•• TOTGB 5 • Game Design Contest, Win GS Pro account, t-shirts, iTunes vouchers, shiny things & more

StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
edited July 2012 in Conferences and Events
Think Outside The Game Box 5

A game design competition where 'original thinking' is key to winning.

These 'Think Outside the Box' contests have always been growing with bigger prize donations (including Pro GS Account) from fellow GameSalad users, better website support and always more finished GameSalad entries.

Originally setup by me via the GameSalad forum and my www.stormystudio.com website, it has become very popular with over 40 contestants taking place for TOTB4 and around 30 finishing.

This time we will be upping the challenge and opening it up for other Game Engines to take part. Though I'd imagine the majority to be GameSalad entries. It will be run via my new indie developer network site www.totgb.com (Think Outside The Game Box.com) as well as on the GameSalad forum.

The Competition is going to start at 9pm GMT on Sunday the 5th of August 2012.

Rules:
The usual rules will apply, no teams allowed, all art work must be your own, all the game must be your own original work, (this time you won't have to produce your own audio). Final entries must consist of a YouTube video showcasing the game design and idea. You can also email me GameSalad arcade entries which will be collated into a page for all to play online (this is not essential). Final video entries must be posted to an official final page which is yet to be made on http://www.totgb.com by the end time and date. If your entry is late I'm afraid your out. (Please pay attention to what time 9pm GMT is in your area, and post it online early if your unsure)

The Theme for the contest will be announced at the start of the contest. Previous themes have been along the lines of 'The moon', 'The Arctic', 'Ocean' and 'End of the world'.

It will finish at 9pm on Thursday 23rd of August 2012. So it will last for 18 days.

I will post links to final rules, etc as we near the competition starting date.

A CALL FOR PRIZES
It would be great if any fellow developers would like to offer up some prizes. Whether that's a few quality templates, vouchers, an iTunes voucher, a cooked salmon, personalised mug, something shiny and tech, iPad, iPod touch, a professional written review, promo video, hard cash...etc etc..

Please post any questions, prize offers or just to share your excitement and that your hoping to take part.

I'll be creating some official contest pages over at http://www.totgb.com over the following week.

Cheers

Jon aka stormy

jon@stormystudio.com
http://www.totgb.com

Comments

• StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    For those interested here's a link to the previous contest.
    http://stormystudio.com/totb4.html
  • Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,273
    Woot! This is going to be fun!
  • iTouchGameriTouchGamer Member Posts: 681
    edited July 2012
    @stormystudio

When you say all artwork must be your own, you mean we can't hire an artist for the competition?
  • DeadlySeriousMediaDeadlySeriousMedia ArizonaMember Posts: 838
    So excited!
    @iTouchGamer, sorry but no you cannot hire an artist for the competition. It needs to be your own. Most of the points are awarded for gameplay design and idea originality with only a small portion going to audio and graphics. So with the perfect idea and gamesalad work you can get a highscore with simple graphics. I hope you'll still take part.

The idea of the contest is to encourage discussion on game development and original ideas, so if it pushes contestants to improve , discuss and learn about good graphic creation that will be an added bonus.

You can download the scoring system for review here:
    http://www.stormystudio.com/TOTB Judging Ruberic.xls
  • shebhntshebhnt Member Posts: 74
    edited July 2012
    It will be my first time, and I will have vacation/work in the middle of it, but I'm going for it. Also, @tshirtbooth just made the decision much easier!

@stormystudio Can you use previous artwork or can you use artwork that you have already made but never used in a game?
  • NovicaStudioNovicaStudio Member Posts: 174
    I will donate a

$15 iTunes Gift Card.
    I might throw in a 3 Month XBox Live Gold Membership, although I am not sure how many have an XBox.
  • EatingMyHatEatingMyHat Member Posts: 1,246
    I'll throw in a pack of my 3 templates (In-game Shop, Bomb Away! and Slot Machine).
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 554
    @stormystudio this is so cool.. thats d reason i love this community.. There are strugglers, promotors, opportunities, disappointments and winners, above all who are always there to give back to the community.

