Kiip Questions & Answers

MChewieMChewie Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 32
edited November 2011 in News from the Dev Team
We've gotten some great questions about the GameSalad/Kiip partnership, and wanted to communicate some additional information to you. Hopefully these points will provide more information prior to launch.

Will Kiip be a Pro-only feature?
Yes. We think Kiip will be an excellent revenue model to allow our Professional developers to enter the Free-to-Play market.

Will Kiip work on my Android games?
We are working diligently to bring the android version of Kiip to Professional developers simultaneously with the iOS version. However, there is a possibility that Kiip will debut on iOS first, with Android following shortly thereafter.

What about Kiip approval/throttling?
Upon launch, your application will be enabled for live rewards. Developers who are not compliant with Kiip's terms of service may have rewards disabled in their application at any time. If Kiip is disabled in your application, it will not affect your users' experience or cause the app to stop working.

Examples of non-compliance:
  • An application with a button to unlock an achievement.
  • Unlock achievements on launch, or upon a trivial (i.e jumping) action by the user.
  • Unlocking many achievements simultaneously.
How do the Kiip points work?
When creating an achievement, you are asked to supply a value for that achievement. This value lets us determine how valuable an achievement is. The higher the value, the harder the achievement should be to reach. You have a maximum of 1000 points to allocate. This can be done in the achievements tab of the dashboard.

Does my game have to be free of charge to use Kiip?
No. It does not matter if your game is free or paid to give rewards to your players through Kiip.

How do I get paid?
Kiip will track reward triggers and pay out to GameSalad with a full report. GameSalad will pay developers directly. Revenue is recorded when a reward is claimed.

We will be posting a set of Best Practices for Kiip (composed collaboratively between the GameSalad and Kiip teams) as we get closer to launching the new feature. Also, if you have questions, please post them on our forums; we'll do our best to answer them.

Comments

• LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    If the revenue passes through GameSalad, does GS take a cut before it goes to the developer?
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Adding to LiquidGameworks question above, what exactly is the revenue split? Does Kiip take a cut? Does GameSalad take a cut? Or does all the revenue go to the developer?

- Alex
  • dingosmoovdingosmoov Member Posts: 130
    Also, Is revenue only recorded when a reward is claimed? According to the blog post I read there is also CPM revenue. Does Gamesalad take the CPM revenue?
  • SnapFireSnapFire Member Posts: 361
    Sounds good...

I agree with all above. Answers?
    -Thomas
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    Quote -
    TSB said:
    "does this mean we don't get the money tell the person goes to the store and uses the coupon?"
    End quote.

That's a very good question..

Roy.
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    @tshirtbooth

"Revenue is recorded when a reward is claimed."

Even I can confirm that user need to go to the store and claim the prize in order for us to earn anything. Our cut changes from $0.5 to $3 according to Kiip official website.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited December 2011
    How does Kiip work for international users and devs? It looks like all the current advertisers/promotions are US based/US trading companies.

Will customers in non-US countries still be hit with Kiip banners... but not be able to claim the prizes? Or will the prizes be available worldwide?

Will non-US devs be able to use Kiip the same as US based devs?

Is every game that gets submitted with Kiip eligable... or are games "approved" for the program on an individual basis?
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    TSB I would call claiming the reward when they enter thier email and accept it. In my book the reward is the coupon. I claim free meals all the time from a few places that send me emails but only use maybe a 3rd of them just cause of my schedual. I'll be very disappointed if they offer has to actually be used before we get paid.

I also seem to remember GS talk about they had negotiated a special rate so I do think they are going to take a cut. But they talked like because of the rate they had negotiated we would still do very well.

@chunckypixels MChiew said above all game with kiip enabled will launch with kiip but they will check them out and violations found like trivial achievements or basically ways of cheating the system will mean kiip gets disabled to your apps.

I would also like to know about the international users if I use kiip for a full features free game will it give the user my full version without kiip? Meaning international users can just always download my kiip full version and get around buying the game all together?
  • Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    Will we all be registered as individual developers with kiip? Will we have access to the kiip SDK like any normal developer registered with kiip ?
    This is sounding like GS Direct "Kiip will track reward triggers and pay out to GameSalad with a full report. GameSalad will pay developers directly".
    @Rob2 you can still register and get access to their sdk. Although I don't think it's needed for gamesalad. I does kinda sound like gamesalad direct but I'm fine with that as long as I am getting my fair cut. At least the games are still ours.
    @cbt you mentioned: "Even I can confirm that user need to go to the store and claim the prize in order for us to earn anything. Our cut changes from $0.5 to $3 according to Kiip official website. "

Can you post a link to that, I can't find information that information on the Kiip site?
    Hello? are there any more answers coming?
  • PjhcyPjhcy Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2011
    Kiip collects 0.90 to 3.00US anytime someone gets an engagement as in entering their email for a reward. Popchip pay probably 0.25 per engagement as they initially signed up and the CEO invested in kiip. http://www.quora.com/Are-game-developers-and-advertisers-in-the-Kiip-me-network-seeing-success-with-their-model-thus-far-or-not. It's much more expensive if running leader board contests.

