State of GameSalad on 12-3-2013

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
Remember to keep an eye on the roadmap page for the latest details on what we're up to in the kitchen! http://www.gamesalad.com/roadmap

I'm posting a day early due to some personal time off tomorrow and Thursday!

This week's report is a bit light due to the team being off two days last week. In any case, we've made some further progress on stuff. The public-facing bug database is getting closer. We've also fixed a few more nasty bugs in the nightly build branch -- rumor has it we may be able to release a stable nightly build to you any day now. We've made some pretty cool fixes to Windows Creator to help with project saving stability. Those are being delivered to QA for testing. We also fixed up some timing issues with the animate behavior.

That's the short version. Enjoy the roadmap updates!

Comments

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    Getting my fingers crossed for android wrong spawn point bug fix.
  • GraphicWarehouseGraphicWarehouse Member Posts: 927
    will there be revmob in this nightly build?
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    will there be revmob in this nightly build?
    The roadmap says it'll be in version 11

• mounted88mounted88 Member Posts: 1,113
    There's no such thing as personal time in the gaming world :P
  • mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    UI Framework
    We're looking to add proper custom font support and basic UI widgets to Creator and the engine. This will help you make new interfaces more rapidly and with less work.
    @CodeWizard fantastic news that this on the roadmap now!

Enjoy your time off :)

Cheers, M@
  • tylerglessnertylerglessner Member Posts: 246
    Excuse my non-knowing-ness, but are gif or video support in the pipeline at all? Thanks
  • zweg25zweg25 Member Posts: 738
    NIce! You deserve a good day off! Any news on what the async multiplayer behaviors are?
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271
    edited December 2013
    Async Multiplayer

UPDATE: This code is good to go in our nightly builds. Once we push out the next one then we'll get some documentation out to you on this.
    Ooohhh! So does this mean that multiplayer will be supported in the next Nightly, or the one after that?

Good times! Keep it up, GS!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    edited December 2013
    @codewizard i know @blackcloakGS is in charge of the stretch to fit feature. but why is it still not even on the roadmap. blackcloak said its one of his priorities so why is it not on the roadmap?
  • tylerglessnertylerglessner Member Posts: 246
    Async Multiplayer

UPDATE: This code is good to go in our nightly builds. Once we push out the next one then we'll get some documentation out to you on this.
    Ooohhh! So does this mean that multiplayer will be supported in the next Nightly, or the one after that?

Pretty sure they said somewhere last week that it'll be in the next nightly
  • Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326
    Hello GS Team,

I just want to take the time to express a concern, nightly builds are taking weeks, and its becoming a big deal when they get released, they seem to becoming the new Stable releases, which are now becoming a yearly thing if ever. As good as the nightly builds are, they are still a beta version of a beta software. I just hope to see work done to create a stable release with loops ect. Another week comes and goes so keep up the great work like always.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Just remember everyone. There were some serious serious issues with how gs was run in the past. Those sorts of decisions take a loooong time to fix (ensuring that existing projects don't break)

Just because we havnt seen too many new front line features does not mean work isn't getting done. It's like renovating a house and discovering lead pipes. You have to spend substantial time and money removing the lead pipes and redoing everything, and at the end of the project and the walls are back up it looks like nothing was done.
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    Hello GS Team,

I just want to take the time to express a concern, nightly builds are taking weeks, and its becoming a big deal when they get released, they seem to becoming the new Stable releases, which are now becoming a yearly thing if ever. As good as the nightly builds are, they are still a beta version of a beta software. I just hope to see work done to create a stable release with loops ect. Another week comes and goes so keep up the great work like always.
    This is what I was trying to say in the 0.145 thread, I think the nightly was just a way to get more pro users by making free user and stable user wait even longer for updates and the nightly build process is no different then the old ways of Gamesalad and now nightlys are full of bugs and no game circle and stable has game circle and the same bugs.
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    Hello GS Team,

I just want to take the time to express a concern, nightly builds are taking weeks, and its becoming a big deal when they get released, they seem to becoming the new Stable releases
    The more you use them the more you realise that they really aren't all that stable.

It's been over a month since the last "nightly" build so fingers crossed the next one will wow us!

• blorschblorsch Member Posts: 248
    Async Multiplayer

Pretty sure they said somewhere last week that it'll be in the next nightly
    Can't wait!!!!
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    edited December 2013
    UPDATE: We're done with the HTML5 optimizations for the foreseeable future now that Tizen is released."