Nice effort. Lukin forward to it.
    Great stuff... thanks for those prizes guys really appreciate the donations.

I'm also pleased to announce GameSalad will be offering up a pro membership for the contest....

I'll put together a prize page detailing all the prizes soon.

Keep them coming though... :-)
    The rules and prizes pages are now up and running at www.totgb.com

Roll over the 'Game Design Contest' tab to see the buttons to each page.
  • debugdesigndebugdesign Member Posts: 886
    I'm more than happy to throw in some vouchers for game vector graphics at www.graphic-buffet.com how do these 3 sound:

- $50 worth
    - $25 worth
    - $10 worth

I love this contest!
  • debugdesigndebugdesign Member Posts: 886
    These prizes are awesome... I might have to enter...
    Thanks Debug Design... I'll add them to the prize list right now...
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Member Posts: 646
    I'm in for shure!!!! AWESOME prices :D
    ---
    Benjamin
  • ZoytZoyt Member Posts: 374
    Hi, I'm still in school :(( so I probably won't be able to do the contest. But this sounds really fun if I could do it. Thanks!
    @Benjamin_m5 Glad to have you on board.
    @Zoyt Obviously don't ruin your school work, but maybe you can tie it in with some project or just allow yourself 1 hour a night to take part.

There are a few more prizes that have been donated via the comments on www.totgb.com

• Parking Game Template from Barking Apps

• Pack of custom stickers from TiBone

Many thanks and please keep them coming :-)
    We now have 2 more $15 iTunes vouchers being thrown into the mix. Many thanks to Novica Studio for offering 3 vouchers.

I'm also waiting to here back about a possible black shiny idevice....
  • JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    Im willing to put in my Cursed Ocean Template and Doodle Flood Template:)

Can't wait for this one! I really want to do this after not being able to finish last time..
    Great thanks Jamie.. I'll add that to the prize list now...

http://totgb.com/page/totgb5-prizes
    Another prize just in...
    Max from Ventora Studios has kindly donated a prize of:

A Brand New iPod touch ....

The pot is looking great...please keep the prizes coming big, small and massive...they're all welcome.

Cheers... night

Jon aka stormy
  • maxbeaumontmaxbeaumont Member Posts: 616
    @StormyStudio

Im looking forward to judging! Can't wait to see all the entries.

Cheers
    Max
  • HapiappsHapiapps Member Posts: 373
    Can't wait. Was a little busy last time so I couldn't finish mine but can't wait to try again.
    It'll be great to see what you come up with @Hapiapps
  • JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    @VentoraStudios Great prize! I think its the best prize iv noticed along with GS pro!
  • maxbeaumontmaxbeaumont Member Posts: 616
    @JamieOneil

Cheers mate! Glad to see Ive got a prize thats caught your eye. Good luck to you and anyone else entering!

-Max
    edited July 2012
    I'd also like to offer up an additional prize.

A promo video from StormyStudio (I'm a professional motion graphics animator by day and I've made a good few promos and video idents for game developers as well).
    - 2 nights work normally worth £200 to produce a promo video using supplied graphics, music and screen captures of gameplay.

Recent video I created for Ventora Studios
  • crazycam99crazycam99 Paris, FranceMember Posts: 519
    I would like to offer the project file of my tutorial to make the game firefly hero with watermarked art and a few things I didn't do in the tutorial + my menu template 4.
    You can view the videos on my website : crazygstemplates.blogspot.com

Hope I can still participate if I'm offering prizes
    cool thanks will add this later...

Also going to work out what templates I can offer from stormystudio.com
    Well the prizes page is looking pretty impressive now.

4 new templates as prizes from stormystudio, more from crazycams above donations,

Stencyl software have donated a pro membership.

This along with tshirts, itunes vouchers the big GS Pro membership, and ipod touch...

Its all shaping up nicely...

Check it out here:
    http://totgb.com/page/totgb5-prizes