State of GameSalad on 12-3-2013

Comments

• mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    The "actor will not appear to change unless reverted to prototype" is really starting to bug me big time - has anybody reported this and if so had it been resolved recently? Did support say that it's done?

If not I will submit one, cheers, M@
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    @CodeWizard and @BlackCloakGS

I'd really just like to know where you are at with Revmob? Next Sat is likely the very latest deadline to submit an app with Revmob and have it reviewed in time for the holidays. That is if we are very lucky and the reviewers aren't backlogged 10 days and they are still reviewing in their standard ~7 days.

The times a tickin and we haven't even seen these in the Nightly's (or even a nightly released) as of yet. For something that is already done and built it sure is taking a long time to release this extremely vital monetisation option.
    see their posts in the latest nightly update. short version is there are critical bugs that need to be fixed before releasing anything.
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    @jonmulcahy Ah I see. So I take that as we are not likely to see anything anytime soon.
  • supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454
    @codewizard IAP for all platforms and Stretch-to-Fit should be the TWO main priorities or at the VERY least on the road map in my opinion.

1). IAPs are essentially the number one way to monetize apps and can make or break the flow of a good game. Why wait on this especially considering how rapidly the Android market is growing? It should be for all platforms or at least the two major ones to begin with (iOS and Android)

2) GameSalad becomes that much more of useful of a tool if we are able to reach all markets. Making it difficult to create a game for all platforms is a HUGE handicap for developers that must be fixed.

These two features combined not only make it easier for developers to potentially make a living doing what they love, but also would give developers a greater incentive to upgrade to GameSalad Pro. All we ask is for some responses to these questions/concerns, just my two cents. I do know hard work takes time, however.
    Iap might be successful for mobile apps, but inn my opinion they are looked poorly upon in any desktop application. Everyone hates them.
    We have iap for iOS and kindle. It would be great to get it for android proper as well, but I have found the kinde store to be much better than google play. Whenever I post something to google play it's just stolen anyways. It would be nice to get iap for nook, but I don't know how many of us actually target that store, might not be enough to justify the work.

The biggest problem I see with iap is every single store had their own idea of how to implement it. It's was pain in the ass for me to code to support amazon along side of iOS. I don't even want to know the changes tizen will take.
  • supafly129supafly129 Member Posts: 454
    Iap might be successful for mobile apps, but inn my opinion they are looked poorly upon in any desktop application. Everyone hates them.
    We have iap for iOS and kindle. It would be great to get it for android proper as well, but I have found the kinde store to be much better than google play. Whenever I post something to google play it's just stolen anyways. It would be nice to get iap for nook, but I don't know how many of us actually target that store, might not be enough to justify the work.

The biggest problem I see with iap is every single store had their own idea of how to implement it. It's was pain in the ass for me to code to support amazon along side of iOS. I don't even want to know the changes tizen will take.
    @jonmulcahy That does make sense. I'm just wondering how we might create a game on both iOS and Android without having noticeably different features.

For example, if we were to create Angry Birds, would we make the iOS version Free to download with many optional IAP's, and then for Android just charge $0.99-$1.99 upfront to download but instead make these Android IAP's completely Free and unlimited? Do most successful mobile games have different in-game features across devices like this?
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    @jonmulcahy Ive had the most success on nook out of all the stores. though I'm fearful with the news about the nook being discontinued the nook store is likely also going away :(
    @jonmulcahy Ive had the most success on nook out of all the stores. though I'm fearful with the news about the nook being discontinued the nook store is likely also going away :(
    last i heard they were going to keep making them after they announced they were stopping, so it might live on!
  • tylerglessnertylerglessner Member Posts: 246
    @basseman no ones forcing you to use Gamesalad
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    Why does it take so loooong time for updates ? The other game creation softwares out there have an update at least once a week with tons of new stuff and Gs is mostly correcting their bugs in their updates. We NEED new features asap…
    Cheers !
    Well, for one, GameSalad is a drag and drop engine. No coding required. Built upon LUA. When they make changes or add new features, they have to code it just like all other engines. However, unlike other engines, they have to then take that code and make it into new behaviors for us users. It's quite a daunting task I'm sure. Plus, to top it off, they're redoing a lot of the old code that was messed up. It's not like they're not working - they're working on things behind the scenes so that we, the users, are able to use the engine to its full extent. I'm all for new features, but I also know it takes time -- and I'm okay with that.

