Kiip Questions & Answers

13»

Comments

• entersimonentersimon Member, PRO Posts: 273
    GameSalad should not be taking a cut at all from revenue earned with Kiip, and quite frankly I'm surprised that so many people seem willing to give up hard earned money on top of the $500 they're spending to get Pro Features. It's not a "who cares so long as I'm making some money" scenario. This is a big deal.

Say you make very successful games that are totaling out at $100 a day combined in Kiip advertising. After a 50% split with Kiip, this gives us $50 a day paid to GameSalad, who will then be in charge of paying us.

Let's say GS takes their % off of the $50 rather than off of the $100. If they were to take it off the 100% then you can essentially double the numbers here. Here's a breakdown of how much you are paying for likely percentages annually.

At 10%, GS would be taking a $5 cut daily. That would be $1,825 a year + $500 for the Pro Membership. Totaling $2,325 a year paid to GS.

At 20%, GS would be taking a $10 cut daily. That would be $3,650 a year + $500 for Pro Membership. Totaling $4,150 a year paid to GS.

At 30%, GS would be taking a $15 cut daily. That would be $5,475 a year + $500 for Pro Membership. Totaling $5,975 a year paid to GS.

If this were being rolled out as a free feature, then they would absolutely be in the right with taking a cut, but us Pro Users pay a premium fee yearly to get these features to help us make more money. It is not greed. The Pro Membership is a product that we are paying for to be able to integrate special features in our apps, all with the goal of helping us monetize our work. I'm not developing apps to make GameSalad money. I'm developing apps to make myself money, and I'm paying GameSalad a lot of money for features that help me do that. If GameSalad wants to take a cut of the profits earned from Kiip advertising, then they should remove the Kiip service from being a Pro feature and make it free for everyone.

I am 100% opposed to GameSalad taking any cut from money earned using Kiip advertising. I really hope they weren't planning on doing so.
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    @entersimon: I couldn't agree with you more! I know there are those who don't mind GameSalad taking a cut, but not only does this have the potential of greatly increasing GameSalad's revenue they generate from pro users by double dipping, but it also sets a precedent. GameSalad announced the other day of there plans to help their developers make money from their games on multiple platforms in multiple ways. While this is very exciting, if GameSalad ends up taking a cut from our Kiip revenues, what's to say they won't try to take revenues from other features as well. I realize we don't know for sure weather or not GS will be taking a cut from any pro feature or not, but I think it is important for Pro users to voice there opinions on this issue.

I also don't think Kiip should be a free feature. It is obvious there are some developers using GameSalad trying to make a quick buck, and will release an app they either didn't write or shouldn't have written trying to rob as many people as possible, thus giving GameSalad a bad rep. We have all seen this happen countless times, and no doubt will happen again. By giving these same developers access to Kiip Rewards, they would abuse the crap out of the feature, which would end up hurting all of us because users would grow sick of seeing a Kiip reward every 5 min. I know I'm talking about a small percentage of GameSalad developers who abuse the system and that there are much more honest people working hard to make enough money to buy a pro license. But, as I'm sure we can all agree, a few idiots can ruin something great for all of us.

It would be nice to get a definite answer from GameSalad on weather or not they will be taking a cut out of Kiip revenue from our share or not so we can stop speculating about it.

- Alex
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Well Lucky for all of us We don't know how GameSalad gets paid but Keep this in mind. They are a business and must make money. So If they are gonna put effort into making new ways for us to make money their motivation is to make more money in the same time. I have never said I'm cool with them double dipping. But if thats what they put in front of me and I use it then I have to accept that.

For all we know Kiip is paying GameSalad to put their service in our apps. Do you still see it as double dipping? I don't, I see it as game salad capitalizing on an opportunity that is beneficial for all.

• entersimonentersimon Member, PRO Posts: 273
    Keep this in mind: they are a business. They need us to make money. Without positive word of mouth and hard working developers making quality games they won't grow. We do not have to sit back and "accept it" if things are fundamentally flawed in the eyes of the users. Expanding the user base as a whole would be way more effective for growth rather than breaking the backs of their paying users.

That being said, there is far too much conjecture here. We don't know what the partnership model is yet. Without a doubt the deal has been made which is a positive for GameSalad as a company, and I'm sure they believe it will be a positive addition for their users as well. I just wanted to make it as clear as I can why I am completely opposed to the idea of profit sharing with GameSalad on top of the premium fee being paid for annual Pro Membership.
  • mu-kowAPPSmu-kowAPPS Member Posts: 233
    I don't see why GS doesn't just tell us.

Seriously, just tell us.
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    At this point because GS isn't responding to the double dipping dilemma I would assume they are highly considering doing it. Someone should make a petition of members that would leave from this kind of greed. Just so they have an idea at how much more it will hurt them from doing so. Just a thought.
  • mu-kowAPPSmu-kowAPPS Member Posts: 233
    They aren't responding because they obviously don't care about their user base.
This discussion has been closed.