GameSalad 0.9.82 Patch is Now Live!

Comments

• naavicanaavica Member Posts: 9
    Thank you so much !. I just tested my game and what a relief ! .Great job guys !
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    I reported the appstore URL opening the blank white browser window as soon as I saw it happening in 0.9.8 and made the suggestion that the behaviour should have some user control, or should at least check if its an appstore link, and if so, stop the browser window from opening if the Appstore window is triggered.

It looks bad in its current state, and to be honest, shows a lack of feature testing over at GS towers.. as this is a pretty obvious thing that needed further work.

But yup... at least the new fixes to loading and stability seem to be working so far...
  • KrogothicKrogothic Member, PRO Posts: 123
    Games working good again even after extended game play !
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    Thanks for the update. Sadly I've a problem. One particular app of mine has lost smooth movement and gotten all jittery. This seems not to be actual frame rate drop but something to do with interpolation of movement based on math that worked under 9.7. Think I better get under the bonnet again... Anyone else have similar?
  • Fodder76Fodder76 Member Posts: 154
    old_kipper-

Are you testing on an iPhone 4? I am also experiencing strange performance problems, but its only on the iPhone 4. It works fine on my 3g iTouch. This is something that was not introduced with yesterdays patch, but with last weeks .9.8 update.
  • old_kipperold_kipper Member Posts: 1,420
    Fodder76, I am testing on itouch 4 and I am not sure when the problem started as I've not tested with any variant of 9.8 until today with this project.
  • creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    Anyone please explain on my old post?
    creativeapps said:
    Means loading performance and memory usage issue solved with this update?
    And when we uncheck preloader art it will work fast like this video?

• SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Getting similar "un-smoothness" on my 4-s

fps showing as 60-63..... but onscreen actually looks far more juddery than when testing on a gs.
    Yes its really strange. It doesn't actually feel like poor framerate, its just chugging when scrolling the images across the screen. But this has never been an issue before for me. I hope there is a quick/simple fix, I can't release it like this.
  • creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    I think preload art not going to work fine again with this version. I used 10 different 500x500 images and included in one scene. And tested with gs viewer. On scene changes it takes same time duration. Preload art check and uncheck not going to work fine.
  • skottskott Member Posts: 172
    Fodder76 said:
    Yes its really strange. It doesn't actually feel like poor framerate, its just chugging when scrolling the images across the screen. But this has never been an issue before for me. I hope there is a quick/simple fix, I can't release it like this.

Same here. Noticed it after the 9.8 update. Framerate is fine but yes it looks like it's when "scrolling" / moving images. Testet on a iphone4.
    skott said:
    Same here. Noticed it after the 9.8 update. Framerate is fine but yes it looks like it's when "scrolling" / moving images. Testet on a iphone4.

Not wishing anyone misfortune, but I'm a glad to see others having the same problem I am having. Maybe it will get some quick attention.

I tried submitting a bug through the proper channels, but when I try to upload my project for the GameSalad to have a look at it, it always gives me an error and says 'oh noes'.
  • BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374
    Check out Deep Blue Apps free "GS Pre-Load" tool. Use it to turn On/Off Pre-Load in your 0.9.8+ apps.

I tried it it and it works great!!

Thank you - Darren & Wayne

http://www.deepblueapps.com/Deep_Blue_Ideas_Ltd./GS_PreLoad.html
  • YamasotoYamasoto Member, PRO Posts: 75
    Hello! Good evening.

Well, I have the same problems that on version 0.9.80.

-My first problem is that when I pause the game.
    If I play a game level (1-1 for example), when the main character death, he plays sound about 2 seconds, and at the same time, the game is paused (scene about your death) after 1 second.
    Before, on last versions, the main character sounds continued to play.

Now, with the new version 0.9.8X, the sounds stop when pause screen appers. And the sounds continue while restarting the level.

-The second problem, it's related with the sounds too.
    In some levels, my main character plays a little sound when to run on rocks. On last versions, the performance of the game was perfect. Now, in version 0.9.8X the performance it's terrible. The game slows...

Level 1-2, and 1-3 for example: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-police-story-lite/id448357495

Thanks,
    Dani.
  • iKandyiKandy Imagineer of Crazy Shit New York CityMember Posts: 310
    Some of the bugs regarding sounds appear to be improved, however, performance on my app is WAY too slow.

Please bring back 9.7.... please!

(I'm going to try using the Deep Blue Apps free "GS Pre-Load" tool. I hope it works.)
    But I'm not sure if it's the preload thing that is ruining the performance of my game.
  • dudemangamesdudemangames Member Posts: 16
    I'm with you, bring back 0.97! The performance on my app is still horrible. Back on 0.9.7 i had'nt even optimised it yet and performance was waay better. Now even with it optimised im getting mass stuttering ang lag. Also anytime i reset a scene the logic gets all messed up, only on the adhoc build. The viewer does'nt wreck the logic. I just wish I'd of had one more week with 0.9.7 my app would have been published and i could have dealt with this mess on my next game and future app updates. These forced updates are a real bummer.
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    Hey, guys!

