Status Update on GameSalad 0.9.80 Release

13»

Comments

• bluelotusbluelotus Member Posts: 96
    YoRooster said:
    +1

I understand the idea how managing your assets can improve performance from the outset but does anyone know for sure if this resolves the RAM increase issue that eventually crashes your games? I see a lot of happy responses on here so I'm getting the impression it will. I look at this as an artist not a programmer so I try to understand everyone’s good advice as best I can.

It would be nice to know we could revert back to using the behaviours that the Gamesalad crew has provided us rather than having to rely on the more programmer savvy guys to figure out a clever work-around for us.

If I'm honest I feel all these fancy new features are nothing if the engine can't produce a stable game so this has got to be the first thing to get right before they go any further. The only reason I haven't yet forked out any of my cash to Gamesalad is because I'm worried after I make my game I will just end up with lots of performance bugs that I just can't get my head around.

I completely agree
  • LeonardDeveloperLeonardDeveloper Member Posts: 4,630
    THANKS SO MUCH STEVE AND ALL THE GS TEAM!,
    THIS IS A GREAT ANNOUNCEMENT
  • YoRoosterYoRooster Member Posts: 159
    Grunt said:
    If you are smart enough to write a complicated idea you must be enough to configure GS. There is no way that you put artwork from oneside and game comes out from the other. you have to configure the game. Although GS says game creation for everyone, remember everyone cannot create a game with GS. For most people this is damn complicated, they simply cannot think or plan on these lines. The minimum requirement is that you already have something to do with Graphics, animation or some sort of software and then you have at least attempted programing and found it difficult. i assume we are on the same point....or aren't we?

Hey Grunt. Don’t get me wrong I’m not sitting around waiting for the Gamesalad boys to develop the perfect program before I start my game. I already have a working level with animations and art I’m very proud of and I’m thoroughly enjoying the whole process. I’ll be dealing with those performance issues and optimising everything regardless of what happens. I enjoy all the problem solving and from what I’ve seen so far from the people here in the forums you can achieve some truly complicated IA with this program. Just makes me wonder why we have behaviours like animation and then we’re told there’s actually a more efficient way of doing it. If Gamesalad is laying out the code behind the scenes as we develop our games with an easy to use interface, can’t the code just be altered to write the more efficient one with the behaviour? Just a thought but I can appreciate it’s probably not as simple as that. Oh and yes gave Objective C a good try and yes found it difficult so I’m perfectly happy to configure a game on a program which I admit so far has been excellent!
  • RumiRumi Member, PRO Posts: 343
    SF said:
    If everything clears through QA, we should be on track to release 0.9.80 some time next week.

Best thing ever!
  • GruntGrunt Member Posts: 109
    YoRooster said:
    Hey Grunt. Don’t get me wrong I’m not sitting around waiting for the Gamesalad boys to develop the perfect program before I start my game. I already have a working level with animations and art I’m very proud of and I’m thoroughly enjoying the whole process. I’ll be dealing with those performance issues and optimising everything regardless of what happens. I enjoy all the problem solving and from what I’ve seen so far from the people here in the forums you can achieve some truly complicated IA with this program. Just makes me wonder why we have behaviours like animation and then we’re told there’s actually a more efficient way of doing it. If Gamesalad is laying out the code behind the scenes as we develop our games with an easy to use interface, can’t the code just be altered to write the more efficient one with the behaviour? Just a thought but I can appreciate it’s probably not as simple as that. Oh and yes gave Objective C a good try and yes found it difficult so I’m perfectly happy to configure a game on a program which I admit so far has been excellent!

I think many software have an easy simple way to go about and then there are people who take it to its limits extracting the last bits of juice out of it(sometimes could be people with programming background ..) i.e. exploiting its resources in a way which the vendor didn't initially intend. All users fall somewhere between these limits. I m not saying there are good or bad users but who do try to get the best out of the resources. I find myself in the middle. For instance when i read the frame numbering animation "method" I decided to stick to the traditional one and bear the extra loading time in this case. But i do believe it would be a one time job and then you can save that for future animations. Cheers!
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    Rumi said:
    Best thing ever!

agree
  • azimpactazimpact Member Posts: 112
    I hope the newest release fixes the memory leak problems that still are present when you destroy actors or reset the game.

Ram should be released after an actor is destroyed as well as when it resets the game.

You should not have to work around using the spawn and destroy behaviors. Either fix it or take them out.

