Publishing Change ? - Blank images are now showing up as black boxes

2»

Comments

• PortymanPortyman Member, PRO Posts: 409
    It was reported a while back
  • BazookaTimeBazookaTime Member Posts: 1,274
    @BazookaTime @luislopezcom

If the problem you're having is this:
    Basically all actors that use a fully transparent image appear completely black
    I would ask why you're using fully transparent images in the first place. Why not just use self.color.alpha=0 to hide an actor?
    Thats one question, the other question would be why hasn't this been fixed yet? From the posts above looks like they have had bug reports since August.

• GibberSaladGibberSalad Member, PRO Posts: 18
    What version of the Creator are you using? Thanks for the info!
  • adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,135
    Okay here is the lowdown:

- If you are using nightly, we had an issue with transparency and this blackbox problem. This is fixed. (We started running optipng on the images to help your games load faster. I had to tweak the options a bit to not corrupt the images for iOS).

- For stable, the source of the issue our pngcrush implementation. pngcrush is an optimization that formats a png for fast loading in iOS. For some png files, the image is interpreted in such a way that it generates a black file instead of a completely transparent png.

We're still looking for a fix. In most cases if you turn off resolution independence, it will work fine. (The R.I. checkbox tells us to generate half sized images for faster loading on non-retina devices. If you don't check it, the game will work fine on non-retina devices, they will just take longer to load the larger image they aren't using).
  • tatiangtatiang Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 11,949
    Thanks for the explanation, @adent42.

New to GameSalad? (FAQs)   |   Tutorials   |   Templates   |   Greenleaf Games   |   Educator & Certified GameSalad User

• quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I'm not sure if it's related, but I've been having an issue with a few games where the transparent elements are being 'filled in' while looking at the game in creator.

For example, a transparent box with a white border now just appears as a white square as the transparent bits aren't working.

I've managed to fix this by:

In your game, select the offending image in the graphics tab.

Double click it and it should open up automatically in preview (this is on a mac)

In preview, simply go to 'adjust size', don't change anything, and click ok.

Then save or close preview.

The image now works fine :D

It's a hassle, but it's fixable, if anyone's having the same problems!

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    I'm not sure if it's related, but I've been having an issue with a few games where the transparent elements are being 'filled in' while looking at the game in creator.

For example, a transparent box with a white border now just appears as a white square as the transparent bits aren't working.

I've managed to fix this by:

In your game, select the offending image in the graphics tab.

Double click it and it should open up automatically in preview (this is on a mac)

In preview, simply go to 'adjust size', don't change anything, and click ok.

Then save or close preview.

The image now works fine :D

It's a hassle, but it's fixable, if anyone's having the same problems!

QS =D

I found some of my images were index and not RGB that had that problem. RGB fixem up.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

I found some of my images were index and not RGB that had that problem. RGB fixem up.
    Naughty, NAUGHTY images!

Naughty!

QS =D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• luislopezcomluislopezcom Member, PRO Posts: 14
    will try unchecking Resolution Independence by now. Please notify when there´s a solution for this
    thanks
  • luislopezcomluislopezcom Member, PRO Posts: 14
    unchecking Res. independence solved the issue for me. Also looks better on non-retina devices