#rantover
    people really underestimate how much time and effort it takes to undo bad practice.
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    edited December 2013
    Ahh. I love my job! :D

I'm pressuring the engineers like crazy to get the latest code out to you. There are continuing issues though that are stopping release. Let me remind you that:

1. We did a major rework of the code over the past few months.

2. We don't want to release a nightly build to you if it's obviously crashing or breaking.

The latest issue we're having has to do with our code signing for iOS apps. That's causing our builds to fail on the build server. Top men are on the job. @BlackCloakGS and I are out of town talking to a UI design firm about some Creator-related work. But we're on chat and are working with the team to get these issues worked out.

#1 above is a cause for rejoicing, folks. We've done a lot of code cleanup and are getting some pretty badass features implemented on top of that cleaned up code (sprite sheets, batching and custom fonts). I am pushing on the engineers to fix these bugs and get the nightly builds running again.

Please remain patient as we work through the issues.
    Stencyl and Construct 2 are both paid however.

a lot of people here don't really comprehend just how much 'tech debt' they had to fix before they can move forward. Things have been cobbled together over the past 4 years, hacks on top of hacks to get features working. It was a tremendous undertaking to fix all the bad code / bad decisions made over the years. We all knew this was going to be a foundation building phase, not a growth phase. Once the foundation is good and strong I firmly believe that the application will grow strong and fast.
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    @codewizard no need for any apologies (was it?) most of us understand the Herculean task you've under taken while the few who want want want, now now now, have no clue what it takes.
  • HoneyTribeStudiosHoneyTribeStudios Member Posts: 1,792
    edited December 2013
    That's good news to hear about the talks with the UI design company. If you hire them they should post here so peeps can list all the problems the'd like to be solved. I.e The working methods you'd like to have available with an ideal creator.

With all this talk of tech debt, you do realise we're all expecting the gs engine to go from being an affordable family car to a ferrari in the coming months ;)
    @basseman being a little over dramatic there, Princess. All I'm saying is that if you're complaining about how Gamesalad needs more features like Stencyl or whatever other editor, invest your money into those instead of complaining. No ones forcing to use GS
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Ok gents keep it civil or don't post at all.

Both of you got your name calling in now let's drop it.
    @basseman if you want to get technical, I've been here since early 2012, just under a different account. And you're a real big man calling someone names behind a computer screen.
    @basseman 21, actually, thanks for asking!
    edited December 2013
    @tylerglessner

Although I don't agree with the explosiveness of @Basseman argument and I most certainly see how much of an undertaking reworking 4 years of bad practices is, I do partially agree with him. (I don't think blowing up at these newer guys trying to fix the crap they were presented is right, but I definitely think those in charge (ie CEO) should be kicked in the nuts for their incompetence and leadership or lack there of.)

You see the problem with your "No one forcing you to use GS" argument that you and so many others use is pretty piss poor. If you are someone that has devoted 1+ years to GS, learning how to utilize it, spending money on it, and having built 10+ games with it; switching to another program is easier said than done. If you haven't been here that long and don't really have any attachments above. Yea walking away is a lot easier, but when walking away costs you a LOT more money, time, and effort, it makes it a lot harder to do. He is pointing out how other programs keep steam rolling while GS keeps chasing its tail. He is correct after all and someone that has devoted lots of time and money in GS has every right to be pissed. No one is forcing us to use GS, you are right, but it is like having both your hands and feet tied and someone saying you are free to go.

I, however, have faith in these new members. Otherwise, even though it would have cost me lots of time and money, would have left a few months back. Here is to hoping they can turn it around, otherwise I sure as hell will.

