Racing Game Problem

thegamer111thegamer111 Member Posts: 23
Hi Everyone, I am new to here and I am having a huge problem trying to get this game to be good. I am making a Racing game which is 3D Looking but 2D, I don't know how to make the background image move around and I am trying to make it basically a map that the car can drive on. I have the car done with the steering wheel which moves with the car. I just don't know how to make the background map to move as the car drives along it. Please Help! I am finding it hard to load up a screen shot as so you can see what the game looks like so far. It is a Macbook Fullscreen Game.

Comments

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772
    I have a tutorial about camera controls and scrolling your screen, it's targeted toward a platform game, but should still be helpful I think. Check it out if you like:

http://www.jamie-cross.net/?portfolio=gamesalad-recipe-005-making-your-platform-game-level-scroll-camera-scrolling
  • thegamer111thegamer111 Member Posts: 23
    I mean like the screen is coming towards you like the map is zooming in but you are travelling on it. It won't really work if the screen moves to the right.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    edited October 2013
    @DeepBlueApps

An object approaching from a distance at a linear rate (ie: not accelerating or decelerating) would appear to grow exponentially - in 3D Fall the objects approaching appear to slow down as they get closer (I suspect because you are using a linear rate of growth) when in the real world they would appear to speed up as they approached (from the point of view of the observer), I posted a couple of examples of what I mean in this thread . . . .

http://forums.gamesalad.com/discussion/comment/423696/#Comment_423696

Also I think having the ground rotate at the same rate as the approaching platforms would help sell the illusion of movement (parallax doesn't effect rotation).
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited October 2013
    @Socks Nice demo.

The biggest problem is collision detection, when ever you constrain an actors size or interpolate its size they no longer register correctly. If i remember correctly the work around for this one was to spawn another actor when its size reached a certain point.

All good fun :)

Darren.

Do you mean like any of these?

http://www.deepblueapps.com/3d-runner-template/

http://www.deepblueapps.com/3d-fall-down-gs/

http://www.deepblueapps.com/jayleetemplates/

Darren.

Yes similar to the first one but It will be a race track which the scenery moves closer as you accelerate towards them. Do you think that that will be hard?
    Are you able to make the car turn on the map and then go in that direction and stay that way?

This is the sort of game I am making but with only one car and one map at the moment, Eventually I will make more.

This picture is the sort of game I want to make:

http://pic.leech.it/images/51e3b0018xwlka.jpg
  • KevinCrossKevinCross London, UKMember Posts: 1,894
    edited October 2013
    Outrun is one example of this type of game. It doesn't have a steering wheel on the screen though.

• UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    edited October 2013
    Was it Sparkyidr that made a demo of this?

Outrun is amazing i still remember the day i got it for my master system and spent days on it.

Darren.
    Outrun is one example of this type of game. It doesn't have a steering wheel on the screen though.

How is that done? What kind of images to i need to make the car run smoothly on the track. Firstly I will make a simple straight line drag strip and see how that runs and then I will go onto making a complete circuit. What kind of code sequence would I need to do to make the map move forward with the car. It will need to accelerate not in one speed but a to the car's actual performance (Acceleration, Braking and steering). I would like the car to pick up speed as the key is held down not just the car starts and stops at the same speed.
    @DeepBlueApps
    @Socks Nice demo.

The biggest problem is collision detection, when ever you constrain an actors size or interpolate its size they no longer register correctly. . . .
    I didn't think of that ! I suppose you could have a separate (non-interpolating) element that detect collisions (??).
    edited October 2013
    How is that done?
    @thegamer111

I think you would probably be best off working your way through the GameSalad CookBook first, this will give you a good idea of what's possible with GameSalad and what kinds of apps GameSalad is best suited to . . .

