State of GameSalad on 11-13-2013

Comments

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    yes, sorry i forget to speak to that. Thanks for the reminder. CodeWizard is talking to the developers of these products let you know more when we have more information to share.
  • floydianspiralfloydianspiral Member, PRO Posts: 308
    @CodeWizard is one of those bug fixings going toward making display text behavior display multiple lines on retina display? Currently it will only display one line of text but anymore it doesn't work at all, but multiple lines works on non-retina iOS devices. *fingers crossed*
  • darrelfdarrelf Member Posts: 243
    Sounds awesome @BlackCloakGS - cheers!
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    @BlackCloakGS

Thanks for taking the time to reply. So just curious. With Revmob and Chartboost in the nightlies, will Pro members be able to publish with Revmob active?

Honestly I would be pleased if it was released in a nightly in the next couple weeks even if it was the only thing added for that nightly. Atleast that way it is the only thing in there so it is less likely excess bugs slipped in. Here is hoping that nightly is released with Revmob with no bugs attached. Would be nice to release my game with Revmob attached and working even if it is just a nightly.
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    @BlackCloakGS

Thanks for taking the time to reply. So just curious. With Revmob and Chartboost in the nightlies, will Pro members be able to publish with Revmob active?
    yes that is the plan
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited November 2013
    I stand by what I said. Things are getting done but as we all know most of it was on the back end. They just finished this work a weeks ago or so. @codewizard has been here for what, six months? Give the guy a damn break! You wanna blame someone blame Steve he's the CEO. Codewizard is turning this thing around in only six months. It's not his fault Steve has screwed things up for years. You wanna make waves try writing Steve or better yet write to the board members of GS a simple search you can get their names. You really wanna stir the pot write the main investor Steam boat Ventures. That's how you get things done go to the top, top not ranting on a forum. Myself, I am very pleased with code wizard and the team and understand the plan he is working on. I'll save you some trouble here is the link to the board of directors listing...

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/people.asp?privcapId=109403189

Oh and when you write to powerful people sign it with your real full name. No hiding behind an avatar.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited November 2013
    Screw the whiners.
    [they] wanna blame someone.
    [they] wanna make waves.
    [they] really wanna stir the pot.
    [they're] ranting on a forum.
    [they're] hiding behind an avatar.
    . . . etc

@FryingBaconStudios, chill out, people are voicing their opinions, and will continue to do so regardless of being lectured and admonished by 'veterans', you simply can't make people's frustrations go away by telling them off.
  • mounted88mounted88 Member Posts: 1,113
    Well this escalated fast. Where's the off topic button when you need it :P
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    I am currently finishing up work on COPPA compliance (which is a business need (we are a business ) ) so I have not had time to get any more nightly builds with fixes two you.
    What does that mean exactly though? I didn't see COPPA listed on the roadmap. Is it for GameSalad account creation, or is it something for the apps that are created?

"Business need" is interesting, because I'm surprised to see "Metrics Gathering Opt-out" way on the bottom. Other businesses (GameSalad customers and potential GameSalad customers) may have a need not to send their player data to third parties. It doesn't seem like a hard fix either... just turn it off!

I understand the limited resources problem though. I think GameSalad is going in the right direction. So, I've been watching to see if you guys cross the threshold. Right now, the metrics gathering is the only showstopper for the secret project that I've been working on.
  • Do you guys now have the ability to let a user upload a photo and use it in a game?
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    Hey now. I though you guys are all getting along now. Be nice.
    You should know Mr. Bacon by now.
    You really need to direct your 'be nice' comment to FBS, he's the one posting the unnecessary name-calling, there really is no need to push the discussion in a personal direction, to start attacking the character of people you may not agree with - these conversations are much more worthwhile if we stick to the issues.

"@codewizard screw the whiners and complainers. Plan your work and work your plan! Stay the course you set. You know best and I trust you. I full know time will prove you right!"

Yeah you are right. That certainly is damning and just absolutely unacceptable. We should certainly tar and feather him and chase him out of town. Pitchforks, Rakes, Torches, Old ladies with moles and facial hair. Come on, let's go storm the castle! Nothing better to do.
    edited November 2013
    Yeah you are right. That certainly is damning and just absolutely unacceptable. We should certainly tar and feather him and chase him out of town. Pitchforks, Rakes, Torches, Old ladies with moles and facial hair. Come on, let's go storm the castle! Nothing better to do.
    @RP

Pointing out that there's no need for personal remarks is hardly chasing someone out of town with a pitch fork.
  • LiquidGameworksLiquidGameworks Anchorage, AKMember, Sous Chef Posts: 956
    Constructive criticism should not be suppressed, and we definitely shouldn't label folks with legitimate concerns as whiners...

