Racing Game Problem

2»

Comments

• thegamer111thegamer111 Member Posts: 23
    This post is really handy, But will it work if the trees are on the road map? Is that coding on the second link have to be put in a table or something?

-I am only using GTR tracks to start me off, Then I will make my own as I should of said Earlier. I don't want to break copyright!
    Like I said I didn't actually read any of it, it just looked like it might of helped if one was trying to create a similar game.

And the coding is for another scripting language, not for GameSalad, but it might contain something you can salvage for your game.
    I didn't look read through it but scrolled through it. Now I have finished reading it and I don't think I can use that for my game. There is REAL code stuff which i like and is easy but I don't see no place to enter code on Gamesalad. I am just trying to find a behaviour which I can put the screenshots I have just taken. Do I have to create multiple scenes to make the background move or is there some sort of way to do that on a single scene?
    Sorry the first line makes no sense, I mean I didn't read through the site just scrolled through it and I saw gamesalad stuff and I thought it would help.
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    Not trying to put you off your initial game idea but have you considered something simpler to build? I know you said you like racing games, so maybe a top down one? I reckon a pretty decent top down racer in GameSalad is totally doable.

You'll be surprised at what people achieve in GameSalad, so good luck with it.
    Not trying to put you off your initial game idea but have you considered something simpler to build? I know you said you like racing games, so maybe a top down one? I reckon a pretty decent top down racer in GameSalad is totally doable.

You'll be surprised at what people achieve in GameSalad, so good luck with it.
    You know I did that for my last game, But since my teacher knows I am good at this stuff (Even though I suck at Gamesalad) He want's me to challenge myself to do this to achieve a high mark. So Good luck to me then.

-Do you think That I can play around with the behaviours and see If I can find a way around it? That's How I roll on Gamesalad. I think that I will just play around even more and see where that takes me.......If I can't find a solution then I will probably be back here for advice. Thanks a lot for the suggestions though.

-Thought: Do you think that I could have different scenes which zoom in when I accelerate and then once it gets to a certain point it will change to the next scene and zoom on that and so on? This is only a drag strip remember.
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    edited October 2013
    -Thought: Do you think that I could have different scenes which zoom in when I accelerate and then once it gets to a certain point it will change to the next scene and zoom on that and so on? This is only a drag strip remember.
    I wouldn't recommend this! Switching scenes in GameSalad is not an instant thing. It often takes a small delay to load the next scene, and you'll see a loading wheel on the screen as it does.

I wouldn't recommend this! Switching scenes in GameSalad is not an instant thing. It often takes a small delay to load the next scene, and you'll see a loading wheel on the screen as it does.

OK thanks. Just a thought. How about a video that I record and when I speed up the video fast forwards a bit and when I slow down it slows down, Reverse it rewinds and stationary it pauses?
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    OK thanks. Just a thought. How about a video that I record and when I speed up the video fast forwards a bit and when I slow down it slows down, Reverse it rewinds and stationary it pauses?
    Gamesalad doesn't support video playback, you could use the animation behaviour but you can't dynamically change the frame rate, alternatively you could work out a way to dynamically move back and forth through the frames with something like change attribute or change image, but the frame rate would be constantly changing, so for example when you slow down the frame rate would slow down too which will look pretty crap.
    This comment alone suggests you really do need to spend a day or two working your way through the Gamesalad Cookbook, it will give you a good idea of what is possible Gamesalad, what certain features are for and how they are used and so on.
    OK, Gone through the cookbook and has given me some tricks to try. One of them is to get a speedometer on the game with the attributes. With the background Do you thing I could use the behaviour Animate?, Getting LOTS of screenshots and then Giving them a certain FPS that increases as the car goes faster? Socks said something about 'Individual Frames', How is that done?
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited October 2013
    I wouldn't recommend using lots of full size images in GS let alone animating them.

If you look at the spare code thread Socks made a nice demo of a road with banking you might be able to edit that for your project.

If you decide on a top down you might want to check out a template we made a while back for DBA.

http://www.deepblueapps.com/gs-racerz-template/

Darren.
  • skottskott Member Posts: 172
    Hi, I think you should start with a simpler concept in GS. Making a race game is no easy peasy. Not even a top down racer. But it is absolutely possible to make a topdown racer in GS, 3D wouldn't go there.