I don't think a racing game like Outrun is beyond GameSalad, but with GameSalad not being a 3D engine you'd need a lot of clever workarounds and tricks to pull it off - in addition to needing to make a few compromises.
    What kind of code sequence would I need to do to make the map move forward with the car.
    If making a 3D map/environment were a simple matter of someone replying with the relevant 'code sequence' I think we'd be inundated with GameSalad 3D racing games :) like I say GameSalad is not a 3D engine so getting this to work might be a lot of hard work.
    I think I will find a way for moving picture, But I will only need one start, What kind of image/s will I need to make it. I am only going to start off with a simple drag race for the first map to get me started. I have looked through all the behaviours and I don't know which one to use (I know you will probably need more than one). This is for a school assignment and though something this complicated isn't required of me, I really want a good mark for it and also for the enjoyment of making a game. I normally use unity to make games which I can make these sort of games really easily, This Task I am set i have been instructed to only use Gamesalad which I aren't very good at.
    So far I have done is the inside of the car (Steering wheel moves and all the buttons work) and I have custom made all the sound for the car and that all works well (Car moves back and forward as it change gear), It is just the moving scenery which is bugging me as a can't get around it.Once that part is done I will make the car so you can change the gears manually.
    What kind of image/s will I need to make it.
    GameSalad is happy with PNGs.
    What kind of image/s will I need to make it.
    GameSalad is happy with PNGs.
    Well what I really mean is do i need multiple images or just one for the task of a drag strip? And what behaviours would I need to use for this monstrous task ahead of me. As i said I don't use gamesalad but Unity so I'm clueless. I have some knowledge of Gamesalad As i made on game for my first task which was easy, Didn't need to look up any videos on how to do it which i was supposed to...
    Well what I really mean is do i need multiple images or just one for the task of a drag strip?
    That depends on what method you intend to use to generate the environment.
    And what behaviours would I need to use for this monstrous task ahead of me.
    That depends on what you need the behaviours to do, I know that sounds vague but it's all anyone can really say without knowing how your game will function.

Well what I really mean is do i need multiple images or just one for the task of a drag strip?
    That depends on what you need the behaviours to do, I know that sounds vague but it's all anyone can really say without knowing how your game will function.

Is there a template for outrun to see how gamesalad works and how to make the background move. All i need is for the drag strip to move forward as i accelerate and i gradually picks up speed (Inside car view), So far i need no collision with objects only boundaries and that's about it. I Will make a second car on the drag strip and so that can be something that you have to beat. Do I need multiple images for the background to move? I linked up an image earlier so you can see how the game sort of looks. Thanks.

Method? Do I need to have each feature put on individually?

edited October 2013
    Is there a template for outrun to see how gamesalad works and how to make the background move.
    Not as far as I'm aware.
    Do I need multiple images for the background to move?
    That depends on what method you intend to use to generate the environment, if you want to use individual frames (as an animation) then you'll need multiple images.
    I don't know what this means, what kind of 'features' are you talking about here ?
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    I think your creating yourself a mighty headache here...

From the reference you've shown, and the details your giving you obviously seem to want a driving game with a 3D visual style. Gamesalad is a 2D engine... So any kind of 3D is going to have to be faked... And linking and updating your faked 3D to gameplay is going to be a hefty task in any 2D environment. Surely the logical advice would be to use a 3D engine for your 3D game.... You'll achieve better 3D results..

You stated you use Unity... So why the heck aren't you trying to build the game using that, instead of trying to pull it off with an engine that isn't really built for the kind of game your wanting.

You seem to be approaching it a bit backwards. This is definately a case of not using the right tool for the job... Especially if you are already familiar with a 3D engine.
    I think your creating yourself a mighty headache here...

From the reference you've shown, and the details your giving you obviously seem to want a driving game with a 3D visual style. Gamesalad is a 2D engine... So any kind of 3D is going to have to be faked... And linking and updating your faked 3D to gameplay is going to be a hefty task in any 2D environment. Surely the logical advice would be to use a 3D engine for your 3D game.... You'll achieve better 3D results..

You stated you use Unity... So why the heck aren't you trying to build the game using that, instead of trying to pull it off with an engine that isn't really built for the kind of game your wanting.