Thanks for bringing up these issues. We're definitely looking into the issues. If you could, please submit the issues through our contact form and include your projects. Our QA and development teams are working as hard as they can to track down to cause of the issues, but nothing beats having actual projects where the issues are being reported.

Most of the members have reported that the performance issues introduced with 0.9.80 were resolved with 0.9.82, so if you're still experiencing lag and slowdown, we want to figure out why. Thanks, everyone, for helping us identify these issues.

CONTACT FORM

--Yodapollo
    Yes, dudemangames,I'm in the same boat.

I had a perfectly working, fast-moving game. Unfortunately, the day 9.8 came out I republished it and sent it to Apple. My timing couldn't have been any worse. To my horror, people were downloading a slow, clunky version of the game. I had to take it off the store.

Now, it seems there's no going back. I tried republishing an adhoc with this new patch. And it still is slow and clunky and I have no idea how to troubleshoot it.

I'm totally in the dark, because it works fine on the GS Viewer. However, when you play it on a device--total crap. (I tried turning all the pre-loads off-- didn't work.)

Please bring back 9.7..... please GameSalad.... help us.
    Yodapello,

I tried uploading the game and got...

Oh noes!

We have a problem,
    and beg for your indulgence;
    forgive our error.
    Go Back Report a broken link

this seems to happen quite a bit.
  • dudemangamesdudemangames Member Posts: 16
    Yodapollo,
    thanks for the reply I'm gonna work it some more and try to optimize it some more see if i can't get it running a little better before i resort to sending it in to ya guys,

I actually re-published the app (adhoc) and my reset level issue magically vanished, i don't know if it's technokenesis, the gamesalad gods answering my prayer or some kinda weird glitch, but either way it's not happening anymore.

@ iKandy

from what I understand, you generally want to leave most actors checked for preload image to increase performance, so that the engine does'nt have to load art during gameplay. at least that's what i got out of it. i unchecked some stuff in mine and performance went way down. however my game is pretty animation heavy.

Also try clearing the device ram and see if that helps (double click home button) and delete everything. I did that and it runs great that way. probably means I'm just past the acceptable ram limit. Can't really expect people to do that to play my game though. I'm wondering if the acceptable ram limit went down for 0.9.8 to make room for the backend memory release
    Yodapollo,

Same here. I'd been trying to submit my app through your contact form all day and getting that same error.

I did get a reply to my email though, and submitted my app through dropbox instead.

Looking forward to a reply. Thanks!
  • YamasotoYamasoto Member, PRO Posts: 75
    Thanks Yodapollo,

today I will send you by contact form all my issues, and I will try to cut my project (actually it's 50mb!) for to send it.

:-)
  • imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    Have played with checking\uncheacking preload art flag. And didn't notice any change i loading times.
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Well after testing our latest game on my non-jailbroken iPhone 4 running iOS 5, I have ran into a couple issues. One dealing with the game not saving and/or loading text attributes modified with the iOS keyboard via the Keyboard Input behavior, and the other bug dealing with scores not showing up in Game Center. I sent a Bug Report to the QA team via the Contact Form, but has anyone else noticed these issues in 0.9.82?

- Alex
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    @osucowboy18

http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=33439

Yup..a few of us have been experiencing the GameCenter bug you mentioned, and after some extensive testing I narrowed it down in my case to an issue with Sandbox mode and gamescores being displayed in GameCenter on iOS5 devices.

So far I have no idea if the problem persists when the game is live on the appstore, or if its a GameCenter issue, or a GameSalad issue. I reported it to the Devteam so they can look into it, as it could be a pretty big issue if it carries over to live Games.
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    So far so good... looks stable again. My game is running correctly. Now if only I could get some time to work on it ;)

Good job guys! :)
    For those of you who mentioned having the same issue I was having with performance on the iPhone 4, I just thought I'd let you know that GS has my project and they are taking a look at it. I'm hoping to hear something today. I'll let you know what I find out. Fingers crossed for some kind of easy fix.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Got a 4S through today and although frame rates stay at 60 and RAM around 40-50, every now and then it does stutter on the viewer! How weird! Hope they find why its doing this!
  • jnica23jnica23 Member Posts: 47
    So do I upgrade to 0.9.82 or wait? Currently I'm using 0.9.8 and it works okay, really havent noticed much improvement in load time, but I have noticed that during game play there is a little bit of gitter... still need to finish up some levels but I really don't want to download new version if its going to give me a headache and slow down my work schedule on the game. Is 0.9.82 worth downloading right now?