State of GameSalad on 11-13-2013

CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
edited November 2013 in GameSalad Kitchen
Remember to keep an eye on the roadmap page for the latest details on what we're up to in the kitchen! http://www.gamesalad.com/roadmap

Pretty slow week this week folks. We're heads down fixing bugs, doing some Marketplace work and testing nightly build candidates. Not to mention putting the finishing touches on Tizen and doing some education fixes for COPPA compliance. I updated the roadmap with the latest details.

Comments

• ChirpinGamesChirpinGames Member, PRO Posts: 214
    Hey @CodeWizard, with Tizen will we be able to publish it ourselves or do we have to go through this appbakr service. I'm just thinking about the Tizen dev competition which has some fairly nice prizes and is still open for entry, but I assume if we have to go via appbakr we wont be able to apply for the competition.
  • RainbrosRainbros Member Posts: 124
    @CodeWizard - Fixing bugs is good! While you're at it, do you think someone (preferably you) could take a look at the code for interpolations and figure out why it is that actors that are interpolating their size don't properly detect overlaps/collisions? I know that a bunch of people have asked about this in the past but it has never been fixed. This is a HUGE problem for me right now...in fact, it is completely preventing me from finishing my game...
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    You don't have to use appbakr to publish to Tizen when it's available. :)
    @Trunks
    I'll get it on my list.
  • AlvinFAlvinF Member Posts: 69
    Can RevMob and Chartboost release to pro user before december ? Cause i want add to my app before the x'mas holiday.
    @AlvinF
    Would love to do that. Not sure it'll be releasable by then though. We're backed up on testing some other stuff first. I'll post more info as it gets closer.
  • mataruamatarua Auckland, New ZealandMember Posts: 854
    @codewizard have you seen the self.attribute bug I posted? Will that get fixed in the next release - it's a major...
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited November 2013
    @CodeWizard

Nov 7th 2013
    After some spirited discussions on the forums we've decided to give more priority to creating a public-facing bug database. It's been something we've wanted to do for awhile but have let fall through the cracks. Expect some additional information on this in next week's post.
    No surprises :) zero mention of the "public-facing bug database" (list-of-known-bugs to those not invested in corporate jargon / management speak), I know you've said getting together a list of known bugs is not easy, but would it be ok if GS users simply started a thread (perhaps an updated and organized list) listing known bugs, it would be a whole lot faster than waiting for months and months just to end up in the same place (basically ignored) ?

Would it be ok if I started a thread where users could list known bugs ?
  • solnikasolnika Member Posts: 132
    Hey @CodeWizard , Can we please have your insights regarding this issue:
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/61510/unnecessary-permissions-on-android-are-killing-sales-still#latest

As a game developer can you honestly say that you would be ok with getting a 1star bad reviews to a creation that you gave your heart and soul for it, and because of something that you don't have control over?

With a hand on your heart, don't you think it's important enough to be address ASAP (8 months ago)?

Thanks
    Regards
    Alex

P.S
    Sorry for my bad English, It's not my first Language.
  • colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610
    @CodeWizard something else you should consider when you institute the bug list is a list of improvements and features users can list and vote on. I have seen this elsewhere and it will let you know what is most desirable to your users.

Software I use for my business has a system where we can post our future feature ideas/requests and then vote for them and other peoples. We get 20 votes per year and we can use up to 5 votes on any item. They use this system in conjunction with their bug list to prioritise all their work and it keeps the users reasonably happy.
    edited November 2013
    @CodeWizard something else you should consider when you institute the bug list is a list of improvements and features users can list and vote on. I have seen this elsewhere and it will let you know what is most desirable to your users.
    If you want to vote on which improvements or features you'd like to see then here's the official GameSalad features thread for you (coming up for 7 months old now, so probably forgotten about, but it's worth a shot).

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/56981/are-these-fixes-tweaks-what-you-d-want/p1
  • colandercolander Member Posts: 1,610
    I hadn't seen that. Be nice to have a proper system where we can post and vote on each others suggestions. Make it searchable and give us the ability change the order, most votes to least or visa versa, alphabetical, etc.
  • CircleBoxStudiosCircleBoxStudios Member Posts: 22
    @CodeWizard

I would think getting Revmob and Chartboost should be something rolled through with or without other additions. Yes fixing bugs and having a few more additions are nice, but lets be honest. We won't really be able to implement any games using them this season by the time they are released.

