State of GameSalad on 11-6-2013

13»

Comments

• lycettebroslycettebros Member, PRO Posts: 1,598
    More Pro users does mean more resources for GS to employ more coders.
    I will do my bit. I will introduce GS to my students next year (class is over for this year).

That gives me an idea. Perhaps we cold collectively come up with clever ways to drum up new potential users of GS in an attempt to get more Pros users? Post on forums, Youtube??
  • darrelfdarrelf Member Posts: 243
    edited November 2013
    I'm doing my bit, I regularly tell people about GameSalad - at least one guy has definitely downloaded and is also looking at Pro...
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    Perhaps we cold collectively come up with clever ways to drum up new potential users of GS in an attempt to get more Pros users? Post on forums, Youtube??
    Seems too much like work!
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Ive personally been responsible for a hand full of pro accounts. When i have a client who wants Ads and such in their games, I make them buy pro because i do not want their ad revenues tied to my account.

Your welcome GameSalad.

Now can i please have stretch?
  • JSprojectJSproject Member Posts: 730
    @tenrdrmer aren't you stretching it a bit now ;)
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Well I really have made a handful of clients but their own pro account.

Just trying to leverage anything I can at this point. I could have easily done all their pro publishing under my account and short changed GameSalad but I didn't. Just sayin...
  • BBEnkBBEnk Member Posts: 1,764
    They don't just need new pro members they need the old ones to have a reason to renew.
  • neomanneoman Member, BASIC Posts: 826
    @CodeWizard thank you and the GS team for the hard work and the updates ... It gives us a clear picture of what is going on and it will be fantastic when we have visibility of the current bugs as well ...

I put my hand up for the stretch option too ... This feature is half complete and the games look great in the viewer if it can be completed it will make our life a lot easier in Android land ... A universal build for Android how good would that be ... Just saying Universal Android Build sounds great when it is a reality and we can publish apps with the stretch option it will be awesome ... ;-)
  • RPRP Member Posts: 1,990
    I have a feeling there is a mountain of tickets to get through...

I'm comfortable knowing the limitations of GameSalad. When you use a SDK (particularly a Beta SDK), you go into it knowing what you can and cannot do. Don't go into using a toolkit expecting "new features" to arrive (they may never happen), use it for what it offers NOW.
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    I have a feeling there is a mountain of tickets to get through...

I'm comfortable knowing the limitations of GameSalad. When you use a SDK (particularly a Beta SDK), you go into it knowing what you can and cannot do. Don't go into using a toolkit expecting "new features" to arrive (they may never happen), use it for what it offers NOW.
    Not often would an SDK remain in Beta for 4-5 years though.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    I think the point is…. it is what it is and there are other tools if one is that dis-satisfied. If one can't code or doesn't care to learn then you're stuck with this and no amount of bitching is gonna make GS's ledger look any better. It always comes down to money as no one works for free. My biggest worry is them surviving money wise. If that isn't on your radar then you're not paying attention.
  • CircleBoxStudiosCircleBoxStudios Member Posts: 22
    ^ Yup ^

Anyways any chance Revmob might be released before the end of Nov? Christmas time is the big season for app sales and downloads. Would definitely be nice to have it on the apps before Apple goes on their 2 week vacation.
  • TheSkinTheSkin Member Posts: 74
    Honestly I'm a little disappointed by GS.

Promises, promises, promises, delays, delays, delays.

When last year I renewed my pro subscription, I did it because they had been made some promises which new IDE, bug fixes, stability and new features (call url, parameterization, ...)... some have been included in the nightly build, but the most important, to make GS competitive with other products (i.e. a stable and fully functionally IDE), not there yet.

With the arrival of @CodeWizard the situation has greatly improved ... but the product is still incomplete and unstable (the IDE crashes very often) ... and the release of new features is very slow.

The main motivation? We only got 4 full time engineers. So ... when I provide to my clients a product, my client no matter how many resources I have made ... matter that the product works well and that the cost is proportional to the features offered.

As I wrote, few months ago, at @SaladStraightShooter, we do not need a toy ... we use GS to work and we need a stable tool with competitive features ... otherwise there are other products.

A few days ago I tried the free versions of competing products (ie Construct2, Stencyl) and I was surprised by the realization that they have a cost equal to or less than GS... but with featured 4 times higher than GS.

It is true that GS is easier to use, but the actual service is not commensurate with the cost (see also the feature of the competitor).

The question I ask myself is this: if GS continues to delay the implementation of important features (especially the IDE, scripting, a true multiplatform, the parameterization of the URL, sounds, ...) and always provides the same motivations (a few engineers, compatibility with new OS, ...) ... Why should I renew my subscription? Competitive products, at the same price, offer much more...

If at the end of my subscription (next June) the situation will be unchanged, I will not renew it and will choose another product (and my clients will do the same).

Can anyone convince me otherwise?

P.S: sorry for my bad english.
  • CaptFinnCaptFinn Member Posts: 1,828
    They call it 0.10.4 Which when I see that, I see 1.4.X.X

They have subscription fees
    They have free service
    They have multiple 3rd party companies that assist in helping customers provide more for their apps. Also make money via ads.

Im gonna stick with my Car analogy here.

Beta would mean people are driving this car around testing the Basic windows, Basic Radio, checking to make sure the safety bags work as they should, making the switches work, making sure the AC knob doesnt turn the heater on and vice versa. These are example of people helping Beta test the production of the car and help find flaws and give suggestions.

Once you start removing the default radio and adding in a dvd player and woofer system. Replacing the default windows and trying out new tints, Taking the factory tires off and adding cooper tire radials and mud flaps, checking to see if the fluffy dice is hanging to low, installing the led lights along the floor board. Taking the factory engine out and adding a holley 4 barrel carb. Art this point youre past " BETA"

"Hey the default basic car with factory setting and features works. Tadddaaa." Is what I hear when you advertise all the successful apps that have been created by GS and all the awards it has won. At this point you are no longer allowed to call yourself "Beta"

Now you are Game Salad Creator V 1.0 And you present yourself to the word as such. And say " Have fun ".

Now that you are established as a working product. Now you can step back and look at ways to improve your product. Hence the Version 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 "Today we give you 2.0 with this new awesome huge feature." Then there is 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 etc etc.

I Use adobe as a example. Adobe would be calling their latest release something like. 0.60.98.50.1. And any complaints or issues made on thier forums would recieve replys such as. We are working on 15 new features at the moment but please understand we are currently 0.60.98.50.1 and are still in BETA.

But go ahead and continue to use the "Beta" card. But at this point that trump card has lost its luster.

I just feel that GS started on the right path to creating a awesome product. And it is a great product. I wouldnt have renewed a subscription if I didnt like it or have faith in it. I just feel that alot of cart are being drawing before the horse. Priorities are out of line.

Im not mad, Im not venting, Im not writing this with the least bit of anger in my mind. Im simply scratching my head with a lil confusion.

• iamcarteziamcartez Houston, TexasMember Posts: 648
    We can all put $5 into a GS Creator Fix donation account so that they can hire a "temp" engineer that can fix the creator while the full timers continue their current tasks. :-c