GameSalad 0.8.8 Beta - Retina Display & iAd Support

Comments

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Thanks for answering without taking offence - it really was a genuine question as I see so many people writing 'I'd get a pro licence if I could make some money with iAds'.

Right! BED FOR THE SHEEP!

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• chosenonestudioschosenonestudios Member Posts: 1,714
    Koda89 said:
    Too bad the only major new feature I can use is the Retina Display....which is something I soooooo totally wanted. [/sarcasm]

If you cant think of anything to use that with... Im not really sure theres any pleasing you...

Not to mention theres lots of little handy things they added...

Not limited to, but including: ...

Imported images larger than 1024 in either dimension can be scaled down to 1024.
Imported images and sounds with duplicate names can be automatically renamed to a unique name.
Feedback status wheel added when opening shared projects.

*'More' button added to the Shared Projects tab of the Dashboard to show more projects.
Delete key on a keyboard can be used to delete actors, scenes, and sounds assets.
    *When a Rule or Group is created to encompass a selected behavior(s), the behaviors will stay in their current location instead of shifting to the bottom of the view.

*Behaviors can now be dragged between different projects safely.

*Particle system memory leak fixed.

*Crash fixes.
    *Sound assets in the media pane can be dragged in and out of the project via the icon.

Honestly those things right there are more important than Aids...

Like everyone has said before me.. Aids is just a tool.. If you don't have a good game, it wont do anything for you....

Sooo instead of looking at what your not getting, look at what you are... Aids isn't the profit machine everyone thinks it is... Give it another month and you'll see... Also, please take this with a grain of salt, and most importantly, have a nice day!
  • IntelligentDesignerIntelligentDesigner Member Posts: 517
    This makes GameSalad a passable proof of concept tool,
    but definitely not one to make marketable apps.

Thanks Gendai! I guess we needed a reason to give up the crutches.

Can I get an "A-Men"?
  • LordTarantorLordTarantor Member, PRO Posts: 890
    I am with you in this one QS.
    If Gendai agree to this I am willing to throw an extra 2 hundred as a bonus.
  • Koda89Koda89 Member Posts: 275
    chosenonestudios said:
    1)
Imported images larger than 1024 in either dimension can be scaled down to 1024.
    2)Imported images and sounds with duplicate names can be automatically renamed to a unique name.
    3)Feedback status wheel added when opening shared projects.

4)'More' button added to the Shared Projects tab of the Dashboard to show more projects.
    5)Delete key on a keyboard can be used to delete actors, scenes, and sounds assets.
    6)When a Rule or Group is created to encompass a selected behavior(s), the behaviors will stay in their current location instead of shifting to the bottom of the view.

7)Behaviors can now be dragged between different projects safely.

8)Particle system memory leak fixed.

9)Crash fixes.
    10)Sound assets in the media pane can be dragged in and out of the project via the icon.

1) Don't care, cause all of my images are in the right dimensions to begin with.
    2) Don't care.
    3) I don't do shared projects, so yet again, don't care.
    4) That was already on the last version. Trust me, I saw it with my own two eyes, so it isn't new.
    5) That barely speeds things up, and my Delete key is sometimes unresponsive, so I probably won't even use it.
    6) Ok, that is KINDA useful, cause I did get annoyed a lot when making my new game where that would happen a lot. Granted, it didn't screw anything up, so useful, but not a huge deal for me.
    7) Meh, most of my games are based off the same templates to begin with, most of the stuff's already in them, but it could be useful for things. This is about the closest we've come to being able to import games into other games.
    8) That's ok, I don't use Particles much, though.
    9) Yay, hopefully that sticks.
    10) Meh.

So a lot of micro features I either don't care about or won't be using. The ones I do care about, though, aren't enough to outweigh the Pro-only iAds. That was the big thing I was waiting for this update, not a bunch of stuff I didn't know I supposedly wanted.
    Quoting JGary Here "Totally agree. You can't throw Ads on a crap game and expect to make money. In MY case I will use iAds after my sales have pretty much dropped off totally. It makes no sense to be selling Ads on a game that could be making money off of purchases. Later down the road release a freebie Ad version to make a little bit more money. Do NOT make the same one with Ads, as that will only inflame those who have paid for the current Ad-free version. Make a separate binary that would be free and then advertise on forums about your awesome game going free...."

