State of GameSalad on 4-24-2013

Comments

• ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    edited April 2013
    I worked with the information that was available at the time... as anyone in their right mind does.
    @SaladStraightShooter
    Yep, I agree with working with the info available at the time. But hey, don't take it personally; I was just unhappy with the way the change in plans was publicly handled (as in not specifically addressing the change before an inquiry), not at you for quoting that.
    Your grudge is obsolete.
    By grudge, it isn't a grudge at you. Like I mentioned above, I was disappointed that the change was so poorly communicated. Don't take it personally :)

So, politely... "Drop it."
    Yep, I was inclined to stop since CodeWizard's most recent post in this thread.

Chakku
  • ElfizmElfizm Member Posts: 489
    edited April 2013
    The are going fine now and in a few more months they will be offering what the new engine would

• WbokoWboko Tennessee, USAMember, PRO Posts: 621
    BABABAaahhhaaa... I think it is to funny that people are still upset about if the GS Engine is LUA or not in the first place since we have nothing to do with the code anyway.
    :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))

LUA is a good language to write... if you write real code that is....

All I know is GS rocks in the fact you can drag an drop the conditions, timers and other ingredients into bowl and add some cool graphics and ideas and out pops a game is really awesome!!!

So my point is unless you are writing the code yourself who really cares what engine we use just keep adding the great features we all love and can't wait to see!!!

And on a another note... If you are not paying for "PRO" or do not have positive input, please just sit down and enjoy the free ride because you have nothing to complain about.
    :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-

Thank you both @SaladStraightShooter and @CodeWizard because you guys are doing a great job!!!

And also everyone else that adds "POSITIVE INPUT" to the GS forums to make GS a better product!!!

Thanks,

Wboko
  • MSEagle2MSEagle2 Member, PRO Posts: 98

This. LUA is fantastic. I have dabbled in a few LUA based SDK's and no complaints. It really doesn't matter if the engine ever becomes LUA free. What really matters is that it becomes more efficient processing LUA as well as taking "GS code" (aka what we make) and turning it into LUA. At the end of the day gamesalad is essentially an LUA compiler - which is great. The GS team just needs to optimize the compiler ;)

Just be happy we have gamesalad. I just wrapped up a 10 hour xcode coding session for a class project where I had to make an app. That same app would have taken me about 25-30 minutes to make in GS and would have appeared identical to the end user. Then again we could all go pull a Chris Sawyer and code games in assembler lol...Oh dear god when I think about that....

Then again we could all go pull a Chris Sawyer and code games in assembler lol...Oh dear god when I think about that....

WOW, you are awesome and that is to funny!!!

Love it!!!
  • kaanukikaanuki Member Posts: 154
    edited April 2013
    The most amazing and helpful advice I received was regarding the "chump timers" and "chump" animation techniques. OMG was this an amazing recommendation! Having the ability to perfectly sync and time your sounds with the anims really makes GS rock!

Anyway...

I was wondering if improvements to the animation and timers was in the works?
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188

That's what you get for writing your genetic code in Lua, I did mine in BASIC and have a compulsion to repeat my name a set amount of times.
    Easily done!

10 Print "Sheepy eats grass"
    20 Goto 10
    Run

:D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    @kaanuki
    Yes! :D
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    Easily done!

10 Print "Sheepy eats grass"
    20 Goto 10
    Run

:D
    @quantumsheep

That's not a set amount of times, please have the correct answer on my desk by Monday A.M.

:-B
  • CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey Head Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 1,803

@quantumsheep

That's not a set amount of times, please have the correct answer on my desk by Monday A.M.

Sorry. It is quantumsheep. Time is irrelevant to him.
  • PortymanPortyman Member, PRO Posts: 409
    Can we set up a new forum for the people who want to bitch..... I'm tired of all the exciting news being hijacked by whining brats.

I love the new updates and the direction Gamesalad is going..
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934

@quantumsheep

Sorry. It is quantumsheep. Time is irrelevant to him.
    Time is just one of the many things irrelevant to our resident Sheep :D
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    edited April 2013
    Just 2 more days for a new update.. Woot Woot.