Popchips is strategically using kiip to expand the pop chips demand. Kodak is just desperate and offer buy 10 photo get 10 free in the store and photos are commodities and not brands. 1800 flowers is between $10 to $50 off purchase. Carl jr is free soft drink. Home run is local deals but they hack user emails to send unwanted invitations so $3 for a user is really getting maybe 20-30. Vitamin water is free but I wouldn't buy it as it's just sugar water with a penny of vitamins. Other one is vitamin retailer and vitamins have very high profit margins and is all about branding. From a brand perspective this is a very expensive form of marketing and Brian sells it based on reaching customers when they are "happy" and associating the brand with the feeling. Think of approaching a girl and telling her to describe her ideal guy and when she is imagining him, she associates that feeling with you. I have considered marketing on it on a small scale but this wasn't a viable option in my industry to give away millions of free stuff. The exception is best buy who is giving away gift certificate for in store purchase but most people use it to buy amazon gift cards and if someone figured out a way to get hundreds of these on a mobile device like in September and publicly posted the method, then best buy would have lost millions as it would have spread virally across deal and cheap skate forums. Hacked smart phones were banned after this.

If one gets the buy 1 get 1 offers then click through will be very low while make up mascara and free gift certificates to places one normally shops will be high such as best buy although I suspect that they only occasionally run a campaign around holidays as there is a limit to giving away free money.
    Most of the brands that sign up are usually in the soft drink and junk food category such as chips or sugar water with very high profit margins that have created a brand. Unfortunately no free trips as it's a commodity. The highest prize is a Sony electronic item worth $100 and from leader board contests such as headphones but these are reserved for their top developer clients like mega jump who used to make up the majority of all their traffic and about half now.
  • PjhcyPjhcy Member Posts: 6
    I suspect it's either a revenue share or billing brands when email is entered for a reward and paying out when rewards are actually redeemed or they collect via cost per engagement and payout based on impressions. Redemption is very low for the buy 1 get 1 rewards. The free stuff especially gift certificates is limited to one or two for a brand per game or mobile device with pretty high redemption rate. Their profit margin should be pretty high though as Brian is selling the company in a few years according to one of his interviews. I think it's worth trying and Brian said it can be used with other ad services so one can run admob and iad via adwhirl open source software as well as kiip. They have a great model and great execution and pr but the limitation is in scaling on the brand side as there are only so many brands where giving away free stuff is viable long time.
  • dmilinovichiiidmilinovichiii Member Posts: 620
    I was wondering, with Apple iAds if your GameSalad Pro account expires, you can still continue to make money from Apple. Will we continue to be paid if our pro accounts expire or will GS keep all the profits?
  • cbtcbt Member Posts: 644
    @dingosmoov ;

@Pjhcy answered your question I guess.
    Yep, looks like some answers, but would really like more answers from the Gamesalad team. Seems like they would have anticipated these questions before announcing...
  • BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374
    If I am a Pro developer and then let my Pro subscription expire do I still get the revenue for my games that are still using Kiip?
  • KrogothicKrogothic Member, PRO Posts: 123
    Well with GS being the middle man and I would suspect taking a cut, you can trash this idea. worthless IMO.

I do not need a middle man I can get the reports the same and have the pay to my accounts, no need to have GS in the middle

Lets focus on fixing GS not adding crap that is making it worse.
  • vectawrvectawr Member Posts: 43
    Will someone please answer the first question.

What percent does GameSalad Take?

Kiip takes 50/50 with most developers, will we receive the full 50%?
    @gripsocks Read SSS's last comment. When they get closer to rolling out Kiip they will disclose more details about the revenue
  • SnapFireSnapFire Member Posts: 361
    Still, I'd kind of like to know how much they're taking now. Are they saying they just haven't decided, or just haven't told us?

-Thomas
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    I wonder if it will be released by around Christmas time. I'd really like to have it on my new big game
  • GraphicWarehouseGraphicWarehouse Member Posts: 927
    @bobD if you integrated kiip before your pro ran out then yes you would still get revenue, pro just gives the extra features while you are creating the game.
    @MJMDesigin. Im not sure. GameSalad needs to give an answer on that one as well once they release. since the money goes through them it may disable kiip in your app if you are no longer pro. Thats a really good question that needs to be answered with the release of all the details.
    edited December 2011
    Clearly there are a lot of questions that still need to be answered before the release of Kiip integration, but I thing a large amount of how widely the new pro feature will be used depends on how GameSalad handles the revenues. For instance, I certainly don't want to pay twice for using the same feature. The way I see it, I pay GameSalad $500 every year to use their pro features, including Kiip. So, that $500 IS what they get paid for allowing me to integrate Kiip rewards. If they are also going to take a high percentage out off Kiip revenue, they are double dipping, so to speak, on the pro license fee. Only time will tell, but I don't see why GameSalad should get a percentage of the profits when they already get the annual $500 from pro users. Just my two cents.

- Alex
    Alex no body said a high percentage. Industry Standard is 30% cut for most everything. So I would expect that and certainly hope its less. Honestly though. if I get more than $0.70 out of each Kiip enabled download Who cares what they take?
  • KrogothicKrogothic Member, PRO Posts: 123
    I care ! geez
    @tenrdrmer: If they take a cut at all, I still consider it "double dipping", if you will. Now if Kiip Integration was a free feature, I could absolutely see why they would, and should take a cut of the revenue. But when there are users already paying for these professional grade features ($500 annually might I add), it doesn't make sense (to me) why they should take a cut out of the revenue generated by a pro feature. Of course this is all speculation until they announce it for sure, I just thought I would state my opinion on the matter.
  • vectawrvectawr Member Posts: 43
    edited December 2011
    @tenrdrmer You forget Kiip takes a cut. They have do 50/50 deals with developers so if GS takes anything then it will be almost miniscule.

If GS takes nothing then we will make 50 cents on every dollar.
This discussion has been closed.