Aids isnt that big of a deal... You still need a good app, which only you can handle doing..
  • Koda89Koda89 Member Posts: 275
    chosenonestudios said:
    Quoting JGary Here "Totally agree. You can't throw Ads on a crap game and expect to make money. In MY case I will use iAds after my sales have pretty much dropped off totally. It makes no sense to be selling Ads on a game that could be making money off of purchases. Later down the road release a freebie Ad version to make a little bit more money. Do NOT make the same one with Ads, as that will only inflame those who have paid for the current Ad-free version. Make a separate binary that would be free and then advertise on forums about your awesome game going free...."

Aids isnt that big of a deal... You still need a good app, which only you can handle doing..

It may not be that big of a deal, but at least it is SOME extra money. That's the point. I rather have a feature that will at least give me some kind of extra cash instead a bunch a features/tweaks I may or may not use.
    Koda89 said:
    It may not be that big of a deal, but at least it is SOME extra money. That's the point. I rather have a feature that will at least give me some kind of extra cash instead a bunch a features/tweaks I may or may not use.

Even if you had it you MIGHT not even get to use it... Apple picks which apps get adds, there are alot of iAds apps right now, with well, no adds....

Its kinda like getting featured... But if you had a great paid game getting featured, you'd probably make more money....
    Ah, but if you had a great free game being featured that had iAds, you'd make more money twice.

Once when the Ads were seen on the freebie that got downloaded no risk and again when the customer realized the game was worth the $ 4.99 and buys the ad-free version.

Of course this does depend on the developer making something worthwhile.

Now do you get it? (Its called marketing...)
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    Gendai,

What sampling algorithm is used for downsizing images with Resolution Independence?
    LOL!
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    What!? That was a serious question! What they use to down-sample images has an effect on how images should be prepared for device independent apps.
    Heehee, like they'll tell you... chortle! guffaw...

Seriously, that is why you are better off not relying on a pat routine, since it may negatively affect your L&F. It will always continue to be better to prepare custom graphics by hand for the specified res.

Sometimes you've gotta try for a hour in PS to get it right for one image and the next is different...
  • haim96haim96 Member Posts: 87
    iAds for pro!? does anyone here have pro membership!?
    Gendai, you better work on fixing bugs and performance
    (and then add IMPORTANT missing features) than adding feature for no one!
    if i want IAds (or any ads) i will use other SDK that cost less then $2000
    (and probably have more features... )

Ratina!? big deal! what about support multitasking? or camera? or multi touch?
    or maybe you keep these for PRO members too?

this is suck!!!
    I think we should all cut them some slack.. They've really created an amazing program...

@haim GS supports multitouch ;D
  • ipwnuipwnu Member Posts: 19
    haim96 said:

Ratina!? big deal! what about support multitasking? or camera? or multi touch?
    or maybe you keep these for PRO members too?

uuuh multitouch has been there for a while and it looks like multitasking works just fine. i think that was a given with OS4 support when the GS guys added iAds since it also needs to be supported.

edit: I just clicked my game again after a few hours and it was still at the last place I left it. its pause!!!! ha!
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    chosenonestudios said:

Aids isn't the profit machine everyone thinks it is...

Unless you're a drug company! HAHAHAHAHA!
  • JCFordJCFord Member Posts: 785
    Gendai dev team - you can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all of the time. A nice update and appreciated here thank you.

JCFord
    Same here.
    chosenonestudios said:
    I think we should all cut them some slack.. They've really created an amazing program...

