Your GameSalad Professional Membership has expired.

TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Member Posts: 1,162
edited January 2012 in Tech Support
So I've been a member for over 2 years now but I got a Pro membership when it was $100. Now I have to pay $500?

Has anyone had a similar experience? Anyone who paid the $100 and now has to pay $500?

Also the link you get in the email to "renew" is broken
http://gamesalad.com/membership/join?showLogin=true

And yes I'm logged in.

Comments

• jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    It costs $500 a year. That $100 price was just a promo while they moved to the free/$500 model
  • ozboybrianozboybrian PRO Posts: 2,102
    I remember when it was $2,000 so i'm not complaining!

I'm scared of the price though when GS is FINALLY out of beta.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Support Fabled Apps! :D

Please LIKE Fabled Apps on Facebook.

Please Subscribe to Fabled Apps on YouTube.
  • The_Gamesalad_GuruThe_Gamesalad_Guru Member Posts: 9,922
    edited January 2012
    There is no free lunch in life. People have to eat and such so goes the world. If one's apps can't make enough in a year to cover the cost of pro membership then why bother with pro? Apple right now is the biggest market in this area and it's offered for free, hell you can't beat that! Right now pro features are of no value unless you're getting downloads anyway. iAds, in-app et is only good if you have a healthy amount of users. Every entrepreneur starts small and builds his or her way up, success is not overnight. Even the Gleeson Group with a former Golden Book property has to build it's market share over time. If it was easy being a developer everyone would be doing it and it's the difficulty that leads to few successes as most quit before they make it while others keep grinding, this is true for all business'.
  • TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Member Posts: 1,162
    edited January 2012
    Yeah I remember the $2k too!

@ Bacon..thanks I didn't need the lecture lol...my games have done pretty good considering.
    edited January 2012
    Well it was free..lol and everyone reads these post so don't get thin skin and think I singled you out.
    That true.

I'm just stressed that I'm just about to publish Tiny Diggers, am low on funds and now I gotta shell out 500 for a renew plus 100 for my Mac dev account which is just about to expire :(
    Trust me I've had several business' and think about this you could be trying to make a 10,000 dollar payroll this week...it could always be worse. Keep believing and grinding it out!
    That's true too.

Yeah I had a corporation myself...was hard work especially trying to run it with my (now) ex-wife LOL.

If only this coulda happened in a few weeks!
    I see you've done some TV work..I've worked on show myself. Most notably Stargate Atlantis/SG1. Cheesy show but fun, I did the Playback/Motion graphics on that show.
    edited January 2012
    BTW I love your app!!!!!!! I was a sitcom writer. So I got paid to be a smart ass..lol ah those were the days! Now I do it for free! I have some of my sitcom work on my site. http://www.fryingbacon.com
    Thanks! Which App?

Yeah I was checkin out your work, that's amazing that you did some scripts for such reputable shows like Seinfeld! Crazy! I hated having to read the Stargate scripts and try and visualize graphics for them because I didn't believe in the show lol.
    Diggers! I applied to do the sound but the person you went with did a great job! Yeah, you have to like what you do when being creative. That's why I chose TV writing as writers have all the power in that medium. I did write a few film scripts but that world is a jungle for writers.
    edited January 2012
    Oh right I'm sorry, been so hectic and I get tons of emails lol.

Yup you really do have to like it and I've always had a passion for the arts.

I see you're in CapCod. I've believe I've sailed there when I was a kid...I'm not far from you in Halifax, NS. Just across the pond! A fellow Maritimer.
    Yes I live a stroll from the ocean and lived on Martha's Vineyard for a while. I love it here. It's a great place for people in the arts with the laid back life style. People only dress up around here for a wedding and funeral. In a couple of years I will have no mortgage so I'm here to stay unless events dictate otherwise!
    edited January 2012
    Very nice, I would love to visit Boston. I hear from fam/friends here it's quite similar...naturally. I've lived on the west coast too right by the ocean for 15 yrs. I could never live inland.

