GameSalad 0.9.80 Beta: Loading, Performance, & In-App Browser

Comments

• azimpactazimpact Member Posts: 112
    "so my work around was to have the sound play on the game over scene."

What do you mean by that?
  • FlayerFlayer Member Posts: 3
    I need a url open to put a link on my game in mac please (game for mac app store), I get an error >.<
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    Okay so I read through this whole thread and I'm still confused.
    I know not to uncheck all the preload stuff on every actor, but what stuff can we uncheck?
    Background at? Character art?
    Things that might be going on during the level (background stuff)?

Thanks,
    Bray
  • YamasotoYamasoto Member, PRO Posts: 75
    Hi! How are you?

I have installed the new version 0.9.8 today, and I've seen some things changed.

My first problem is that when I pause the game.

I play a game level (1-1 for example). When the main character death, I play sound about 2 seconds, and at the same time, I pause the game (scene about your death) after 1 second.
    Before, on last versions, the sound continued to play.

Now, with the new version 0.9.8, the sounds stop when pause screen appers.

PD: Sorry for my english...
  • COBGamesCOBGames Member Posts: 114
    azimpact said:
    "so my work around was to have the sound play on the game over scene."

What do you mean by that?

so when the game over screen pops up I have an actor that plays the sound that used to play when my actor collided in the game scene. when my actor collides causing game over i have it pause scene and go to my game over screen. if you play bubble dodger lite in the game salad arcade you can see what happens when you collide with bubbles.
  • imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    imGua said:
    I have a lot of lags after update (

Also my fps jumps like crazy...
  • RumiRumi Member, PRO Posts: 343
    Should you just uncheck preload on everything? or only on the actors that have a change image or animate behaivior?
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    Rumi said:
    Should you just uncheck preload on everything? or only on the actors that have a change image or animate behaivior?

No, I wouldn't do that. In your game, whatever actors are there when the scene first displays, are the ones that you should leave to be pre-loaded. Anything after the game is going that spawns or whatever, can be un-checked, and let them load when the game calls on them. And this practice should be used in the beginning of every scene, not just the first one.
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 284
    Nope, mine has some massive performance issues too. I'm making a vertical shooter and in my gameplay testing scene there are only some star particles, the player plus max. 10 shots at once and every 3 seconds a spawned enemy.
    Before, there were absolutely no issues, the game ran smoothly at 60 frames. Now, everything still only uses around 20mb ram in total but the frame rate keeps declining down to 30 fps. This totally messes up my game.
  • David_GryphonsRealmDavid_GryphonsRealm Member Posts: 459
    Im gonna wait to update ... too many issues I keep reading about.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Well having read everyone's comments. It sounds like there are performance improvements to be had but people are getting confused when or when not to use the preload feature. I guess everyone will perfect using it as time goes by.

Also the sound bug sounds like a problem for quite a few.

I'll take a look soon to see if I can improve the loading times in one of my games. It was already setup with my in game scene load timer (stormystudio times machine , free on my website). So should be able to track any noticeable improvements. It will be amazing if we can achieve the near no loading times mentioned.

Maybe if all scenes start with a fade up from black (if it suits your game) you could have nothing preload, and design your games do actors are only loaded as and when they are needed.

Exciting stuff, thanks gs for striving to make great software.
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Hey everyone,

Ok, let me start off by saying great job on getting the update out GameSalad! There are definitely some great features being introduced here. I like the idea of a built in app browser. That sounds like it could be very useful. The ability to theoretically eliminate loading times (when executed correctly) is also another huge step in the right direction. However, I do have some concerns with the update as well.

After reading through this thread, it sounds like there are quite a few bugs that have been encountered. Because of this, I haven't yet updated to the new version. So, my question is this. For those of you who HAVE updated, should I go ahead and update or wait for a patch? Speaking of a patch, can anyone at GameSalad (Lauren for example) give any details about when you all should have these issues resolved? I realize it takes time for your support team to log all the issues they have found, but I am on a very tight schedule with several apps and NEED to have a beta of an upcoming app sent to our QA team by Friday (tomorrow) afternoon. Anyone with an answer to either question, please let me know.

