Updated Roadmap

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Game Salad Team,
    Here at Elf on the Shelf we are new to Game Salad, in the last 90 days we have been able to go from no apps to almost 10 apps in the iOS store over Half a Million Downloads. I am very please with what game salad has given us with such a small investment.... but at this point we must evaluate our road map in the digital space after this holiday season.... I am extremely interested in the native engine and to see its capabilities... I would love to stay on this platform for our future games but currently the existing feature set does not meet the requirements we have for the next updates from our games. Corona seems to have a lot of the features we need... but I would hate to start over.... but will do if we have to... would love to test new platform... before making my decision on platform for the New Year...
    R
    Roger Lopez
    Digital Strategy
    Elf on the Shelf
    this is awesome, my daughter loves finding the elf every morning.

what capabilities were you looking to use that GS doesn't support? I find that outside of some device functionality most things can be worked around/with.

• Socks... We do have a Pro License...
    Some of the features we need are Facebook sharing features.. we have over a quarter million fans on facebook and would love to leverage that... since we have a lot of children activities such as make a cookie for santa claus... most children would like to print their activities and save them. We held back 3 games due to this feature... since we had this activity already built in the past on flash... the other main feature is camera access... since our brand has exploded due to parents posting pictures of their elves...
  • elf_on_the_shelfelf_on_the_shelf PRO Posts: 9
    edited December 2012
    @SaladStraightShooter can you ad the pro badge to my account please
  • lukejnrlukejnr Member, PRO Posts: 63
    Is there any update to the roadmap? What can we expect to be delivered before the start of 2013?
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    @SaladStraightShooter
    Any word on the android/windows store In App Purchases option?! it's quite a big show stopper for many projects /:

Roy.
    edited December 2012

@P-O-M- a showstopper for monetization, yes, but it's not a showstopper in breaking your builds. I'll see what I can learn about a rough time frame.
    Well it's not breaking the build, but if a game has an "in game market" , it's impossible to submit It without stripping the market off from the build.
    Thanks for checking though, looking forward for your reply.

Roy.
  • JDuaneJJDuaneJ San Francisco Member Posts: 300
    @SaladStraightShooter so with this native code engine, would this enable us to implement some custom code? Analytics perhaps???
  • wpatenwpaten Member, PRO Posts: 281
    @SaladStraightShooter
    Any word on the android/windows store In App Purchases option?! it's quite a big show stopper for many projects /:

Roy.
    Oddly enough my partner and I were just discussing this exact thing this morning. With Apple gently forcing everyone to create apps that utilize In App Purchases for the full version vs. separate apps for Lite and Full versions, we are trying to figure out the best way to go, so I am very interested in this as well.

• We had to do the same.. strip all of our games from in-app purchase in order to push out to android...
    @P-O-M - ooh, yeah - that's a good point. Hopefully I'll have more information soon.
    Hey @SaladStraightShooter , dont mean to bother you too much , just wondering if you have any info about my question ?

Thanks in advanced.
    Roy.
    Several monetization components - including IAP for Android - are currently in dev. Unfortunately I don't have any clearer information than that, but we're hoping to see those soon after the holidays into January.
    Any idea when we might have the breakdown for whats coming in the next release? I found that extremely helpful last time. Thanks.

• Is there any plan for integrating youtube , vimeo videos in gamesalad apps?
    I could not see it in the roadmap, and understand it is not possible (as a link or raw media)
  • NovicaStudioNovicaStudio Member Posts: 174
    It's great to see that joints and polygon collision may be coming in the near future!
  • PixelMetalPixelMetal Member Posts: 283
    Several monetization components - including IAP for Android - are currently in dev. Unfortunately I don't have any clearer information than that, but we're hoping to see those soon after the holidays into January.
    It's January. Any news on this?

• FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    Yea I've been wondering as well. Any news on a time frame for native code and ads for Android? Been waiting ages for those suckers. At the very least are some of the Sous already testing the native code engine yet?
    We're aiming for a major release (No, not the native code engine) toward the end of the month with a long-awaited feature. Check the "What's cooking" thread for details.
    I am very excited for the Universal Binaries myself, but this brings up a question. Since the Native Code Engine has been a work in progress for most of last year, will all of the updates that have been incorporated into the current engine be available and fully functional straight of the box when the new engine is released? Things like Aspect Independence, and of course the new Universal Binaries, Android In-Apps, etc.
  • RUPASRUPAS Member Posts: 823
    @Pixelmetal - and this is an example of why I'm careful about throwing out dates. ;) To be fair, I did say, "...into January"... not January 3rd. :D

Monetization for Android is still in progress. Playhaven for Android is in QA test with some kinks being worked out.

We're aiming for a major release (No, not the native code engine) toward the end of the month with a long-awaited feature. Check the "What's cooking" thread for details.

