Flappy Bird!

Comments

• dayofjackaldayofjackal Member Posts: 111
    They pay better @TouchMedia , I have games with minimal downloads per day that still make ok money off those networks. I see people here post about decent downloads but next to nothing in ad revenue and yet i have games with far less downloads doing ok. Obviously not made in gamesalad but as soon as the new version is out I have a few games ready to go. Just no point releasing until those ad networks are correctly integrated. I make games because its something I love, but also because it pays the mortgage.
  • TouchiMediaTouchiMedia Member Posts: 154
    Be nice to see the comparison charts on iAds vs rev mob / chart boost.. as I'm attempting to use iAds via different program but it's much easier to implement. So curious if extra effort worth it to get rev mob/charboost…

Anyways thanks for the input- revenue is very subjective ;) I've googled a few things and it seems that depending on the article, person.. it's different .. hehe , for now I'll stay with iAds (App is awaiting review) -- see how it works and go from there
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    I do that every day... wait I didn't see the k. :P
  • DuesDues Member Posts: 1,159
    Wow! $-)
  • VGXVGX Member Posts: 796
    Can someone please explain to me how ads work? I just don't see how he getting 50K a day on ads.

Do people have to click on the ads? Because the ads don't exactly look appealing and they also don't pop up on the screen making you click it by accident.

Or is it just having ads in the game, even though you don't click it can get you 50K?
  • AdamgoproAdamgopro Member Posts: 310
    @veiragames with 50 million downloads to date you can imagine how many people are clicking them constantly playing
  • VGXVGX Member Posts: 796
    I've only seen 3 types of ads on the game, clash of clans, google and some gambling type thing. NONE of these look appealing. I have seen better looking ads, unless it's kids clicking them not knowing what they clicking on.

I guess at the end of the day it all just comes down to luck.

Stuff like this puts me off, we can spend months on making a game, with good graphics and gameplay but something silly like tapping the screen and avoiding pipes gets a ton of downloads. I'm not just talking about money I'm talking about being reconised for being able to create a good game.
    Those money estimates seem way over - even Candy Crush - how is it possible for any game to make nearly 1 million a day.. that's absurd!
  • StoneclipseStoneclipse Member, PRO Posts: 130
    There are about 7 million players playing candy crush daily. If 15% of them are impatient and bought the iap for a buck, they could make that amount in a day.

But hell if my app could generate 50k in 5 years i would be happy....
  • StoneclipseStoneclipse Member, PRO Posts: 130
    And i believed that the 50k comes from all of his games combined, not just flappy bird. He has 2 other games on the chart.
  • motorcycle boymotorcycle boy Member Posts: 429
    edited February 2014
    I hate Flappy Bird! It's no different to Line Birds or whatever which have been around for years.

Don't believe the hype!
    Actually, this has happened many time before right? Before Temple Run was Canabalt. Before Angry Birds was Crush the Castle. Before Nirvana was The Pixies. So why does one do phenomenal and the other receives no attention? It's because one is presented in a better way than all the rest in a way that connects with people. Certainly Apple didn't invent the computer or the phone, but they did present it better than the competition, and therefore we all benefit today. I bet you there are tons of app games that are waiting for the right presentation. So I think this is just part of the whole app process. It all comes down to our own sensibilities and taste in what our games look like and how they feel. At least that's my opinion. So while Flappy Birds was not an original game as there was Line Birds before it and I'm sure others, it is the first game, of its kind, to be presented in a way that connects with people at this level.
    edited February 2014
    I've only seen 3 types of ads on the game, clash of clans, google and some gambling type thing. NONE of these look appealing. I have seen better looking ads, unless it's kids clicking them not knowing what they clicking on.

I guess at the end of the day it all just comes down to luck.

Stuff like this puts me off, we can spend months on making a game, with good graphics and gameplay but something silly like tapping the screen and avoiding pipes gets a ton of downloads. I'm not just talking about money I'm talking about being reconised for being able to create a good game.
    I think it all comes down to game design fundamentals. While it does matter how a game looks as far as its quality of graphics and theme, it must also have a rock solid foundation in gameplay/game design. I can't explain why it became a phenomenal hit but I do understand that one of the key ingredients is that it is challenging enough to keep gameplayers addicted. If it were too hard or too easy it wouldn't be so. That's one of the main things I take away from Flappy Bird's success that I know is going to help me with all of my games. The idea of the right amount of challenge. I think its success is nothing but positive for all of us. Focus on what you can learn from this game's success instead of being bitter about it. Maybe make some really simple games with with one challenging element which is all that this is. Just my thoughts.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I hate Flappy Bird! It's no different to Line Birds or whatever which have been around for years.

Don't believe the hype!
    Certainly Apple didn't invent the computer or the phone,
    Well I think to be technical they may not have invented the first ever computer but they did invent the the first practical home computer. ;)

Don't believe the hype!
    Certainly Apple didn't invent the computer or the phone,
    Well I think to be technical they may not have invented the first ever computer but they did invent the the first practical home computer. ;)
    Sure of course haha. I guess what I was implying is that though they did not invent, they do innovate and that seems to be a key to their success.
    Somethings up.. I think it may unfortunately have to do with boosting.. he says he just can't keep it, but earlier it seemed like he wanted to (just recently updated Feb. 7).

His comment makes no sense. He just can't keep it? Oh gosh so much money is pouring in I just can't handle it. Oh don't worry guys it's not a legal issue hahaha.....
    Looks like Apple is most likely cracking down on these types of practices which is great.
  • W.HodgesStudiosW.HodgesStudios GeorgiaMember Posts: 12

Talo, how did you get the app to save your all-time high score? I am making my own clone, and that is the one thing I can't figure out.
    --W.HodgesStudios

• bjandthekatzbjandthekatz Orlando, FlMember Posts: 1,375

@hodges.wt@gmail.com said:
    Talo, how did you get the app to save your all-time high score? I am making my own clone, and that is the one thing I can't figure out.
    --W.HodgesStudios

There are many threads on the forums for this.
    If score > highscore
    Change highscore to score
    Save highscore (and load it when game starts)

• W.HodgesStudiosW.HodgesStudios GeorgiaMember Posts: 12
    edited June 2014

@bjandthekatz What do I do for the "key" part of save attribute?

• tysonaylmertysonaylmer Member Posts: 1

I got High score from here : http://www.flappybirds.co.uk/

• shortcircuitgamesshortcircuitgames Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015

You guys should check out Jousty Jack, it's a super unique twist on the whole tap to fly game concept. It even has an end boss if you can get that far...i don't think anyone has.

Download free at
    [link removed and PM sent]

• itsallgoodgamesitsallgoodgames Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016

Hey guys, i made a game for people who really liked flappy bird but wanted to try something new.

Android Path: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id=com.iagg.hh

iPhone Path: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1090867517

It's a smooth jumping game with a unique jump mechanic, and there's lots of unlockable characters!

I'm certain you will enjoy it and get very frustrated!

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@itsallgoodgames said:
    Hey guys, I made a game for people who really liked flappy bird but wanted to try something new.

Cool. I'll check it out. It's a good way to start learning how to use GS.

I guess you are aware though, that within in weeks of the success of Flappy Bird there were hundreds of knock-offs and variations floating around?

Gees, I even made one! :D So, far it's only had about 240 downloads, but in trying a different theme, with better graphics and animation, and composing the music, I learnt heaps more about how to use GS?

Any project you complete and get accepted will teach you something worthwhile.