That said, we've seen a significant change of development pace under Codewizard, and I think we can all appreciate that.

GameSalad appears to be moving in the right direction, so lets support this current crew by praising them on their accomplishments, and offering suggestions for the software's shortcomings.

Lets keep the conversation civil. Both FBS and Socks contribute to this GS forum community, and the bickering gets in the way of the excellent support you both provide to this community.
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    Constructive criticism should not be suppressed, and we definitely shouldn't label folks with legitimate concerns as whiners...

That said, we've seen a significant change of development pace under Codewizard, and I think we can all appreciate that.

GameSalad appears to be moving in the right direction, so lets support this current crew by praising them on their accomplishments, and offering suggestions for the software's shortcomings.

Lets keep the conversation civil. Both FBS and Socks contribute to this GS forum community, and the bickering gets in the way of the excellent support you both provide to this community.
    I can agree with that.
    edited November 2013
    Lets keep the conversation civil.
    @LiquidGameworks

;)
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    edited November 2013
    For a bug a reporting thread, can we have a thread moderated only by a member who'll post all bugs. The members can PM the bug to the moderator. The moderator will then reserve the right to post/not post the potential issues.
    I believe such an arrangement can be beneficial to all.

Anyone in agreement to such an arrangement?
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    It has seemed to me many of the comments posted recently were pretty hostile and derogatory toward the GS team. Just remember that the GS team are people too not just some corporate entity. Basically my message to codewizard was don't let the current trend of disgruntled complains sway you for your plan.
  • TheSkinTheSkin Member Posts: 74
    @AlvinF
    Would love to do that. Not sure it'll be releasable by then though. We're backed up on testing some other stuff first. I'll post more info as it gets closer.
    Emmm.... new ADV is high priority task...
    edited November 2013
    It has seemed to me many of the comments posted recently were pretty hostile and derogatory toward the GS team. Just remember that the GS team are people too not just some corporate entity. . . . .
    I'd say the most derogatory comment towards GS in this thread would be this: ". . . Steve has screwed things up for years" Just remember that Steve is a person too and not just some corporate entity.

:))
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Yesh there are some hostilities in here today.
    "Keep calm, and Chive on."
  • dingosmoovdingosmoov Member Posts: 130
    You wanna blame someone blame Steve he's the CEO. Codewizard is turning this thing around in only six months. It's not his fault Steve has screwed things up for years. You wanna make waves try writing Steve or better yet write to the board members of GS a simple search you can get their names. You really wanna stir the pot write the main investor Steam boat Ventures. That's how you get things done go to the top, top not ranting on a forum.
    Actually, the ONLY way to truly get their attention is to not renew your pro subscription and use another tool. None of the complaints here actually make a difference because GS team seems strapped with no resources, competing against other tools that have everything that gets complained about.

It's sad to say because GS team seems pretty cool and the tool even in it's current state is pretty cool. But for me the the writing is on the wall. When the dev team finally realizes that management will not get them more resources, they will see the writing on the wall too and exit. Then it's game over.

I've seen this type of thing play out before. I've worked for 4 different start-ups, only one of them where my stock options actually were worth something after getting bought by a public company. Again sad to see it happening, but all the symptoms can be seen in these State of GameSalad threads.

• imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    edited November 2013
    Yesh there are some hostilities in here today.
    "Keep calm, and Chive on."
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    @Socks
    Some progress was made on that front actually. We've setup a Redmine server that gives us better control over how we manage bug access and summaries. We currently use Jira and are finding it to be less cooperative with what we want to do.

We're now figuring out how best to get our existing bug database imported into Redmine.

I missed this info in this week's post because I was behind in my email and didn't know the latest status. :)
    @solnika
    Man that'd be nice to fix. It's actually pretty messy based on how we build your game projects. It's on my list to make sure it happens at some point though. Wish it was better news!
    @Photics
    That's exactly what it means. We're making changes to the version of GameSalad deployed to schools so that metrics gathering is disabled. Yes, that also means that we'll have the ability to disable this for Pros optionally sooner. We still have some stuff to figure out on that front. But we're making progress on it.
  • DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaMember Posts: 838
    @CodeWizard hats off to your and your team. I would have surely thrown my hands up by now and walked away shaking my head. :)
    @DeadlySeriousMedia
    Nah, I'm not disturbed by the calls for more progress. Nor do I take any of the comments or criticisms personally. I'm just grinding away making the progress we can make. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    You keep right along TurtleWizard. Show that rabbit whos boss :D
  • mounted88mounted88 Member Posts: 1,113
    @DeadlySeriousMedia
    Nah, I'm not disturbed by the calls for more progress. Nor do I take any of the comments or criticisms personally. I'm just grinding away making the progress we can make. Slow and steady wins the race!
    Exceptional job since you been here.
    \m/