GameSalad 0.9.82 Patch is Now Live!

124»

Comments

• skottskott Member Posts: 172
    SlickZero said:
    Just curious if anybody has had any luck getting rid of the stutter.

Nope not at all, and we are not using a "control camera". We had no problem in ver.9.7 my guess is it's a game engine thing.
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    SlickZero, have you tried switching the order (in terms of layering) of your main actor and the constrained actor. Doing that fixed all my stutter problems. I have my camera in main actor though so it may not work if camera is in constrained actor. But if camera is in main actor it should clear up stuttering when you make the layer order change. Also, you can keep your main actor in the first third of the screen even when it controls the camera by changing it's width and it's origin.
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Yeah, I've re-arranged the layer ordering, and even done away with every actor and behavior not associated with the camera and the constrained actor. Still stutters. I don't have an issue with using the camera just in the main actor, it works absolutely fine that way. It's just when I put it into the constrained actor that gives me the stutter. And I've changed the layering and behavior with that too, and no luck.

I never use the camera origin attribute, because I don't notice that they do anything at all except move the viewer area when in edit mode, and when I hit preview, it just starts out like it normally does, no camera shift or anything. And width just distorts the whole scene without adjusting height, and adjusting both symmetrically, just zooms in or out on the entire scene.

If you know the right way to use those attributes, I'd appreciate any information you can give me on it, because like I said, I never used those attributes for anything before.
  • Fodder76Fodder76 Member Posts: 154
    I haven't actually tried to get rid of the stuttering. I'm waiting to hear what GS says, since they are aware of the issue and supposedly giving us an update soon.

I'm afraid to mess with my project too much to fix an issue that only cropped up on this most recent release, and one that only exists on a more powerful phone.

Fingers are crossed for an easy solution.
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    SlickZero said:
    Yeah, I've re-arranged the layer ordering, and even done away with every actor and behavior not associated with the camera and the constrained actor. Still stutters. I don't have an issue with using the camera just in the main actor, it works absolutely fine that way. It's just when I put it into the constrained actor that gives me the stutter. And I've changed the layering and behavior with that too, and no luck.

I never use the camera origin attribute, because I don't notice that they do anything at all except move the viewer area when in edit mode, and when I hit preview, it just starts out like it normally does, no camera shift or anything. And width just distorts the whole scene without adjusting height, and adjusting both symmetrically, just zooms in or out on the entire scene.

If you know the right way to use those attributes, I'd appreciate any information you can give me on it, because like I said, I never used those attributes for anything before.

Slickzero,

Yeah, you can only restrict the main actor (when it is controlling the camera) to the first 50% of the screen rather than that first 1/3 of the screen. Sorry was not in front of my computer but on Iphone when wrote that. But if restricting to first 50% of screen will work for you what you do is change the "tracking area width" (not width or origin) of the camera to 0. If you do this, you won't need an actor out front to scroll the camera so you can avoid the constrain actor issue altogether. But if you absolutely need the main actor to only be on the first 1/3 of the screen rather than the first 50% of the screen that won't work for you.

FYI. my setup is as follows and I am using a constrained actor to control the camera and it works perfect. I have an invisible actor that my main actor is constrained to. The invisible actor is out front of my main actor by 256. My main actor controls the camera. The invisible actor is on the bottom layer with the main actor above it. No stutter at all even though my main actor both controls the camera and is constrained to another actors movement. WIth the camera tracking area at 0, my main actor never moves past the first 50% of the scene. Of course that whole setup is not normally necessary since my main actor controls the camera and would stay on the first 50% of the screen due to the change in the camera tracking area and I could just have the main actor move on its own rather than be constrained for movement (but due to some odd aspects of my game mechanics I have to set it up that way). In any event, from my project it is clear that a constrained actor can control the camera without any stutter when set up like that. However, when you reverse it and put the constrained actor that controls the camera out front of the movement actor (i.e, the main actor) then you certainly get continuous stutter. The problem is you have to set it up that way if you want your main actor to stay on the first 1/3 of the screen rather than the first 50% or greater of the screen. Thus, this is an issue with constrained actors controlling the camera but only when the actor it is constrained to follows rather than preceeds the constrained actor. But a big issue in any event. (I can admit when I am wrong).
  • rdcuberdcube Member Posts: 361
    the saddest part for me is that I waited too long for this update and my membership is about to expired and still having issues with my game...it could be my logic or it might be gs...who knows :(

we should have some sort of extended membership for every release that breaks our stuff and time it takes for us and them to troubleshoot.

RD
  • chumsizechumsize Member Posts: 10
    oh sweet lord... thanks for letting me check the forums before installing this version...
    Going live in a week, and still on 0.9.71 - thank heavens. Moral of the story?

click "skip this version" until you are sure that:
    a) the version has been well tested by the user community first.
    b) have the time to refactor or (worse) recode your game to work around the (likely) version-to-version upgrade issues that are present.
  • mtinglemtingle Member Posts: 41
    the new 0.9.82 update has worked fine on my iphone 4g and ipad 2 but my one and only app is now not working on the ipod touch 2g.