You guys should really keep in mind Apple goes on a 2 week holiday starting the Fri or Sat before Christmas. To be in sync with what can actually be utilized now for this season is those 2 ad networks. We obviously can't use Mobclix because we will never get paid.

I think it is worth considering pushing Revmob and Chartboost as a focus in testing right now along with any other highly pertinent items. Release them in a smaller patch and the rest for 11.0 just keep working on it until you have all the kinks out.

Like I mentioned before. The holidays are HUGE on downloads and sales. With Apple on holiday it isn't like we can submit anything else anyways. At the very least, if you provide us with the ad networks in time to submit updates to Apple many of us could do well this season. If not it is a huge loss for many. If we are losing out on money you guys could potentially be as well. Especially if Revmob will provide revenue to you guys from free users.

Lastly, this is how important it is to have Revmob in before a holiday. I integrated into 1 application I have before the 4th of July. Made over $160 in 1 day for 1 app ad wise. Now its not like that is amazing. Certainly not top app status, but that averages about 10x what I normally do in a given day from those same ads. Imagine the earnings people can be making on Christmas or New Years if that is the kind of revenue that can be made on a holiday like the forth. Difference is people get iPhones and other devices for Christmas.

I implore you guys consider getting these things that can be utilized now for the holiday season, rather than dragging it out and we waste earning through the season. Also, gives you more time to focus and improve what you are working now with a troll off your back.

P.S. If your higher ups don't like the idea of releasing the ad networks early you can tell them I said this. It was their piss poor idea to add Mobclix even though I had been saying they don't pay developers. I even called them going Bankrupt. Its not like there was a lack in all the evidence and articles of developers not getting paid, but they went with Mobclix anyways.
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    @Socks, the problem with an open forum post is that it gets really long and unreadable as people mention the same bugs, discuss bugs, and mention bugs that aren't even bugs, like "My character won't jump, wtf?!"

It needs to be a heavily moderated thread, maybe even locked where the user updates the initial post from bugs mentioned in other threads.
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    edited November 2013
    @CodeWizard, with regards to being transparent and open about all of the known bugs, and for some reason it not being an easy task, how about using something like Google Projects or another ready made package like that and release it blank for us to post bugs too, even ones we've previously sent to you guys? Don't worry about converting your current bug list to a public readable list right away if it seems too much like work. Start with a blank slate for us to write/post too. Obviously I'm not implying that you guys should delete all the bugs and start fresh :)

Google Projects is a bit messy but it seemed to work fine for one of your competitors! They had moderators and staff members on it replying to tickets and it's searchable so it should limit people opening the same tickets. You will of course get people that are too lazy to search but that's what the moderators are for.

There's no reason why you couldn't release something like this in like a day or two, until you get a better one up and running. Whether that be an in house developed system or an off the shelf package that requires a bit of time to customise it to your requirements.
  • Tiny_IdeasTiny_Ideas Member Posts: 326
    I am at the stage in my development where I am trying to get things developed as soon as possible because you never know when GS will get up and quit. And then three years goes down the drains. If you have an view that nothing is coming and just work with what you have, you will find you become more productive.
    As always, keep up the great work
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    @codewizard screw the whiners and complainers. Plan your work and work your plan! Stay the course you set. You know best and I trust you. I full know time will prove you right!
    @Socks, the problem with an open forum post is that it gets really long and unreadable as people mention the same bugs, discuss bugs, and mention bugs that aren't even bugs, like "My character won't jump, wtf?!"

It needs to be a heavily moderated thread, maybe even locked where the user updates the initial post from bugs mentioned in other threads.
    Yep, agreed, that's what I meant when I said an 'updated and organized list'.

@codewizard screw the whiners and complainers. Plan your work and work your plan! Stay the course you set. You know best and I trust you. I full know time will prove you right!
    'Screw the whiners'

Is there really any need for this kind of pointlessly aggressive stuff ? Can people not voice their concerns and frustrations without name calling ?
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited November 2013
    @FryingBaconStudios

A good portion of the "whiners" happen to be paid Pro subscription holders legitimately voicing their frustrations at GS for various reasons. So your suggesting/telling GS to screw its paying user base and to ignore them.... Good bit of advice.

What happens in another years time when they've stayed the course... And the software still hasn't improved much... And a good portion of the disenchanted pro subscribers have had enough and moved on... The dwindling staff is reduced to zero... And the administrators are called in.... Staying a pre-defined course isn't always the best direction.

