GameSalad 0.8.8 Beta - Retina Display & iAd Support

YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
Hey, everybody!

So, I'm just going to cut to the chase: We've got a new version of GameSalad, and it's kind of a big deal. Sure it took about a week longer to get out than normal, but when we found out that we could cram all this in for only a one-week delay in exchange, we figured it was a no-brainer. We think you'll agree.

In GameSalad 0.8.8 Beta, you'll find total support for Apple's new Retina Display. We've done this through a system we like to call "Resolution Independence". Now, when you create a project, you will no longer be tied down to the exact resolution. Instead, you will only choose the device and orientation. This way, you'll be able to take full advantage of iPhone 4's double resolution without having to create a separate project. For a little deeper explanation of our new "Resolution Independence" support, check out our video:

Additional material on Resolution Independence can be found in our Wiki.

Also in GS 0.8.8 Beta, we are proud to announce our newest Pro Behavior: Show iAd. Yes, iAds are now supported in GameSalad, and available for integration by any Pro member. By integrating iAd support as a behavior, we've given you the ability for greater customization in terms of how iAds are put into your game. With this, you can tell iAds to only show up on certain screens, following certain behaviors or events, or even change the location where they appear and their duration. If you'd like a more detailed tutorial on the Show iAd behavior, take a look at this video:

Additional material on "Show iAd" behavior can be found in our Wiki.

Of course, that's not all we've brought to GameSalad in 0.8.8. We've improved the sound selection screen, now allowing you better dragging and dropping with audio files. We have added a “More” button under ‘Shared Projects’ for easier navigation through all the online projects. Image larger than 1024 in either dimension now have the option of being automatically scaled down upon import, instead of you having to go back into your illustration program and resize. The “Delete” key can now be used to remove actors, sounds, assets, and even scenes. We've improved stability even more, resolving a collection of issues and crashes that have bothered users in the past, including a memory leak caused by the particle system.

All in all, we think this is a huge update, and really feel this is a version of GameSalad to get excited about. For a detailed breakdown of everything in GameSalad 0.8.8 Beta, here are our release notes for the new version. Enjoy!

GameSalad Creator version 0.8.8 beta

Features
*Show iAd behavior. Pro Membership only.
Resolution independence. Easy game compatibility for normal and iPhone4 resolution.
Imported images larger than 1024 in either dimension can be scaled down to 1024.
Imported images and sounds with duplicate names can be automatically renamed to a unique name.
Feedback status wheel added when opening shared projects.

*'More' button added to the Shared Projects tab of the Dashboard to show more projects.

Fixes
Delete key on a keyboard can be used to delete actors, scenes, and sounds assets.
*When a Rule or Group is created to encompass a selected behavior(s), the behaviors will stay in their current location instead of shifting to the bottom of the view.

*Behaviors can now be dragged between different projects safely.

*Particle system memory leak fixed.

*Crash fixes.
*Sound assets in the media pane can be dragged in and out of the project via the icon.

GameSalad Viewer for iPhone version 0.8.8 beta

Features
*Support for Resolution Independence testing.

*Support for Show iAd behavior. OS4 only.

GameSalad Viewer for iPad version 0.8.8 beta

Features

Support for Resolution Independence testing.

*Project compatibility for Show iAd behavior.

GameSalad Web Plugin version 0.8.8 beta

Features

*Project compatibility for Resolution Independence and iAds updates

There, you have it. GameSalad 0.8.8 is here!

Remember, ALWAYS update your preview player to match the version of the GameSalad Creator you are currently using to build your game. Also, for those updating to GameSalad 0.8.8, you will be required to download and agree to the Apple iPhone OS 4.0 SDK Agreement in order to get the viewer to function properly. You can find all the info you need about upgrading to iOS 4 SDK on Apple's website.

*Download GameSalad 0.8.8 Beta
*Check out Resolution Independence Video & Wiki Tutorials
*Check out iAd Pro Behavior Video & Wiki Tutorials
*Upgrade to Apple iPhone 4.0 SDK

Create something revolutionary.

Comments

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    *grabs popcorn, braces for impact*

:D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• EastboundEastbound Member, BASIC Posts: 1,074
    Do apps properly pause for fast app switching? I assume they must for iAds?
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    Thanks GS! And thanks for giving us non pro members the royal shaft on iAds. I see how much you care.
  • JackBQuickJackBQuick Member Posts: 524
    quantumsheep said:
    *grabs popcorn, braces for impact*

:D

*sits next to quantumsheep. waits.*

Thanks for the update, Yodapollo and GameSalad team! Your hard work and efforts are much appreciated.
  • hrsmediahrsmedia Member Posts: 522
    My game is nearly finished in 0.8.7, is it possible that it might affect some game behaviours if I upgrade? Also will I get any performance benefits from upgrading to 0.8.8 like loading times? Should I just finish my game in 0.8.7? Thanks
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    @hrsmedia,

There should be no ill effects toward your behaviors by upgrading to 0.8.8. You will also have the ability to take full advantage of Retina display on iPhone. However, if you're comfortable upgrading quite yet, 0.8.7 will still be available for publishing.

--Yodapollo
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    resolution independence looks awesome! and the iads implementation looks very easy to use. Great update guys.
  • VoidedSkyVoidedSky Member Posts: 1,095
    I don't have snow leopard yet, so I shouldn't update yet?
    Or will just the viewer not work.
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    I can't wait for a "page 2" because scrolling past yoda's entire post just to see the backlash is killing my thumb!
    JackBQuick said:
    *sits next to quantumsheep. waits.*

Hold onto your feathers, kid, this might get a bit bumpy ;)

QS :D

• jweaver911jweaver911 Member Posts: 439
    *grabs gummy bears*

*sits one buffer seat away from QS and JackBQuick so as to not look suspicious*

...2000 dollar iAd update...

