GameSalad 0.9.80 Beta: Loading, Performance, & In-App Browser

Comments

• olster1olster1 Member Posts: 396
    @dudemangames Skullcracker looks like an insanely good game... nicely done. I feel so bad as it looks like you have put a lot of effort into it and it looks like it will do really well during Halloween. I'm not sure when sales peek for seasonal games but lets hope its not too soon :D
  • dudemangamesdudemangames Member Posts: 16
    Hey thanks guys, been working on it for about 3 months, was planning for release in early October. from what you guys have been saying maybe early november might be better anyway.
  • BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374
    If you can make 0.9.7 available I would be a very happy camper!!!!
    I have backup of my app prior to 0.9.8 and I just need access to 0.9.7 to be able to finish my app. Thanks - hope somebody at gamesalad is listening!
  • RumiRumi Member, PRO Posts: 343
    How long can it take for someone to actually say something? They clearly have read our issues!
    There needs to be better communication! This whole preformance and Ram issue is so annoying!
  • Fodder76Fodder76 Member Posts: 154
    All I would like to know is if there is going to be another interim release between this and the next to address any of the issues mentioned above. I haven't upgraded yet, and I'm not entirely opposed to it, but as someone mentioned above, upgrading the viewer is a bit of a hassle and I'd rather not have to do it twice in a row.

So, it would be lovely if the GS rep on here could mention the short term plans. Thanks very much!
  • Fodder76Fodder76 Member Posts: 154
    Well I went ahead and upgraded. I don't have a clear idea yet if the loading times are improved, I still need to put more time into that. But I can confirm what many others have said about the memory now being an issue. For the first time ever, the memory in my game climbed to the point where it actually crashed, I've never seen that before and I've been working on the thing for 9 months.

I look forward to a comment from GS on the matter. Thanks.
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    Yes delaying my Suburban grand prix game until a fix. Ran the game on automatic (camera on one of the AI cars) and watched the ram jump up as i restarted the scene (at on point from 48 to 75mb. The game seems smooth enough with AI running but if I start playing it as a car then slowdown occurs. Even menus moving into place seem delayed and jittery than before.
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    90% of the problems with GS version releases could be solved by simply giving us the compiler on our local machines and letting us build against whatever version of GS our game works in.

This server based build system is way over complicated and nobody likes it.

My game has been put on indefinite hold until I can get some time together to work on the new bugs introduced by the new version(s). It's kinda sucky that I have to rework all the bugs out of my game with each new version. I wouldn't have that problem if I could just continue using an older version of GS and upgrade AT MY CONVENIENCE!
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
    Thank you for all your valuable feedback regarding 0.9.8 Beta.

We have investigated all the issues that you have reported via the contact form and we are pleased to announce that a patch is in the works and will be ready for download soon.

This patch will address many of the bugs that you have reported. Mainly, you can anticipate fixes regarding memory leak, GameSalad viewer, the otherwise bug not functioning on mouse up/down, and the sound bug (where doing a "reset scene" causes the volume of sound effects to drop out).

We will announce more performance specifics once the patch is released and ready for download. Please continue to give us feedback via the contact form and we look forward to providing this fix to you soon.
  • BlackbirdStudiosBlackbirdStudios Member Posts: 493
    LaurenSalad said:

We have investigated all the issues that you have reported via the contact form and we are pleased to announce that a patch is in the works and will be ready for download soon.

This patch will address many of the bugs that you have reported. Mainly, you can anticipate fixes regarding memory leak, GameSalad viewer, the otherwise bug not functioning on mouse up/down, and the sound bug (where doing a "reset scene" causes the volume of sound effects to drop out).

We will announce more performance specifics once the patch is released and ready for download. Please continue to give us feedback via the contact form and we look forward to providing this fix to you soon.

Thanks for the update Lauren! I'm sure it definitely helps people feel better about the problems.

