Forums Upgrade Commencing Soon!

Comments

• mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    Oh my god... This is a first!!! This next sentence should be a sticky... "HEADLINE SHOCKER: Mynameisace & Photics Agree On Something For Once!"

Heheh :)

Ace
  • mtinglemtingle Member Posts: 41
    it'd be good if you can keep the yellow post that are made by GS themselves, I liked that feature.

new forum looks ok, not as easy to read as the old one though, looks a bit overwhelming in comparison. still I'm sure you'll refine it over time.
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    edited November 2011
    I'm with pothics on this one, I tried to "qute" his comment but don't know how..
    It doesn't bother me or something , but I miss the old one ;)
    Guess I just need to get used to it.

Also I'm trying to log in from my Mac and I can't, when I press "login" it gives me a blank page, ( I'm from my new iPad now)
    Roy.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    edited November 2011
    I was hoping for Signatures, but it seems you cannot have that...yet. Perhaps they will do an update? :P
    Also, I agree with Mtingle - I really enjoyed the yellow post from the HeadChefs, that was something to look at.

I know that the Sous Chefs have a purple ribbon you could say, that's nice. I would really like to see Yellow's again.
  • kolabokolabo Member Posts: 240
    edited November 2011
    Compliment: Readability on the ipad is much better!

Bug: Also had the same login "white page" as P-O-M and others on my Mac and ipad.

Question: Is there a way to go directly to the last comment in a thread? I hate scrolling or flipping through pages to get to the most recent comment.
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    @Kolabo - It seems, of what I have discovered, is that you look through a thread the first time. Then when you come back to it, it picks up right where you left. That is very neat and helpful compared to the last forum.
  • KrogothicKrogothic Member, PRO Posts: 123
    If its fixed - break it ! Lets hope in 3 months it wont change again.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I think sous chefs have lost mod abilities, I can no longer close, merge or delete posts
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Jon Your not Showing as a Sous-Chef. The mod abilities are there for me. So thats prob the reason.

From what I understand this is just the first phase of the update. I believe there are plans to bring many more features to the forum once they are sure this part is working.
  • applaudmobileapplaudmobile Member Posts: 208
    edited November 2011
    Forum search is still not very good. I'm not getting proper results searching for an old thread I know exists and used to find on google very easily. And when you click more results at the bottom it shows waiting icon and nothing ever happens. Also can no longer search google for help as all the old thread links are dead :(

Just a few observations. I also noticed posts that had been previously deleted by sous chefs are visible again! I've told GS.
  • MarkOnTheIronMarkOnTheIron Member Posts: 1,447
    @applaudmobile just said:

Also can no longer search google for help as all the old thread links are dead :(
    Google will have to reindex all GS discussions because all the links have changed. In the meantime you can still use Google results. Just copy the first number you find in the link provided by google and put it in the following link replacing the #s: http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/######/

For example:

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=32131 will become http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/32131/

@tenrdrmer
    That makes sense :)
    I'll be shooting you an email tonight if I have some time, it's been crazy.
  • applaudmobileapplaudmobile Member Posts: 208
    @markontheiron - well spotted! Thanks a lot for that temp fix.
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    The new forum looks dull and gloomy just with more features
  • BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374
    Sorry I do not like the new Forum. All my bookmarks a no longer valid. Why change something that was not broken??
    What happened to the sticky How to convert to iPad trick??
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    "Why change something that was not broken"
    Actually it was broken. There were features that did not work like subscribing to a topic. Plus people complained about the old forum (and now complaining about the new one). I like it myself as it stands out. If you ever visit other forums that use the same software they tend to look the same(as feature rich as they may be), they have stated more features will be brought online later.
  • NesesitaGamesNesesitaGames Member Posts: 160
    I personally love the new look. Well done, GS.
    Hey guys , what about time zones?!
    It seems like the forum time zone is us time zone only.. Will there be an option to change that?

Roy.
  • SnapFireSnapFire Member Posts: 361
    Hey everyone,

Seems to me like there have been ton of pros and cons for the New Forum. Perhaps a few more cons than pros =)

So here's how I see them so far. No guarantee that any of the are real problems, I've not checked out all of them yet. Let me know if there's any I left out. Hopefully this will give GameSalad a clear view of what needs fixing.

Cons/Improvements of the New Forum:

1) No Senior Area forum area

2) Highlight unread posts since last visit

3) Time Zone problems

4) Profile options

5) Signatures

6) No Quote

7) Login Problems

8) Bad performance search

9) Bookmarks no longer valid

10) Deleted posts ca be viewed again

Pros of the New Forum:

1) Better mobile display

2) Preview Posts

3) See all your threads

4) Edit your own previous posts

5) No Yellow Posts

6) Come back to where you left off in a post

7) Preview posts

Hope that helps,
    -Thomas
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Ok, here are my thoughts on the new forum.

First of all. there are some great things that have been added to this update, such as the ability to view all your own threads, ability to preview and save posts, as well as some other minor features. However, like most, I do have a few complaints. First of all, the Time Zone issue is very annoying. It would be much better to see how old a post is in minutes, rather than just the time. Second, I miss the yellow posts that clearly illustrated when a Head Chef had posted. The ability to quote is also sorely missed. While I haven't used them in a while, signatures would also be nice to have, as well as the ability to post an image by simply uploading it, rather than having to code in the source URL. While I realize the Forums will continue to be improved over time, I see them as one of the necessities to working with GameSalad, next only to the Creator itself.

All in all, it looks very promising, good job GameSalad! Looking forward to the updates.

- Alex
  • crapscraps Member Posts: 353
    The forum is very difficult to move around in. Appears confusing and is not easy to view.
    It was easier to see all the posts and choose which ones to read - now you have to choose a topic or area of interest.
    Rethink this design.
  • ApplaudApplaud Member Posts: 4
    @craps just click "discussions"for old style list of posts
  • blondonblondon Member Posts: 31
    Change is always difficult for people.. I know its tough keeping everyone happy when trying to implement something new. I like the new forums and im sure you guys will work out kinks as time goes on.. One thing you should try and implement soon is a nice 301 redirect mod rewrite for the old links.. It will please our Google overlords and your internal links...
    edited December 2011
    Has anyone noticed that every single thing the GameSalad releases gets a huge anticipation, a great first reaction, and then slowly deteriorates in value as people really start to take a look at this. I hate to be so negative, but hey, someone's got to say it. I'm also looking forward to updates, and hope the GameSalad can get it's priorities straight. I love GameSalad and how simple and yet complex it is, but GameSalad needs to understand that things like this plainly cannot be underdone. You've got to come out on schedule, and with well tested, solid software.

-Thomas
    Dont know if this was mentioned, but we cant see who is online anymore, I think you guys should add that too like before..

Roy.
    I would quote you Roy but...

+1 to what you said
    -Thomas
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    One thing I really like is that I now get e-mails of the content of new posts to a topic I have bookmarked. That is awesome. I just am glad I did not register with my work e-mail (that would be a mess). Also, can't bookmark to many topics or your email will get way to cluttered. Any way to pick which bookmarked topics you get e-mails for? That would make this feature awesome.
    In like the emails to. However, I already have 30 GS emails in one day! Takes awhile to go through.

-Thomas
    Any idea when an update will be released fixing/adding the features I listed in my previous posts + the other stated since then? Thanks.

-Thomas
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    i had assumed that you work for GS if I didn't know any better T =) and i'm guessing most newbies thought so too. you know "The Tshirtbooth" who's more important to gamesalad than they can ever wish.