You do know what you have done, right? We now expect it every Wednesday =)
  • CodeWizardCodeWizard Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 1,143
    You do know what you have done, right? We now expect it every Wednesday =)
    Good! :D
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    edited April 2013

You do know what you have done, right? We now expect it every Saturday
    =)
    Haha that sounds like a pitch a married man makes ;)
  • denydeny Member Posts: 63
    Android in-app please don't forget
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    @codewizard do you some sort of meditate.. cos i guess you'll be in need of it handling the forums. :)) :)) :)) :)) This post would have been better if there were healthy and constructive discussions.

Please guys GS is not your daddy or Santa for that reason. Given a game project, you'd take a month (or six in my case :P ) to complete it.. and you expect an engine to be rewritten overnight.
    Come on.. these guys are doing their jobs out there, atleast let them DO IT.
    I want a goose, i want an aeroplane, i want angelina, i want.. , i want.. , i want..... :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@ :-@

Put your heads down and focus on creating a GOOD decent game.
    If a game is good, i'd wait 5 minutes for it to load. And if it has a slow FPS, i'd go out there and buy a better device, just to play that f***in piece of work that'll help me kill time and make myself feel a bit useful.

Stop yapping. This is a software, not your hamburger outlet.
    Lets be progressive and keep this place healthy and clean.
    edited April 2013
    Stop yapping. This is a software, not your hamburger outlet. Lets be progressive and keep this place healthy and clean.
    HAHAHA.... Well Put!!!!
    It's more of a salad bar than hambuger joint. I'm just tired of people sneezing into it.

• CluvCluv Member Posts: 229
    I find it funny that people are griping about people griping. Oh my gawd, this is sooo meta...

*flip my hair and look confused... except realize I have no hair so I just look confused.
    I find it funny that people are griping about people griping. Oh my gawd, this is sooo meta...

*flip my hair and look confused... except realize I have no hair so I just look confused.

I appreciate the irony..,
    edited April 2013
    It's more of a salad bar than hambuger joint. I'm just tired of people sneezing into it.

And I appreciate your wit.

Actually, I just really appreciate you and your contribution. I think the feeling is mutual. Ahh... I feel so much better with this positive affirmation. If this were Facebook I think we'd make good Facebook friends. I would send you a message on your birthday... things like that.

Oh. Sorry, GS forums. I am very excited for the new hotfix.
    edited April 2013
    We should collaborate on a mediocre game, then blame gameslad when apple doesn't make it game of the year and claim it was because of the slow loading times and lack of android monetization. 8-}
    We should collaborate on a mediocre game, then blame gameslad when apple doesn't make it game of the year and claim it was because of the slow loading times and lack of android monetization. 8-}
    We could do that - or we can just go straight to the whining.

All joking aside, I have been working on implementing a neural network in GS for a game prototype and so far it is working better than when I used MatLab for a project doing something similar years ago. If it works I will have been able to do all of this on a decent work schedule with everything necessary to make the game work. There are a lot of great people on the forums coming up with their own workarounds as GS continues to improve and with @codewizard doing his part, I have been very excited about the improvements coming our way. :)
    I have been here for over 3 years back when GS was still in Beta......uh I mean early beta.... Back in the old days you would have to restart GS ever 15 minutes.... It has gotten better with every update.
    Wow. Yeah, I joined just as arrays were added; super-powerful update. I think that the tool is powerful, but it does have a learning curve, like anything really. The forums kind of remind me of reddit, where a lot of reposts show up because people are constantly joining. That isn't inherently a bad thing and God knows I have been guilty of it myself, but people are constantly working through what you and others have already worked through a long time ago.

All I can say is as impatient as I am, I am happy with what is going on with GS. Hotfixes and nightly builds are a great direction.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    I have been here for over 3 years back when GS was still in Beta......uh I mean early beta.... Back in the old days you would have to restart GS ever 15 minutes.... It has gotten better with every update.
    i remember restart every 5 min :) at one point I was restarting after every time I went into an actor. I was hitting ctrl-s every type I typed or added a rule. it was fun times :)
  • ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    edited April 2013

i remember restart every 5 min :) at one point I was restarting after every time I went into an actor. I was hitting ctrl-s every type I typed or added a rule. it was fun times :)
    @jonmulcahy
    :)) I still unconsciously do that, since loosing work a few times.

Chakku

I still am in the habit of saving every few minutes. Large games have over 500 saved files. I learned some hard lessons back then.