this roadmap only further confuses things for me.

Its says now "Native Lua". So has the Lua free Native engine been scrapped completely? or is it now some sort of Hybrid of the two that where once in in the works as separate engines??
    edited September 2013
    Allow me to quote myself from back in April:
    Native Engine
    This first thing on my list to talk about is the “Lua free” native engine. This has been talked about for a long time and you should know where it’s at and how we’re going to get these critical improvements to you.

The good news is that we’ve made a lot of progress toward improving the engine through this work. Sadly, we’ve run into some issues that are making us rethink how we’ll roll these changes out to you. We need to be extra careful so that we don’t break your existing games and in-progress work.

To that end, we’re refocusing our efforts on bringing the various improvements to you in a more iterative way. By that, I mean we’ll be optimizing the existing Lua-based engine using what we’ve learned while working on the native engine. When possible, we’ll also bring over any applicable native engine work directly.

The goal is to get optimizations and engine improvements into your hands more quickly and with less risk to your projects. I’m sure we can all agree that’s a good approach. You’ll start seeing the fruits of this effort very soon.

An ongoing critical priority for us will be to iterate on optimizing the engine and laying the groundwork to make more sophisticated features like joints, skeletal animation, custom physics shapes, custom fonts and multiplayer a reality. Expect regular status updates on this work each week.
    Lua engine is still here. We're optimizing it. And it's native. Sorry for any confusion. :)
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

Lua engine is still here. We're optimizing it. And it's native. Sorry for any confusion. :)
    Is it also restless??? :O

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

It is restless. We have it on medication. :D
  • wolala123wolala123 Member Posts: 248
    Will comes with support windows phone platform?
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited September 2013
    I'm basically waiting for tracking to be removed from GameSalad. I didn't see it mentioned on the list.
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    Nice, good to know the priorities and what's going on. I'm a little sad that creator improvements are so far down, but I guess we'll just have to wait :)
    - Thomas
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    *In awe*
    Allow me to quote myself from back in April:
    Native Engine
    This first thing on my list to talk about is the “Lua free” native engine. This has been talked about for a long time and you should know where it’s at and how we’re going to get these critical improvements to you.

The good news is that we’ve made a lot of progress toward improving the engine through this work. Sadly, we’ve run into some issues that are making us rethink how we’ll roll these changes out to you. We need to be extra careful so that we don’t break your existing games and in-progress work.

To that end, we’re refocusing our efforts on bringing the various improvements to you in a more iterative way. By that, I mean we’ll be optimizing the existing Lua-based engine using what we’ve learned while working on the native engine. When possible, we’ll also bring over any applicable native engine work directly.

The goal is to get optimizations and engine improvements into your hands more quickly and with less risk to your projects. I’m sure we can all agree that’s a good approach. You’ll start seeing the fruits of this effort very soon.

An ongoing critical priority for us will be to iterate on optimizing the engine and laying the groundwork to make more sophisticated features like joints, skeletal animation, custom physics shapes, custom fonts and multiplayer a reality. Expect regular status updates on this work each week.
    Right so then I would be correct in saying the "lua free" native engine advertised way back when is dead. And the plan is to make the lua based native engine as good or better than we ever expected the lua free engine to be.
  • BoomshackBarryBoomshackBarry Member Posts: 712
    I love the smell of new Gamesalad features in the morning...
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    The Roadmap page is great, I love to see what things to expect relatively soon and what plans there are for the engine in the future...Looking forward to so many features on the list... and happy to wait (for a bit). Also thanks for introducing me to the word 'Obfuscation' thats a beauty.

Glad to see push notifications is on the long distant to do list... be great way to keep players engaged in a multiplayer game... ie. 'It's your turn to play your move on Audio Invaders ".

@CodeWizard is there any tiny way you can give a little information on how the multiplayer async might work. Even if it is accompanied with a large caveat of 'this could still fall through, or not happen as described'. I'd love to know so I could plan a game with it in mind.

Quick couple of questions regarding multiplayer.
    - Will it be iOS only, or cross platform (i.e. players on an ipad can play against players on an Android phone and players on a HTML5 app Facebook page).
    - How much info will be able to be shared between players? a whole table which is updated? on each others games ... a select few attributes?
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,880
    edited September 2013
    Is the HTML5 updates happening as we speak? I tested a proto this week that to my surprise it worked very well.
  • RubiWorksRubiWorks Member Posts: 130
    Oh Congratulations!! that is fantastic because i enter every days to look any news of the new released!!

Only a countdown or a percentage to next version of GS it would be fantastic!!
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    Thanks for the roadmap, it's looking cool :)

You asked for feedback/comments so here's mine... can you please consider adding time frames as to when you anticipate certain things to happen? At least the things that are close to being completed like 10.4 and 11. I don't think anyone would kick up a fuss if you said 10.4 is estimated to be released by x date and you were a day or two late from your estimate. It sounds a little better than it's almost here which seems to be said every week. How long is almost? And how far away is that corner that it's just around?

Please don't take this post too negatively :)
  • lobosco_estudiolobosco_estudio Member Posts: 98
    The greats improvements is commig! I realy like that!
    I don't think anyone would kick up a fuss if you said 10.4 is estimated to be released by x date and you were a day or two late from your estimate.
    Haha you would be surprised at how stupid people have gotten when GameSalad has missed estimated time frames in the past. It's amazing even just a few days delay will have destroyed someone's plans for major success with their app.

Though I otherwise agree with you it would be nice to have some idea of when. Besides its coming soon.
  • TheGabfatherTheGabfather Member Posts: 633
    edited September 2013
    Engine Extensibility - YES! +1000

edit: How do you get to the Roadmap page from the site?
  • artfishartfish Member, PRO Posts: 369
    Native Plugins, Scripted Behaviors, Visual Behavior Creation
    Now just make it all happen! YaY!!!
    :D
    edited September 2013
    @CodeWizard as well as my previous suggestion can you please show a last modified date at the top of the road map? That way we don't have to read through the whole thing regularly to see if wording here or there has changed.
    edited September 2013
    Good idea. :) Done.
    Thank you :)

• Fal01Fal01 Member Posts: 460
    When can we expect the custom loading wheel feature?

It’s not a bug – it’s an undocumented feature

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited September 2013
    @CodeWizard

Interesting, no reply. I don't consider myself one of those tinfoil hat guys, but this secrecy over tracking is strange to me. It shouldn't be too hard to remove tracking. It shouldn't be so hard to put it on the roadmap either. So if this isn't a technical issue... what is it?

Blink twice if the NSA got you.
    You might want to include the time as well as the date, as I'm thinking you might be updating the roadmap more than once a day.