Again, thanks for the update GameSalad. It is definitely a big step forward towards 1.0, but if someone could enlighten me on weather I should update now or not, as well as provide some info about a patch, I would much appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

- Alex
  • 8BitAvrin8BitAvrin Member, PRO Posts: 368
    well I updated and checked the main project I'm working on. Didn't notice any performance improvements on the device, fps and memory. I'll test some of my other projects later but the first one I tested was the most complex, maybe I've squeezed the engine to the max already.....ha...probably not, I'm not that skilled yet.

However, I'm not sure about this statement in the update that was made:

"Included in this release are the first of two major behind-the-scenes revisions to our engine's asset and memory management. "

....but I'm guessing that's something noticeable during the longer gaming sessions.

Anyways thank you Gamesalad for being Gamesalad. Can't wait for the next update and then version 1.0. I've got two planned ace releases for January 2012 so hopefully at least one of the big updates is prior to then. Thanks!

WebsiteTwitter ∞ My apps are available on: Apple iOS App StoreGoogle Play App StoreAmazon App Store

• dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    As to FPS issues. I am guessing that some of that is when people are not preloading the majority of their images. Then when the games starts the images start to load (or load later at a specified point/time as allowed). I can see that this could cause an immediate drop in FPS when this is happening because now the device is not only performing the rules that are currently happening but also loading up massive amounts of data (i.e., images). Thus, I think this new feature has to be used very carefully and you will need to harmonize between load times and the potential sudden loss of FPS in game. Clearly, everything a player would see when an initial scene loads up should be preloaded (unless you are going to use a fade in effect). As to other images, I think those should be loaded up periodically in game rather than all at once and only when they are needed. But even doing that may cause FPS issues if they are needed at a time when the device is already working hard on performing a complicated set of rules at the same time. Thus, what I think you should really shoot for is to load things that are not preloaded during portions of the games when not much is going on, if possible. But if your game has complicated rules going on all the time, I think your only choice is to sacrifice some scene load time and preload many of the items from the start. Thus, I think in the end it will come down to trial and error to get an even balance between the two (load time and FPS) in complicated games. And each and every game (at least complicated ones) will be different in that respect.

The fact is that at some point the images need to be loaded (either preloaded=longer load times, or loaded on the fly which possibly=FPS/performance drop). GS can't do anything about that (unless the way things are being loaded now is just straight up inefficient, which I wouldn't guess would be the issue). What I think all of this does for us, is gives us the tools to chose our options that best fit our particular game. In the end, I think GS deserves kudos for that.

As to the sound and otherwise issues (let's get those fixed, please). Also, can't believe they have not fixed the IPAD custom splash issue. I pay for Pro and should be able to use it and that is the best feature of Pro. There is no excuse for that. But in the end. I love GS, so just my words of encouragement.
  • FlayerFlayer Member Posts: 3
    only as a suggestion, could return to version 0.9.7 as it solves the problems of the new update, thank you very much for your time.
  • Supersonic9120Supersonic9120 Member, PRO Posts: 174
    I have been developing a game and on edge of release figured this update would speed up loading times. My game uses large levels with a lot of graphics. The game runs fine for a couple separate scene, "Levels" and then slows down immensely to a stop almost. I wonder if it is because the game dumps used images out of memory which are used again in the next scenes.

Regardless, I have stopped my final developments because when testing the game literally stops. Whereas it was very fluid motion before. There must be an error. I am very confident there should be a patch of some sort for these issues. Gamesalad is a great creative program, awesome guys awesome! Plus, I love the In-App browsing. sweet.
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    Flayer said:
    only as a suggestion, could return to version 0.9.7 as it solves the problems of the new update, thank you very much for your time.

+1. I would almost rather go back to a more stable version of GameSalad for those of us (myself included) who are up against very tight deadlines, or who are almost finished with their game. Then, when 0.9.8 is bullet proof, release it to the masses. Either that, or a patch is in order in my opinion. I don't want this to sound like I'm complaining because I'm not. It amazes me every time you guys release an update at just how much effort you put in and how much you want this tool to succeed. I really appreciate all your hard work GameSalad. From the top to the bottom. Keep it up!