Then again GS future in the hands of a new owner or as an open source SDK might just be a good thing....
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    edited November 2013
    @FryingBaconStudios

A good portion of the "whiners" happen to be paid Pro subscription holders legitimately voicing their frustrations at GS for various reasons. So your suggesting/telling GS to screw its paying user base and to ignore them.... Good bit of advice.

What happens in another years time when they've stayed the course... And the software still hasn't improved much... And a good portion of the disenchanted pro subscribers have had enough and moved on... The dwindling staff is reduced to zero... And the administrators are called in.... Staying a pre-defined course isn't always the best direction.

Then again GS future in the hands of a new owner or as an open source SDK might just be a good thing....
    What happens when people who work hard at giving us as much as they can within the limits they have while all the people scream for this and that and your not doing a good enough job blah blah. Then decide "why bother? They are never happy. Might as well find a job that appreciates the effort put in". Then we're back to square one.

What happens in a years time if they stay the course? You can speculate not much or you can speculate great things. Glass is half empty or half full - all depends on how you look at things but we won't know till we get there.

• FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    @CodeWizard @dgackey @BlackCloakGS

I'm sorry, but it is frustrating to see you guys constantly ignoring valid suggestions. The least you can do is respond to @CircleBoxStudios post. I get that you guys see a lot of complaints. Overall you are doing a good job and I'm sure you are tired of responding to complaints, but that wasn't a complaint and is an extremely valid suggestion.

Look, you guys (not you directly) decided Mobclix was the best choice even against me an others suggesting otherwise. SO correct your mistake. Mobclix is a flop so your top priority should be replacing it with Revmob and Chartboost. You announced adding these like what 3 months ago? Its been virtually done for half this time. Just push the damn thing through testing and get it out to us. What good does all the other additions including this retarded crap Tizen do for us? I get that you have to get it done, but you could release a small patch with these ad networks before the holidays. All the other stuff you are working on isn't going to do us any good this holiday season. THE AD NETWORKS WILL MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE FOR US THIS HOLIDAY SEASON. It is a simple concept. Why do you sweep it under the rug with no responses?????

Will you please take a moment out of your busy day to address if this is something you will consider, or if not, why it is do damn important to throw the ad networks on the back burners while you work on crap that is virtually useless until next year when Apple finally comes back from break??? Without these ad networks being added before the holidays YOU will be directly costing all of us money. Why in the world would I want to renew my subscription when you guys make me lose money due to lack of priorities when you could have reasonably prevented it.

Simply put, remedy the situation GS created.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    some education fixes for COPPA compliance. I updated the roadmap with the latest details.
    What do you mean exactly with COPPA compliance? Does that mean apps created with GameSalad will stop sending player data to third-parties?

The "Metrics Gathering Opt-out" is still a problem for my education related app.
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November 2013
    Hey now. I though you guys are all getting along now. Be nice.
    You should know Mr. Bacon by now.

If you have been following the back and forth between Mr. Bacon and Code Wizard (over time and not just this thread) you'd understand that there is merit to the comment he made which was directed at CodeWizard.
    edited November 2013
    Hey now. I though you guys are all getting along now. Be nice.
    You should know Mr. Bacon by now.
    You really need to direct your 'be nice' comment to FBS, he's the one posting the unnecessary name-calling, there really is no need to push the discussion in a personal direction, to start attacking the character of people you may not agree with - these conversations are much more worthwhile if we stick to the issues.
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    edited November 2013
    PS4 is better. :D
    not until you get that 308mb day one patch to fix the bugs,which will probably brick your system,lol.
  • BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    As to Revmob and Chartboost I am shooting for some time in the next 2 week to get it into the nightly builds. I am currently finishing up work on COPPA compliance (which is a business need (we are a business ) ) so I have not had time to get any more nightly builds with fixes two you. But fear not we are switching the nightly build to our main code base in the next build. Since all our developer are putting features and bug fixes into this branch fixes and features should get into your hands sooner then later. I am also working with our sys admin to find the best way to get a public facing bug data base into your hands no ETA on that yet but I would like to get it out sooner then later. As for creator fixes I have been reading all your post about the fact you want creator improvements. I am seeing if i can find any time in the next 2 weeks to get you some features even if they are small ones. As you can see I am doing a lot to try to get thing into your hands and unfortunately creator improvements have had to take a back seat. We are all working hard to create the best product we can for you with the resources we have.
    As for creator fixes I have been reading all your post about the fact you want creator improvements. I am seeing if i can find any time in the next 2 weeks to get you some features even if they are small ones.
    That sounds great ! :)>-