What does this mean exactly. What improvements or optimizations have been made since HTML 5 has been advertised as a feature on the GameSalads site? What new changes have been made to the HTML 5 feature? Can we make full screen games? Can we make .exe or .dmg file type games? is there a screen size option feature? What changes have been made? And what does Tizen have to do with a halt in HTML 5 optimization? The sky is not the limit with HTML 5 in regards to Gamesalads use of it.

SO im just curious as to what the purpose of this comment is for.

From what Ive seen HTML 5 is a feature that was a advertising HYPE. Just another ICON to make the diversity of what gamesalad can do, look larger.

IF im just totally off base here. I would like someone to show me some "HTML 5" success stories.
  • blue_elephantblue_elephant Member Posts: 505
    edited December 2013
    @CodeWizard. I don't know if this is the right place to put this but anyway, I submitted my second app to the amazon app store on Nov 25. I still haven't received my free month of pro. I got the free month on my first app fine but not with this one. Is it normal to take this long or is something wrong?

★ My Apps | Gamesalad Tutorials : Youtube Channel , Website. ★

• SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603
    @CodeWizard. I don't know if this is the right place to put this but anyway, I submitted my second app to the amazon app store on Nov 25. I still haven't received my free month of pro. I got the free month on my first app fine but not with this one. Is it normal to take this long or is something wrong?
    Probably better to just PM him @blue_elephant, or post in the "Amazon and GS Team Up" thread. :)
    - Thomas
  • ChirpinGamesChirpinGames Member, PRO Posts: 214
    @codewizard a question for you about revmob and chartboost. Will you guys be adding their sdks? Just wondering if we'll be able to advertise our apps in future using their pay per install campaigns which require sdk integration?
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    UPDATE: We're done with the HTML5 optimizations for the foreseeable future now that Tizen is released."

What does this mean exactly. What improvements or optimizations have been made since HTML 5 has been advertised as a feature on the GameSalads site?
    This is a good question.

@CodeWizard, what has Tizen done to improve HTML5 publishing?

• Custom Project sizes?
    • Proper exporting features?
    • Can HTML5 projects be edited/customized after GameSalad Publishing?
  • SnapFireStudiosSnapFireStudios Member Posts: 1,603

What does this mean exactly. What improvements or optimizations have been made since HTML 5 has been advertised as a feature on the GameSalads site?
    This is a good question.

@CodeWizard, what has Tizen done to improve HTML5 publishing?

• Custom Project sizes?
    • Proper exporting features?
    • Can HTML5 projects be edited/customized after GameSalad Publishing?
    In other words, we all know that the optimizations just mean some sort of better framerate or reduced bugs, but not improved functionality. We're really just asking for these features ;)
    - Thomas
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    @codewizard. Any chance you folks could setup the pro expiration email to come like a couple weeks before it expires? It kind sucks to get it after your account expires.
  • EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    @CodeWizard have you guys any plans to add IAP for mac platform? I have two client projects and they require this feature, it would be nice to be able to let my clients know if it's going to be possible soon
    The API's for each platform are different for IAP so it's not as easy as "do IAP"

The more pertinent question is why the heck is Mac IAP not available? Surely apple didn't make it substantially different that iOS???
  • EireStudiosEireStudios Member Posts: 451
    Ya I have to agree with you guys, I can't understand why it isn't even on the roadmap, it's little thing like this that really annoy me lately, don't get me wrong the new staff are doing an outstanding job, but I feel our monetisation options are extremely poor right now!
  • brickamatorbrickamator Member Posts: 316
    It would take them one day, just like th buzz feature.
    @brickamator I'm not entirely sure that accurate. I'm not a coder so who knows but I'm sure if something as desired as IAP for every platform could be achieved in a days work we would have it.
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    edited December 2013
    @CodeWizard and @BlackCloakGS

I'd really just like to know where you are at with Revmob? Next Sat is likely the very latest deadline to submit an app with Revmob and have it reviewed in time for the holidays. That is if we are very lucky and the reviewers aren't backlogged 10 days and they are still reviewing in their standard ~7 days.

The times a tickin and we haven't even seen these in the Nightly's (or even a nightly released) as of yet. For something that is already done and built it sure is taking a long time to release this extremely vital monetisation option.
  • brickamatorbrickamator Member Posts: 316
    @brickamator I'm not entirely sure that accurate. I'm not a coder so who knows but I'm sure if something as desired as IAP for every platform could be achieved in a days work we would have it.
    Not for every platform, but for mac. They could use the same system they have just change whatever is different fo mac.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    @EireStudios it's always something that i ponder...why launch a feature for one platform only (We only recently got it for Amazon)
    It would have made a hell of a lot of sense to put IAP in ALL platforms we have at once...
    Or Game Center even (for Mac).

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io