What should happen is the central actor is touched and then starts rotating, now you touch it and it just sits there. works fine on the newer devices.

I've sent a bug report but thought it good to mention here in case it help other people who are thinking of upgrading and wonder about older device compatibility.

it was constructed using version 0.9.6 and worked flawlessly across all devices.
    chumsize said:
    oh sweet lord... thanks for letting me check the forums before installing this version...
    Going live in a week, and still on 0.9.71 - thank heavens. Moral of the story?

Even if you don't upgrade, when you go to publish your app, it will be built on GameSalads end with the new version. So anything that is bugged will most likely show up on your app after you submit to GameSalad. Make sure you test the build before you send to Apple and make sure you didn't get bit.

And Thank you, dotson for the info. Sadly, i'm trying to get the 1/3rd screen positioning. It works fine for the 50% of the screen, but my original plans were to have it on the left 1/3rd. My last resort is to do away with the 1/3, and just have it in the middle, but that would be settling on my end, and I really don't want to do that. But it's a holiday themed app, and I may not have a choice. Everybody that has played it says it's fine in the middle, but all along i had intentions of the 1/3rd positioning.

I am relieved to know that they are looking into it, and if there is an issue, I know they will do whatever they can to fix that issue. GameSalad is good like that.
  • mu-kowAPPSmu-kowAPPS Member Posts: 233
    the end of october is upon us. some info on the 'september' release would be much appreciated.

approx release

and

features

dont want another "this release includes nothing we stated in the roadmap" the day of the release
  • mu-kowAPPSmu-kowAPPS Member Posts: 233
    crap i meant "october" release
  • samurai2020samurai2020 Member Posts: 32
    yeap... I also agree that it will be great to see approximate releases and features.
    InApps + Android Market = I am your next PRO customer. :)

And again I would like to raise a question about integration 3rd parties SDK like analytics, virtual money, openfeint, etc.

Thanks
  • BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374
    GameSalad 0.9.82 corrupts my game when I try to switch from iPad Landscape to iPhone Landscape. After selecting iPhone Landscape and saving the app. When I try to build a app by sending to GameSalad I get the following:

"The file couldn't be opened because it isn't in the correct format. The file might be corrupted, truncated, or in an unexpected format. "

Now if I now convert it back to iPad Landscape and save the app the game builds fine again.

In both cases if I run them on the Mac they both run correctly as expected.
  • BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374
    After a little bit of experimenting if I change from iPad Landscape to Mac first and save. Then convert from Mac to iPhone Landscape all works and I am able to build a iPhone app.
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    Well oct is over, I hope the next update will be good and it will come soon

Calvin
  • marcosxraymarcosxray Member, PRO Posts: 28
    Where is the "october release" ???????
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    marcosxray said:
    Where is the "october release" ???????

Posted by SaladStraightShooter in another thread:

Hello everyone,

In previous communication we'd stated that we were shooting for an October release for the next update. After further examination on the development side, we established that it needed a bit more time in the oven (i.e.: QA time, shaking out potential bugs). It was noted at the time that if we were unable to get it out in late October we'd be shooting for the first part of November, which we still intend.

While I understand that many of you are probably disappointed we were unable to provide you with another release for October, know that the next release will be all the better for the added time invested in it, and we greatly appreciate your patience.
  • marcosxraymarcosxray Member, PRO Posts: 28
    JohnPapiomitis said:

Hello everyone,

In previous communication we'd stated that we were shooting for an October release for the next update. After further examination on the development side, we established that it needed a bit more time in the oven (i.e.: QA time, shaking out potential bugs). It was noted at the time that if we were unable to get it out in late October we'd be shooting for the first part of November, which we still intend.

While I understand that many of you are probably disappointed we were unable to provide you with another release for October, know that the next release will be all the better for the added time invested in it, and we greatly appreciate your patience.

Thanks.
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    JohnPapiomitis said:

Hello everyone,

wow that is a good news for sure

hope the update will be steady

Calvin
  • mtinglemtingle Member Posts: 41
    I can now report that the 0.9.82 version works again on the gamesalad viewer and behaves as it should after following the advice at the bottom of this thread:

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=34083

Previously it was failing to install on an older ipod touch 2g.

ad hoc build worked as well.
  • MPCavMPCav Member, BASIC Posts: 81
    I am finding with 0.9.82 that my memory usage is still creeping up, and as it does my frame rate drops from about 35fps to about 10fps.

This issue was supposed to be fixed in the current version.. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Hows the "Early November" release coming along guys?

- Alex
  • steve86steve86 Member Posts: 806
    osucowboy18 said:
    Hows the "Early November" release coming along guys?

- Alex

Good question
  • MPCavMPCav Member, BASIC Posts: 81
    I've found the cause of my memory and performance issues in version 0.9.82

My game has pickups which play a looping sample when they are on screen.

Each time this looping sample is activated, it uses up more and more memory and my frame rate is reduced until the game becomes unplayable!!!

Turning off these looping samples fixes the problem! If you are using looping samples in your game and experiencing a similar problem try turning them off and see if it helps you!!

This has been reported as a bug. Hope this helps.