This has taken my friend and I a year to make. Using our sparetime:

Else you could go this way:
    http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/61247/get-the-gshelper-mad-cab-template-free-for-the-next-48-hours#latest

Cheers
    edited October 2013
    OK, Gone through the cookbook and has given me some tricks to try. One of them is to get a speedometer on the game with the attributes. With the background Do you thing I could use the behaviour Animate?, Getting LOTS of screenshots and then Giving them a certain FPS that increases as the car goes faster? Socks said something about 'Individual Frames', How is that done?
    Individual frames (individual screenshots) would be loaded into the Animate behaviour to create a moving background, but as DeepBlueApps said full-size screenshots would be too much for GameSalad to playback in real time, you could try and limit the animated area to just the road at the bottom of the screen and/or try lower frame rates, but it'd still be a fairly clunky, inefficient way of achieving what you're after. If you're after a straight section of road (a drag strip) then you might just need a short loop to achieve the illusion of movement . . . ?
  • jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    @DeepBlueApps, that's a great looking template. Is there any reason that template would have to be 'restricted' to the small tracks like you show in the video or could they be extended to something more like the roads in the classic game Reckless Drivin'?
    I have a really bad problem my Game that I have made isn't opening anymore but crashing when i open it up. I haven't backed it up. help!!!!!
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    Uh oh. Another good lesson is to save frequently and to save multiple versions (not just a single file but many, many files e.g. racev1, racev2, racev3, etc.). I do this even after very minor changes. The current app I'm working on has over 100 separate version files. Sorry you're having problems.

Keep in mind that people who are already fairly advanced at using GameSalad are taking months (or years) to build the kind of game you're describing. It's great to have ambition but also good to be humble and realize that you may be trying to do something too difficult in a short amount of time. And I say that as someone who teaches GameSalad to students.

Still, good luck!

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

I have a really bad problem my Game that I have made isn't opening anymore but crashing when i open it up. I haven't backed it up. help!!!!!
    If you haven't backed anything up, and you've been working on the same file (instead of saving a copy every time you are happy with progress) - and it's corrupted then unfortunately there's not a lot you can do :( it's the same deal with any software (Photoshop, Logic Pro, AfterEffects, Flash, Final Cut . . . . ) if you like what you have produced then never work on the master copy, keep making incremental copies, that way even if the file screws up you can always go back one stage to the last copy.

Hopefully you can remember the basic process you went through to help you rebuild the project + it's always faster the second time around as you don't have to work out all the tricky stuff again.
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    @DeepBlueApps, that's a great looking template. Is there any reason that template would have to be 'restricted' to the small tracks like you show in the video or could they be extended to something more like the roads in the classic game Reckless Drivin'?
    You can have the scene as big as you want i just did a few small test tracks for the template.

Darren.
    Did some looking around through the error codes, It said something on the lines of erl44.xlf corrupt.... So I went into the game save directory and put that file into the trash but didn't delete it, I was able to use my game again..Luckily. Ok that done, I have some minor problems, 1 The Road I have made consists of 30 sections and when I have it on 30fps on animate (fastest i'm allowed), It simply isn't fast enough. Is there any way to make it go faster?. 2. When I leave the steering wheel in a certain spot, How can I make it so the car keeps on turning instead of the wheel being stuck at 45 degrees and the car isn't turning. 3. Everything else works great. I have a moving road, Background, Objects in scenery, Movable steering wheel, Engine start button, LED Gear change indicators (3 Green and 1 Red), LCD Performance display with speed, Current Gear, Fuel Remaining and Revs. It looks really cool but the road going really slow really concerns me because it just doesn't look right and spoils the game. Thanks for the help.
    I will learn from that in case it happens again I will make at least 3 copies on 2 USB's and Hard Drives. Since this is taking me a long time to do, I am only going to be doing a drag strip as time is tight and I simply don't have the time to do this all day as I need space for other subject study time. Though my game progress is ahead of schedule and looking really good, It comes at a whopping 105MB of space using high quality images. I hope when this game is done I will be able to upload it. For the time I have spent on it (About 35 hours in total) I think I'm flying on the project and hopefully I can get at least 6 different cars on the game that fully operate.