Could you possible define "soon" though? Soon as in this week? Or soon as in mid-november???
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    LaurenSalad said:

Thank you so much for the update Lauren! That's all I wanted to hear - that you guys are working on it and a patch should be available soon. Keep up the good work GS Dev Team!

- Alex
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Thanks LAuren :D
  • CatGoneCrazyCatGoneCrazy Member, PRO Posts: 90
    Agreed, this is great news. Many thanks and keep up the great work!
  • GameTeamOneGameTeamOne Member, PRO Posts: 88
    @dudemangames

Hell yeah, Skullcracker looks really cool. I'll keep an eye out for it!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    LaurenSalad said:
    and the sound bug (where doing a "reset scene" causes the volume of sound effects to drop out).

What about the reset scene killing the playing music thing that no one will ever comment on?
  • RumiRumi Member, PRO Posts: 343
    and what about the ipad splash screen bug?
  • guillefaceguilleface Member, BASIC Posts: 1,014
    why releasing a update with so many issues? its hard to test all the functions and thats why members need to report this?
    tenrdrmer said:
    What about the reset scene killing the playing music thing that no one will ever comment on?

At this point I think we've given up on that ever being fixed :)
  • sebmacflysebmacfly Member Posts: 1,018
    Can't wait to see an update, i'm having bad performances with the 0.9.8 version...
    My game lags
  • dudemangamesdudemangames Member Posts: 16
    Glad to hear we have a patch in the works, and thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. can't wait to release this game and start the next one.
    dudemangames said:
    Glad to hear we have a patch in the works, and thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. can't wait to release this game and start the next one.

ditto, its great to hear that there is a fix in the works :) And Skullcracker looks awesome! :D
  • chumsizechumsize Member Posts: 10
    any word on the logic-going-haywire-until-you-recode-rules bugs?

PS: Anyone needs .97 and lives in silly-cone valley... i'm still running it.
  • BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374
    I just noticed I still have GaneSalad (0.9.71) in my trash bin. Do I just copy it over (0.9.8) to get back to 0.9.71? Do I need to do anything else?

Thanks!!
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    Hey, everyone.

Just wanted to give another update. The patch (0.9.81) is currently in QA. We're trying to get a Sous Chef build out tomorrow for testing over the weekend and a full patch release early next week.

As for the iPad splash issue that's been brought up, QA and our devs are still investigating it. As soon as I get more info on it, we'll pass along. Thanks for your patience and we'll get this out as fast as we can.

--Yodapollo
  • iKandyiKandy Imagineer of Crazy Shit New York CityMember Posts: 310
    Thanks for the update. I made a terrific game in GS 9.7 and when I published it in 9.8 it got completely ruined. The 9.8 build had failure to load sounds, and really slow and clunky performance and since this was not happening in the GS Player there's no way to troubleshoot the game. Not only that, I mistakenly published the new files to Apple Store and when people started download the game it was all screwed up. Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully the patch will solve my problems.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    :(

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    Yodapollo said:
    Hey, everyone.

Just wanted to give another update. The patch (0.9.81) is currently in QA. We're trying to get a Sous Chef build out tomorrow for testing over the weekend and a full patch release early next week.

As for the iPad splash issue that's been brought up, QA and our devs are still investigating it. As soon as I get more info on it, we'll pass along. Thanks for your patience and we'll get this out as fast as we can.

--Yodapollo

Or make it available to paying customers and get the testing done in 1/10th of the time.

Splash Issue posted in feedback / tech support 5+ months ago http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=21691

????
  • mtinglemtingle Member Posts: 41
    testing needs to be done by volunteers from the general community not just the mods. The general public will give very honest and robust testing in many configurations. They are working on real world projects that they know intimately and can spot things going awry. I can see now why these releases are not very robust with many flaws.

It is also vital to give the previous 'safe' builds for people to fall back to, to deny that is just not very professional IMO.
This discussion has been closed.