Timer problems after upgrading to 0.8.8

Comments

• hrsmediahrsmedia Member Posts: 522
    I am testing on iPod Touch 2G. The issue occurs in GS viewer, and in Ad-hoc build.
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    As an experiment I created a iPad version of my game to see, and same thing.

Some Things work fine, and others which should be no problem don't. Simple case: my game starts with an actor that has the camera on it and for 5 seconds it moves horizontally across the level. Based on timer and the other method neither work. BUT even moving the move attribute outside the timer it still doesn't move (unless I start the level with a reset scene action).
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    Is anybody NOT experiencing this problem?
  • ckck Member Posts: 224
    Yeah, I have huge performance issues on a game that worked really well before. f'in f'in f f!

After 8.6, 8.7, and 8.8' I'm feeling like a paid-up canary in the Gamesalad coalmine.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    It's pretty shocking that they're not responding... is ALL support for Pro Only???
  • design219design219 Member Posts: 2,273
    I suspect these problems have taken them by surprise. I'm sure they are on it, but I'd like to hear that.
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    +1
    Would reverting to 0.8.7 work?
  • EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    But then people will be complaining about the lack of Fast App Switching capabilities :/
    This is HIGHLY annoying. I've had to submit my game as I have no idea how long Gendai will take to fix this but I'm really not happy with having to submit a title with these glitches!!!! They better fix it fast or I will be very pissed off. The fact that they haven't even said anything about this MAJOR flaw is pretty terrifying...
  • scitunesscitunes Member, Sous Chef Posts: 4,047
    @POLYGAMe - I've been using GS for around a year which was before appstore publishing was even available. My experience has been that many updates that have been released have been followed by patches that fix the problems people are having and often times there are no Dev responses on the forum other than to announce the patch release. So the fact that there is not a yellow post in this thread does not mean the Devs aren't working on a patch - be patient, it'll come.
    Good to hear... hope you're right!
    Yes, they are on to it. They have my build of Max Vector to play around with and see what's happening :)
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803
    Yes, we are looking into this issue.
    Remember, if you have a copy of your 0.8.7 project that you have not opened in 0.8.8, you can still publish with that version.
    Unfortunately, my 0.8.7 version was a couple of days behind... WAY too much to redo.
    Thanks for the response code monkey - we appreciate it.
  • ixolitixolit Member Posts: 15
    hi,

i hope a bugfix for this timer problem will come soon!
    my game is finished to 99% and as a pro member i want publish it with iAds but since 0.8.8 my game is not playable anymore :/ i use timers to spawn actors but sometimes the timer do ugly stuff. i think sometimes the timer go slower and after a time he try to get his normal speed and than to many actors in same time spawn on the screen.
  • hrsmediahrsmedia Member Posts: 522
    To avoid this issue in my game, I just put a Touch to Start button at the beginning of each level. So the timers only begin when you hit the button.
    Glad I'm on vacation, hope this is sorted when I'm back.
    Any update on a fix yet? It will be two weeks come Monday and the bugs seem to be getting worse in the 8.8 version. Now It hangs when I drag a rule to the 'my behaviours' list. My confidence is waning but any news is good news.
    +1
  • reddotincreddotinc Member Posts: 653
    I've just implemented the custom timers in my game and it is so much better.. 1 timer and a couple of rules instead of 4+ timers in an actor :)

// Red Dot Inc
    How do you mean custom timers? I'm still a-learnin' ;-)
    Basically, instead of having multiple timers, I have one timer that updates an attribute every second.

I then can set rules to say, when attr = 3 do this, when attr = 6 do this etc

previous I was saying after 3 second do this, after 6 seconds do this, so now I'm just using 1 timer per actor that i need to use timers for.

This is especially helpful for linked actors which you can now sync really really accurately.

// Red Dot Inc
    Ah, thanks! This would be perfect for my shooter, I'm guessing would speed the game up a heap too, eh?
    I was using "after 20sec" spawn enemy01, then every 0.7sec spawn enemy 01 for 10sec (or similar). By simply changing the attributes I could save my self a whole heap of code and maybe even get the game running on standard iphone... thanks!
    POLYGAMe said:
    Ah, thanks! This would be perfect for my shooter, I'm guessing would speed the game up a heap too, eh?

I really REALLY hope so :)

need to try and integrate it in as many places as possible!
    Oh wait... I still need the "every 0.7 sec" timers to spawn the enemies so might not speed it up too much but I can use it for attack patterns. Cheers :) I'll implement this in an update. Game is finished but it can slow down a little when there is a heap on screen. Will fix in the future.
  • osalzanoosalzano Member, PRO Posts: 136
    I'm expiriencing the same timer problems.
    And the worst of all is that it is no longer possible to compile with 0.8.7.