@SaladStraightShooter Although we know nothing of the new engine? For over a year waiting and there is still no release date?? Please can we know approximately when it will be available? February, March, April, May, 2014? An approximate date to help us plan the company projects???
  • ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703
    edited January 2013
    @RUPAS
    I agree with you, we all know its a very hard task for gamesalad and they probebly bumb on bug after bug. But please give us a some hints for what and when to expect some features and updates. I have 4 games waiting and they need that engine, i already made the rules as minimal as possible and tried to make it work with every optimalization guide but, its still to slow.
    I just hope that the gamesalad forum can be a little bit more clear about whats happening under the hood.

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    edited January 2013
    I know we all want that new engine, but I think GS shouldn't give "hints" on when it'll be available. Whenever they've done that before, and it doesn't get released on that date, people get hot and end up destroying that thread. And getting in their face about them not releasing it on a certain minute doesn't help them at all. Don't get me wrong, I want that new engine too, but I don't want them to release it with a billion bugs either. I'd much rather have them go over their deadline than give us a bad product. Plus, we've seen that they are making progress, it's not like they've forgotten about us. :)

Just my two cents.
  • creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    @Braydon_SFX +1 totally agree with you. But they haven't launch any updated video since long time.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Why do they need to? They dont show any videos on anything else feature wise. The fact that they are using it on their own released games now shows that they are at a decent stage with it! I'm guessing the hardest bit is making it as backwards compatible as they can e.g. working with all existing coding in the same way. The last thing they want is a community backlash where everyone complains that their current and previous games dont work as expected. It'll be ready when its ready :)
  • ApprowApprow Member Posts: 703
    I totally understand what you all say and i agree 100%. But give at least some more sneak peaks like videos and stuff to the pro community. Its a bit to quiet about the engine, its like they dont want to share the progres.
  • FallacyStudiosFallacyStudios Member Posts: 970
    I get not giving a specific date, but they could atleast give us an idea. Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, or next year release. That is general enough where people won't get mad because it is within a 3 month span, they should have a faint idea as to what 3 month grouping they can release it by, and this does help those of us with games on hold for it. This is most certainly the feature I've been waiting the longest for. I'm sure many would agree and a hint atleast toward which quarter it will be available would be nice.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Every time they give a 'rough idea', if its not met there is an uproar! People ruin it for themselves i'm afraid!
    edited January 2013
    Every time they give a 'rough idea', if its not met there is an uproar! People ruin it for themselves i'm afraid!
    Or, uh, they're throwing out dates to shut people up? Not being realistic with their own development schedule, which points to internal issues? Blaming the people that paid for the product, and expect that product to be supported, makes as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    I'm with PixelMetal on this one, it seems bizzare for a professional product to leave its professional users in the darkness over the future of its development because it doesn't like the idea that some people might complain on a forum if it doesn't meet the deadlines it set itself.

It's like a kind of collective punishment, some people complain - perhaps unreasonably - and as a response absolutely everyone is cut off from detailed information (or even just information) on the platform they have decided to base their development path on.

Paraphrasing PixelMetal: a delivery schedule is laid out, GS fails to meet it, or even come close, some customers complain . . . . . the response ? Blame the customer and punish them by withdrawing information for everyone.

• ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    punish them by withdrawing information for everyone.

@Socks

I think Pro members are more disappointed in the removal of Kiip because they "haven't had enough developers utilize this feature in order to justify ongoing maintenance", rather than just the lack of information/updates.
    edited January 2013

@Socks

I think Pro members are more disappointed in the removal of Kiip because they "haven't had enough developers utilize this feature in order to justify ongoing maintenance", rather than just the lack of information/updates.
    If GS stops feeling the need to put themselves into a middleman position, then things like Kiip going away are going to have less "maintenance" to justify.

• ChakkuChakku Member Posts: 1,513
    edited January 2013
    @Chakku - Kiip had limited adoption, and was a poor performer. How does that equate to lack of information/updates?
    @SaladStraightShooter

Oh, please don't get me wrong.

When Socks said that people were mad that they weren't getting, what they felt as frequent enough updates; I wanted to correct Socks by saying that people are just angry that Kiip was removed rather than just not getting updated or something trivial like that.

Now that Kiip doesen't need to be maintained, then GameSalad will have more time/manpower to focus more on new features/getting features out sooner.

I don't believe in getting angry over not enough updates; in other words, updates don't need to be given when/if there aren't any to give.

My post was only telling Socks that Kiip removal is what angered Pro users, as he joined in November, AFTER the removal of Kiip.

I never meant that the removal of Kiip meant not enough updates.

Hope you understand what I meant,
    Chakku :)
  • SocksSocks London, UK.Member Posts: 12,822
    My post was only telling Socks that Kiip removal is what angered Pro users, as he joined in November, AFTER the removal of Kiip.
    I've followed the forums for around 3 years now, my comments about people's frustrations over a lack of communication from GameSalad (perceived or otherwise) is based on people's frustrations over a lack of communication from GameSalad - rather than the removal of Kiip.
This discussion has been closed.