Ahh... to be debt free! I wish.
    edited January 2012
    Yes, I plan on having a big hot fire to burn my mortgage in..lol oh and beer! I have a childhood friend who's family came to the US from NS. I have seen his Facebook pictures it is very nice.
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    hehe! :), I remember considering it when it was 2k
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    Mine expired last night as well. I am pretty much in the same boat as you @touchtiltgames however the problem I have is with the overall value of Pro. I doubt I will be back soon as Pro at the $500 price point. The broken link in the expired email and the issue for the last 2 weeks with Mac Publishing and the Android publishing issues over the holiday (GameSalad did extend my Pro membership during the Android troubled times) I just can't see shelling out $500 bucks. Would I for $99 bucks, yes, $200 maybe, but $500, right now, no. Yes I know they need to keep the doors open, etc...but the doors are open through VC money not the Pro memberships. I also remember the $2k price...ouch :-) but I remember back then that I did consider it. I am so glad I didn't do it.
    So for $500 you get the removal of the GS splash screen, In-App purchasing, HTTP linking, PRO support, and Android publishing. Well with Android publishing there is the sound delay issue so that is an issue that isn't very PRO like and PRO support isn't all that PRO. For $99 bucks I could live with the problems but shelling out $500 bucks I expect A LOT more from a company for my money. The Mac Publishing issue of late stalling my Valentine game release, the headaches with Android publishing (but I do give GS credit for making that right with me) and then last night when I got that email with the broken link to renew to PRO just pretty much pushed me to holding off on PRO for awhile. I know many of you feel that $500 is a fair price but you really have to look at what you get for that price and the return you can get back over. The iOS market isn't what it use to be.
    @Greg, I agree with ya. I think they really should have a tier program: 3 Tiers, 1st Tier is basic, 2nd tier is a few more features, 3rd the whole package
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    mine expires sometime next month. Honestly have not decided what i'm gonna do. $500 is definitely a fair price for the tool . I just don't have it to spend right now.
    Me too buddy...I can't do it and I don't know what I'm going to do. I can't afford 500 quid right now. I'm sure Tiny Diggers will make more than that but I'm just flat broke right now.
  • SingleSparqSingleSparq Member Posts: 1,339
    edited January 2012
    Yeah got my expiry today too (what we all got hit at the same time?) and its a tough choice when you haven't made back what you put in in the last 2 years. And yeah, what's with the renew link not working?
    What do you have in your app. Touch that you need pro features?
    @Sparq - I've definetly made back with Rodent Rage and Spazcon over the 2 years.

@Bacon - Hmm open URL and own splash. Definetly wouldn't want another splash on there.
  • osalzanoosalzano Member, PRO Posts: 136
    @tenrdrmer I'm exactly in the same situation.
    edited January 2012
    Remember the splash only plays once. After the app is started it stays in multitask unless a restart or app is clicked of in the home button menu listing running apps. I would release and if it makes money get the pro and update. Our first app had the GS splash screen and was a nonissue even by reviewers.
    edited January 2012
    Good idea..i can add URL back in later when im rolling around half naked and drunk on wine from my app sales. I just might have to do that.

One thing that bothered me about all this is that you get no 2-week or whatever warning that you are expiring....

Cheers buddy!
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    @Touch...I went looking last week to see how long I had left and could not find where that information was so I wasn't sure but expected it to expire this month.

In regards to the splash screen I never had a problem having the GS screen first and then in my project having my own. I don't mind giving them a little publicity :-) As much as I have been frustrated with them over the last couple of months I do love GS!
  • SandbirdSandbird Member Posts: 69
    Anyone here played Minecraft ? Its price was low cause it was beta. Now that the final release is out its price is about half its beta price up. You know why it was low priced ? Cause the people were the beta testers. They found the bugs then report them so that the program gets better and better and when the final release was out THEY were the ones who made it possible. Without them the program would still be in beta. How would the GS team like it if people stopped sending Crash reports to them ?
    I've said it before and i'll say it again. GS is FAR from complete...The editor lacks tons of features. Even the most basic Java paint editors have 10 times more stuff in them (zoom, group selection etc).
    500$ is a big number for a beta program with so many bugs.
    Speaking of crash reports....last night i lost another 2h of my life when GS crashed when i imported a picture. A picture!!! i didnt try to make a nuclear power plant...I tried to import a picture in it and it crashed. I am up to template_38 now...i save a new template of my project every hour or so...but thats not a solution.
    If in 2 years a simple Autosave or backup save, can not be implemented when your biggest problem is crashes then that tells me something.