Sigh...
    Yodapollo said:
    @hrsmedia,

There should be no ill effects toward your behaviors by upgrading to 0.8.8. You will also have the ability to take full advantage of Retina display on iPhone. However, if you're comfortable upgrading quite yet, 0.8.7 will still be available for publishing.

--Yodapollo

I'd appreciate knowing if it supports pausing for fast app switching. I have a game near completion and would like to know if an update is worth risking for full iOS4 support.
  • hrsmediahrsmedia Member Posts: 522
    @Yodapollo

Thanks for quick response, I will probably backup project and upgrade. Fingers crossed...

Anyone opened up a working project in 0.8.8 yet?
  • laxking97laxking97 Member Posts: 114
    Why iAds for only Pro members? My dad said he might get me the Express if iAds were included, but I guess not. Thanks a ton *sarcasm*
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    My project is working great in 0.8.8...

And the audio swapping feature is a godsend, as I have over 200 audio files in this game!

Thanks for the great update Gendai!
    I appreciate all your hard work!
  • osalzanoosalzano Member, PRO Posts: 136
    What annoys me most is the fact that the Yodapollo, even after a discussion with over 100 responses, ignores most of us and speaks absolutely nothing about the decision to provide iAds only for Pro users.

I'm still feeling like an idiot.
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    Excellent, Yodapollo/Gendai, thanks! The ability to drag Behaviours between files is particularly welcomed, personally speaking.

:-]

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    Not my cup of tea for the most part..... but I can see where the effort has gone, so well done Gendai for the update.

Now all the iAds and iphone4 stuff are out of the way, can we please get some updates/maintenance to the editor side of things.

Fix random, better font support, snap to grid, better layer tools, multiple select/drag/drop of actors, easier flowing interface rather than having to drop out of menus all the time..... that sort of stuff.

Go on Gendai...do an update concentrating on those...you know you want to :)
    I'm surprise that QS hasn't PAUSED by to point out that they've added the ability for iAd to suspend gameplay to display an ad, but they still haven't added a pause/preserve scene behavior!
    barkbark00 said:
    I'm surprise that QS hasn't PAUSED by to point out that they've added the ability for iAd to suspend gameplay to display an ad, but they still haven't added a pause/preserve scene behavior!

I'm sure it's soon, considering they already have the framework done. I'd bet its going to be in the next or next next release.

The problem is deciding how to implement pause (which gendai has stated). Simply suspending the app was much easier to implement I'd bet.
  • synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 1,693
    @ bark...
    Its my understanding that the pause for iAds is built into the Apple API...and is an OS4 capability...

For GS to have a pause...Gendai has to build their own internal pause API...a completely different animal to tame.

BTW:
    Thanks for the update Gendai. The inter-project drag and drop is a nice addition. Thanks also for fixing the particle leak...now maybe my shelved game will finally begin to work again.
    @BarkBark

/points at Synth

What he said!

Adding an iAd banner in xCode isn't the only step to get this working for the real world. The dev has to manually tell his app to stop all nonessential operations when the full page ad is activated/displayed.

That said, Gendai has already had to do what amounts to the equivalent of "pause" in order to support iAd.
  • jweaver911jweaver911 Member Posts: 439
    I think Chunky said a mouthful....And I agree.
  • Koda89Koda89 Member Posts: 275
    Honestly, this is a dick move on your part, Gendai.

Sure you just made us without Pro want it more, however, one slight problem, MOST OF US CAN'T AFFORD PRO!

Now if iAds was for Express, then it would be easier for us to buy that precious Pro membership.

I'm actually getting pretty close to just saying screw it with GameSalad cause of moves like this.
  • chosenonestudioschosenonestudios Member Posts: 1,714
    Seriously though.... This update is pretty badass... While I would like url forwarding, iAds, and custom load screens... (In regular (not pro)) and I do feel like they are holding all the tools that you need to make money... Which cost money, unfortunately.... This really is a GREAT update! Thank You Gendai!

(Now all you need to do is get your pricing structure set...) Looking forward to the future!
  • Koda89Koda89 Member Posts: 275
    chosenonestudios said:
    Seriously though.... This update is pretty badass... While I would like url forwarding, iAds, and custom load screens... (In regular (not pro)) and I do feel like they are holding all the tools that you need to make money... Which cost money, unfortunately.... This really is a GREAT update! Thank You Gendai!

(Now all you need to do is get your pricing structure set...) Looking forward to the future!

Too bad the only major new feature I can use is the Retina Display....which is something I soooooo totally wanted. [/sarcasm]
    I'm off to bed now, but I'll leave you with a question:

A lot of people that would like iAds for the express version have said that they would buy the pro membership if they could make money from iAds. It's a reason (one of many, sure) that they'd like to see iAds in the express version.

So here's the question. If this is true, would you think it reasonable for Gendai to take the first $1900 of your accounts earnings from the app store?

If your arguement to Gendai is that you want iAds to get a pro membership, this would be reasonable, no?

An honest question. I look forward to the replies when I wake up in two and a half hours! :D

Cheers,

Definitely not the first "$1900", but I would be willing to share a small percentage monthly, up to $1900 max.

This makes your payment commensurate with your success.