Just my opinion.
  • creativeappscreativeapps Member Posts: 1,770
    GS Team take right decision after giving more priority on loading time and ram usage. Now user can produce more quality and well finish game. And these way gs can distribute own name.
    I am very thankful to you guy. Everyday 10-20 times I am clicking on "Check for updates" button. Beacuse I am very excited for updated version 0.9.8
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I'm somewhat disappointed that achievements - the other 'essential' part of GameCenter - is coming half a year after the leader boards.

Of course, I'm happy it's coming at all. But still, I was a tad disappointed when I found this out.

QS

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• So, when exactly is the next updating coming? Just curious...

K
  • AcceleratedGamesAcceleratedGames Member Posts: 201
    Ok, it is October and the September update isn't even here yet. Does this mean we will have to wait until Thanksgiving to publish our games to the Android Market?
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    42Volt said:
    Ok, it is October and the September update isn't even here yet. Does this mean we will have to wait until Thanksgiving to publish our games to the Android Market?

5 Days ago they said the release will hopefully be ready next week. That should have been your first clue it was coming in Oct. By my count they have till next weekend before anyone gets to complain. Hopefully by then if they miss the mark they let everyone know before its missed.
  • JBULLFROGJBULLFROG Member Posts: 58
    Sounds great!
    So will we be able to load multiple scenes?
  • RumiRumi Member, PRO Posts: 343
    JBULLFROG said:
    Sounds great!
    So will we be able to load multiple scenes?

Um.. what does that mean?
  • Benjamin_m5Benjamin_m5 Member Posts: 646
    Can please someone explain exactly to me what tables are?!

Thanks much
  • arcticsunrisearcticsunrise Member Posts: 159
    Benjamin_m5 said:
    Can please someone explain exactly to me what tables are?!

Thanks much

arrays

as in a standard way to store massive amounts of data that are very quickly searchable and referenceable

enables large data to be used in a game and its easy to reference it - saves making tons of variables and boolean switches
  • arcticsunrisearcticsunrise Member Posts: 159
    42Volt said:

it means we will wait until whenever its ready - roadmap isnt set in stone, its a working guide.
  • willieharriswillieharris Member Posts: 294
    better Performance from the engine is what ive been praying for... everything else is secondary!

I love GameSalad all over again. LOL
  • TobyToby Member Posts: 478
    Maybe the next GS version should be released with full IOS 5 & iPhone 5 capability? I'm prepared to wait for a better and more compatible result -

That Said.... Looking forward to the next release. My games are shaping up nicely!
    OK EVERYONE COUNT DOWN 3 HRS FOR APPLE TO PUBLISH IPHONE5(SAD I CAN'T SEE IT) TC OR SJ TO SAY IT?

anyways hope Gamesalad it's on it's way to the update

Calvin
    Ahem* ....well???

(I think we can all agree, It's ok to say it's going to be delayed - again)

Yoda?
    I think I am ok for the delay for some reason, I normally complain, but I don;t think I will do that this time

so if .9.8 is a pref update, wil .9.9 destroy th pref again?
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    Toby said:
    Ahem* ....well???

(I think we can all agree, It's ok to say it's going to be delayed - again)

Yoda?

They said last week they were shooting for sometime this week. That is only 1 delay so far from the initial 9.8 roadmap at the top of this post. They have until the end of this week before anyone can say its another delay. And even if they do delay it, I suspect it would be to iron out bugs, which is ok with me. Give them a break. Its just the start of the week and to start complaining now it just premature.
    It is the future you see.... Yoda? .....You must feel the force surround you and bind you...... it's between you, me, the tree, the rock.... everywhere...... yes even between 0.9.71 & 0.9.8!

Yoda, Yoda, yo, yo, yo ,Yoda!

Bed time... tired.
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    Toby said:
    It is the future you see.... Yoda? .....You must feel the force surround you and bind you...... it's between you, me, the tree, the rock.... everywhere...... yes even between 0.9.71 & 0.9.8!

Yoda, Yoda, yo, yo, yo ,Yoda!

Bed time... tired.

Are you on drugs?
  • JBULLFROGJBULLFROG Member Posts: 58
    Rumi said:
    Um.. what does that mean?

Im wondering if you can select multiple scenes to "preload" and thus all assets used in those scenes would then "preload". So lets say you have a world select screen/scene, level select screens/scenes for each world, an instruction screen/scene, and an options screen/scene. Could I preload all those screen/scene and thus going from one to another would eliminate the loading between scenes? Or will I have to select all the assets used in each scene and have them all preload to eliminate the loading between each scene. I guess that's what i was asking, and we may not know until its released.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
This discussion has been closed.