You seem to be approaching it a bit backwards. This is definately a case of not using the right tool for the job... Especially if you are already familiar with a 3D engine.
    As I said this is a school assignment though I love unity and use it, I am ONLY allowed to use Gamesalad. I am only going to make a simple drag strip as before. This is how I am going to try and Make the Game: I am going to take heaps of Screenshots of 3D Looking 2D Images and put that as the drag strip. I am then going to put them as 'individual frames' (As Socks said earlier-What behaviour do I use to put the images as the frames?-As I said I aren't the best and need a head start before going crazy with it). Once that is done I will Make the car so it veers and slides as you fully accelerate and finally make the gears.

-With The Multiple Images, To test this I will use GTR EVO and take lots of screenshots of a long straight line, I will try and put them as 'Individual Frames'. By doing that is the game going to run smooth or is it going to micro-stutter as the frames change. After that works and I am happy, I will make my own map and take heaps of screenshots of that and try the same thing as before.

-Chunkypixels, I really love unity and I make racing games on it all the time and I have almost finished my next game, BUT I can't use it for this assignment as everyone has to use the same game software because my teacher said it would give me the advantage so I have to use Gamesalad, I am going to this extreme because I really like getting high marks for this kind of stuff because this is what I like to do.
    I am willing to spend as much time on this as possible to get it done, I have about 5 weeks left and I don't care if it is a headache for me, I like tech stuff heaps. I aren't going to get all you guys to make this game for me, All i need is a little head start and I will be on my way experimenting with the codes to see what works, That's the way I roll on Gamesalad not Unity.
    To be fair, Outrun was originally a 2D game!

I found this post on how to create an Outrun style game in HTML5 Canvas and Javascript. I know you can't script in GameSalad but you might find some of the formulas and suggestions on how certain 3D elements are faked. I haven't read it myself, and it does only cover straights in the tutorial but you could probably find other sites with more tutorials/guides.

http://codeincomplete.com/posts/2012/6/23/javascript_racer_v1_straight/

The above blog post links to another site with instructions on how to do other bits like turnings.

http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/#basics
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    edited October 2013
    My apologies... I seem to have skipped your post where you explained it was a school project, and that you have to use GameSalad for it...

Your trying to do something with the engine that it's not really built for... So hopefully that will be taken into account by your tutor. :)
    My apologies... I seem to have skipped your post where you explained it was a school project, and that you have to use GameSalad for it...

Your trying to do something with the engine that it's not really built for... So hopefully that will be taken into account by your tutor. :)
    It's Ok I thought you didn't see the previous post. My tutor knows that, I like doing stuff that the software isn't designed for.

-Now, Currently I am taking screenshots from a GTR race track (Anderstorp 07's flight straight) And I don't know how much space I need between each screen shot Help?
    To be fair, Outrun was originally a 2D game!

I found this post on how to create an Outrun style game in HTML5 Canvas and Javascript. I know you can't script in GameSalad but you might find some of the formulas and suggestions on how certain 3D elements are faked. I haven't read it myself, and it does only cover straights in the tutorial but you could probably find other sites with more tutorials/guides.

http://codeincomplete.com/posts/2012/6/23/javascript_racer_v1_straight/

The above blog post links to another site with instructions on how to do other bits like turnings.

http://www.extentofthejam.com/pseudo/#basics
    This post is really handy, But will it work if the trees are on the road map? Is that coding on the second link have to be put in a table or something?

-I am only using GTR tracks to start me off, Then I will make my own as I should of said Earlier. I don't want to break copyright!
    This post is really handy, But will it work if the trees are on the road map? Is that coding on the second link have to be put in a table or something?

-I am only using GTR tracks to start me off, Then I will make my own as I should of said Earlier. I don't want to break copyright!
    Like I said I didn't actually read any of it, it just looked like it might of helped if one was trying to create a similar game.

And the coding is for another scripting language, not for GameSalad, but it might contain something you can salvage for your game.