@haim GS supports multitouch ;D

not all aspect of it work well... did you try to create actor that follow your finger?
    for multitasking... last time i check - game was reset. not paused. so NO! it doesn't supported!
    performance are suck! you all have agree! games works much slower on iPhone then MAC.
    iAds - are not profit machine? great! why give it only to PRO membership?
    haim96 said:
    not all aspect of it work well... did you try to create actor that follow your finger?
    for multitasking... last time i check - game was reset. not paused. so NO! it doesn't supported!
    performance are suck! you all have agree! games works much slower on iPhone then MAC.
    iAds - are not profit machine? great! why give it only to PRO membership?

Yes, my game's main character follows your finger... works perfectly.

Um.. and runs slower on an iPhone? What do you expect?!?!?! There aren't many iPhones around with core2duo CPUs and several GB of RAM!
    quantumsheep said:
    I'm off to bed now, but I'll leave you with a question:

A lot of people that would like iAds for the express version have said that they would buy the pro membership if they could make money from iAds. It's a reason (one of many, sure) that they'd like to see iAds in the express version.

So here's the question. If this is true, would you think it reasonable for Gendai to take the first $1900 of your accounts earnings from the app store?

If your arguement to Gendai is that you want iAds to get a pro membership, this would be reasonable, no?

An honest question. I look forward to the replies when I wake up in two and a half hours! :D

Cheers,

QS :D

i'm not sure that the current state of GS can bring you $1900 in reasonable time.
    the low performance of it not allow you to build very attractive games.
    and there is a lot of features missing.

and by the way, i don't think this is a big update since ratina is only higer res images.
    (kind of the changing mad for ipad)
    and URLs already allowed if pro.. they just made adjustment for iads...
    so still no big deal...
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    haim96 said:
    the low performance of it not allow you to build very attractive games.

It's not the software that's limiting that, I'm afraid ;)
    POLYGAMe said:
    Yes, my game's main character follows your finger... works perfectly.

Um.. and runs slower on an iPhone? What do you expect?!?!?! There aren't many iPhones around with core2duo CPUs and several GB of RAM!

1. nice, tell me how it should be done... maybe in other post... not here. because i failed in this.
    2. that's why you test the game on emulator\game creator. it should reflect the iphone CPU performance! when it's not, it's like GS lie to you!
    you work on your game mounts just to discover that it works slow on the iphone!
    it's really limit you on what games you can create with it, i Definitely not worth $2000. (Barely $99)
    POLYGAMe said:
    It's not the software that's limiting that, I'm afraid ;)

iphone runs 3d games smoothly!
    beside that,check out CORONA ... i'm positive it's the software...
    I see what you mean. It would be good to have a system, like what Unity uses that emulates the device's gfx capabilities. Good point!
    don't get wrong... i think that GS is great but it need more work.
    and i think it's outrageous that they put they efforts on the wrong place: PRO membership
    while most of the users, these who paid only $99 (for beta) need to wait for missing basic features and need to handle bugs.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Wow! this is one proper exciting update...

missed all the action last night, fixing my sister in laws laptop...

Then this morning fire up the Gamesalad website,

...ooh the main screen has changes on, (pupils dilate)

...some new Gendai game...oh wait what are those buttons down the right... Then it sinks in....(sweat builds on brow)

...iOS4 support... no friggin way... (get the shivers,)

...Retina display, (ooh, heart beat racing)

,,,,then the shiny beacon of iAds....(that's it I've collapsed in a big sweaty dilating mess on my work floor).

Now do I wack the Pro membership on my credit card, add iAds and update Quake Builder. There's around 36,000 lite versions downloaded out there...(hopefully not all promptly deleted).. I'm sure the one thing all those users want are me to give them the full version of my game and cram it with iAds... like a good honest marketing bastard.

....I know this is what so many other people will do so why not join the parade.

..Massive thanks to Gendai...you are true legends...I assume we can pause now ;-)
  • StrobanikStrobanik Member Posts: 77
    This is excellent, splendid and marvellous. I really did not expect this update so soon. You're a great bunch and you make one hell of a program. Now I'm off to render all my graphics in a bigger resolution! Yey!