On a side note. Why couldn't they release the ad networks on the prior working version of GS. I get that it wouldn't have been all that clean in comparison to what they are working on (and I'm happy they are), but atleast a desperately needed feature could be utilized while we wait. Lets be honest, fixing a giant broken engine is going to require lots more testing and fixes even where they are now. This likely means going into sometime in Jan or maybe later. I would have preferred to just have the ads to tide me over on the "unclean" working version of GS instead of waiting 2 extra months with no solid ad provider. That really irks me. Especially when (for the 100th time saying this) I warned them repeatedly that Mobclix was going to fail based on their track record back then, but pride (or money) clogged their ears. Thus the predicament we are in now.
    @FallacyStudios, they have an entire new codebase from what I gather and the new ad networks have been coded using that, i have a feeling it's just not compatible with the old code.
    @jonmulcahy I don't know, it not being compatible would surprise me. If their code base is entirely new that would mean everything from tables to iAd to Gamecenter to Amazon iap/gamecenter would have to be redone in some way shape or form. For example, they just released the Amazon iAP and game center. Since it is on a previous version of GS, by that assumption it would have been built on the old code. This would mean they would have to rework it.

My assumption is that they have their code and they are pulling out chunks to re-work, debug, and repair. Or to put it another way, they still have the house, but are repairing the foundation. I bet the ad network (since it has been done for a month now) is built and would function the same on the "old code" as it would on the new. I can't say for certain as I'm not working on it, but it would surprise me if that wasn't the case.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    custom fonts
    This would be incredibly useful. It'll seriously speed up development time, cut-down app size and just make everything look shinier! :D

Will it work across all publishable SKUs?

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

custom fonts
    This would be incredibly useful. It'll seriously speed up development time, cut-down app size and just make everything look shinier! :D

QS =D

I can't wait for custom fonts. I have a game where I have 260 different images that be reduced down to 10.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    custom fonts

QS =D

I can't wait for custom fonts. I have a game where I have 260 different images that be reduced down to 10.
    Exactly!

:D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    edited December 2013
    Several other engines are drag and drop.
    Stencyl, Construct 2 and more and they have frequent updates and are very few in their staff..
    a lot of people here don't really comprehend just how much 'tech debt' they had to fix before they can move forward.
    What Stencyl has done in the last 18 months is impressive. If you look at how they're changing their software, you can see they tackled major issues head on. I even posted in the Stencyl forums mentioning the issue of sticking with NME instead of switching to OpenFL...
    So what happens to Stencyl if NME loses support?
    Eventually, they pushed through and NME was dropped in favor of OpenFL. Later in that thread you can see how Stencyl 3.0 appears to be close to a launch.
    We are getting pretty close and should be able to put out a release later next month if no other surprises come about.
    Stencyl was able to battle through their legacy software issues. When I compare GameSalad to that, it's disappointing. The software development just doesn't move as fast. It's frustrating, but that's not my primary issue with GameSalad. The real problem is how I feel as if my GameSalad projects are being leveraged...

• Metrics Gathering
    • Third Party asynchronous multiplayer instead of Apple's Game Center
    • Limited advertising options (Although, I've moved beyond worrying about AdMob.)
    • I can't customize my apps
    • I can't publish HTML5 offline

When I read these weekly reports, I've been looking to see if GameSalad really gets it. Are they really moving forward with development... and are they really working in the best interest of developers?

Like a good mechanic, I don't have to have just one toolbox. I feel it's good for developers to have more choices. For beginners, I think GameSalad is great. But with the issues I stated above, it makes the software difficult to recommend.
    Ahh. I love my job! :D
    That's good! In general, I like what you've been doing around here.

You recommended patience, so that's what I'm trying to do. But unfortunately, I can't wait indefinitely for Metrics Gathering to be removed. Also, GameSalad's decision to go with a third-party instead of Apple for Asymmetric multiplayer is disappointing.
  • blue_elephantblue_elephant Member Posts: 505
    Sorry to interrupt the thread but I saw codewizard was on here.
    @CodeWizard I sent you a PM about not receiving my month of Pro when I submitted an app to amazon on Nov 25.
    I know you're busy so it doesn't need to be fixed this instant, I just want to make sure I get it sometime so I can finish my newest app.
    Thanks

★ My Apps | Gamesalad Tutorials : Youtube Channel , Website. ★

• CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    The fuzzy dice and the vibrating back massager for the drivers seat is more important than replacing the cracked windshield, putting the passenger side window back in its track. The flashlight duct taped to the front of the car is nice and all. its a great "workaround". But maybe instead of the new woofer system for the dvd player/built in 500g mp3 player. You might want to put in a head light.