- Alex
  • zombieaddictzombieaddict Member Posts: 213
    solved my crashing issue. there was one actor apparently causing the whole problem. had to go through deleting actors one by one until GS decided to work properly. i am happy now.

edit: apparently its the particular sound file being accessed with the play sound behaviour that was inside that actor that causes the crash. strange considering it doesn't do it on any previous versions of GS.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    zombieaddict said:
    solved my crashing issue. there was one actor apparently causing the whole problem. had to go through deleting actors one by one until GS decided to work properly. i am happy now.

edit: apparently its the particular sound file being accessed with the play sound behaviour that was inside that actor that causes the crash. strange considering it doesn't do it on any previous versions of GS.

Could be tied to the other sound issues people are having again. Please if you already haven't Send you Project before you fixed and a copy after you fixed with detailed Explanations of the issue to bugs@gamesalad.com hopefully we can get them moving a patch for these sound issues that others are reporting.
  • BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374
    Is it possible to go back to 0.97? If so how do you do it? What problems will I have if I have already edited my app with 0.98?
  • BackUpAndDownBackUpAndDown Member Posts: 685
    You just have to wait until the next update with all the fixes in it.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    LaurenSalad said:
    The plug in tab is the reflection of some groundwork we are laying internally for future features additions. We look forward to sharing more with you as soon as it's ready.

Hopefully this will be the ability to add 3rd party networks like Open Feint and Papaya. This will be especially necessary when GS can publish to Android. Content delivery services like Urban Airship will also be very useful for managing iap content. I'm guessing GS wouldn't be able to offer a similar service to this?
  • azimpactazimpact Member Posts: 112
    It would be nice to get some type of feed back as to whether or not a patch is going to be released like they did last time.

If there is going to be no patch, that means it could be a while before I can publish my latest game that is sitting here ready to go.

They should allow publishing on the latest and the newest version which would elimate not being able to publish certain apps when they release upgrades that break them.

I love gamesalad but am bummed out that I can not publish my app now unless I redo it and try to work around the sound bug.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    For everyone wishing to go back to .9.7, you can't. When you publish the app, it still gets compiled as a .9.8 app.

That is why you should all be backing up your project file before upgrading, and making a backup of the gamesalad executable. That would at least allow you to continue working on your app.

But you will never be able to publish a .9.7 app again.
  • arcticsunrisearcticsunrise Member Posts: 159
    I havent upgraded and wont either. The new features etc dont make a massive impact. My game has gone to Apple for review and once me and my current client are happy then ill see about upgrading GS for my personal projects and new client deadline which is February (plenty of time to address bugs and issue)
  • laytolayto Member Posts: 41
    My problem is that I need to throw a free version of my game for mac, but me there does not work the " OPEN URL ", since gamesalad updated 0.9.8, please it helps I need this as prompt as possible behavior, in advance thank you very much, cordial regards
    has anyone noticed that the GameSalad crashes whenever you try and preview the game in any way!
  • ourhouseourhouse Member Posts: 31
    I upgraded yesterday and created a new version of my new book app in hopes of getting the improved performance (I already had disappointing load times when switching between scenes). My first build I tested it and it not only didn't improve, but seemed even slower (yuck). After reading through this thread I took a breath and had another go at it. I strategically unchecked "preload" on all my actors (where are almost all images) that did not absolutely need to be the first thing a user sees in the scene. The result? Fantastically improved performance with very little lag time when switching scenes. It did mess up my FPS a little bit on some page flip animation (resulting in not going through the full sequence before the 1-second timer finished and goes to the next scene). In my case, even that was an improvement because previously I had a 1-sec delay for the animated page flip and even then it would hang for another second or two (or three or four). Next I think I'll up it to change scenes after 1/2 second and just shortened the animation.

Vastly improved performance. I like the in-app browser. The FPS on animation could easily catch me if I were using it in a different way (granted mine is a book app so functions very different from a player game). I have not experienced sound issues with it. I've already submitted an update to Apple under the update.
    actually, it only crashes on this one scene where i replaced a move to with an interpolate

EDIT: I re-replaced it and it still crashes! ARgh its so annoying!
This discussion has been closed.