Marketplace Update: Templates, Sellers, and Carts!

Comments

• JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    stormystudio said:
    Okee dokey...email sent...

One question for discussion....

When the marketplace section of the forum goes, does that mean everyone is going to be allowed to 'talk about / promote' templates that are for sale openly in the main forum?... which I know can get annoying...

god i hope not. Its already annopying enough even with it staying in the marketplace forum. No offense to the guys but the marketplace forum isnt there personal advertisment board for them each to bump 30 threads at a time and have only there stuff visible.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    Nope, once the marketplace forum goes down, marketplace stuff should stay in the marketplace.

I don't even go into the marketplace sub forum any more, it looks like my hotmail spam folder.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    As I understand it once closed there will be no more selling allowed on the forum. I really hope they hold to that.
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    I agree the marketplace forum section is a pretty pointless bumping contest. Get rid of that and
    maybe if Gamesalad could simpy do a single topic where they announce each months new templates so forum members can check them out if interested. Or at least promote new templates well in the marketplaces so regular users are kept up to date.
  • UtopianGamesUtopianGames Member Posts: 5,692
    I have been informed they will start promoting the GS Marketplace very soon, we have 19 templates on there and we only sold 2 over the last 5 days so its pretty bleak atm but I'm sure the guys will promote via newsletters and such like soon.

Yes i agree to the no advertising in the main forum and also hold my hands up to a bumping comp v TSB in the sub forum but whats good for the goose and all that.

Darren.
  • AcceleratedGamesAcceleratedGames Member Posts: 201
    tenrdrmer said:
    Pleas tell me you dont honestly think templates where not planned as part of the marketplace until you suggested it 3 weeks ago. We wanted a template marketplace on GameSalad back before there was a Marketplace Section of the forum. :)

I was kidding, (hence the smiley face) I said it because I had mentioned it a while back and maybe they saw it.
    UtopianGames said:
    I have been informed they will start promoting the GS Marketplace very soon, we have 19 templates on there and we only sold 2 over the last 5 days so its pretty bleak atm but I'm sure the guys will promote via newsletters and such like soon.

Yes i agree to the no advertising in the main forum and also hold my hands up to a bumping comp v TSB in the sub forum but whats good for the goose and all that.

Darren.

Thats good to hear... hopefully I'll get a few templates up myself.... as for the bumping I think anyone with a template was up for a little 'bumping' action, me included. Although I must say you and T-shirt were very good at it....
    no news yet...anyone else heard either way if they've been approved / declined?
    Stormy I have been approved and signed the agreement, but things are moving very slowly on sending me the rest of the how to upload info.
  • ARandomDayARandomDay Member, PRO Posts: 124
    I have been approved to sell artwork in the new Marketplace, Im just awaiting on final upload details and related things.

I should imagine they are very busy but will get around to everyone.

- Damo
  • RiffelRiffel Member Posts: 1,272
    ARandomDay said:
    I have been approved to sell artwork in the new Marketplace, Im just awaiting on final upload details and related things.

+1 I have animation and art pack ready to sell
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    Don't think they should shut down the marketplace forum. When I buy I generally don't want art that everyone can buy but custom art. Thus, they should allow one advertising post per member to advertise their custom art services and allow users to then give a rating or a comment.

Plus its not in GS interest to have a bunch of games using the same assets, which is what will happen unless people have easy access to those who do custom graphics.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    UtopianGames said:
    we have 19 templates on there and we only sold 2 over the last 5 days so its pretty bleak

Wow, that's pretty discouraging. I think I should just setup my own shop.
    dotsonj23 said:
    Don't think they should shut down the marketplace forum. When I buy I generally don't want art that everyone can buy but custom art.

I think the "Jobs" forum is good for that.
  • JamieOneilJamieOneil Member Posts: 877
    Will the marketplace also include a place to offer services such as promo video creation.?
  • baboybaboy Member, PRO Posts: 93
    It's been a couple of days now, still no word from GS if i got approved or rejected :(
    Still waiting too. I guess they are just super busy.

In the mean time I'm still selling quite a few templates on my website. www.stormystudio.com

Still excited at the prospect of selling in the proper marketplace, anyone care to share the terms and conditions if you are allowed?
    Im not gonna share the terms, It may be allowed but I dont know so im not gonna. I did get some info today and they are having some issues that is holding everyone up from being added to having access. but it is still coming.
    JamieOneil said:
    Will the marketplace also include a place to offer services such as promo video creation.?

Currently No, I am trying to get them to add a section so approved marketplace sellers will be able to list contact details for services they offer.
    cheers for the update....

still waiting patiently :-)
  • TobyToby Member Posts: 478
    Have a post in the GameSalad Developers Linked-In account from Cooper W regarding the GameSalad Marketplace that's worth a look:

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/GameSalad-Marketplace-2201891.S.73703453?qid=dd759106-1cbe-4ab2-bbca-1a975efac001&trk=group_most_popular-0-b-ttl&goback=.gmp_2201891

Maybe join the group if you feel inclined!
  • zombieaddictzombieaddict Member Posts: 213
    DZTECH said:
    A lot of artists and composers put ads in the market place for custom music or custom art. Where can they put their ads.

I'm hoping that this idea gets approved. Not only is it a help to some of us that like to make a living that way, but I believe it's in GameSalads best interest that people, maybe just approved market place sellers be allowed to offer services for custom art/sound assets.

If the GS staff think carefully about this, imagine if *theoratically* you had 100, 000 GS apps on the app store, all using the same images from the same graphics packs that are being sold in the market place. GS games would start to have a very common and stale look. Yet another thing for people to rag on GS about. Obviously a large majority of people who use the software have no idea how to create graphics so alot of them will quite possibly cave in and just buy whatever is available to them because they can't readily find the right people to actually create their custom art work.
  • BobDBobD Member, PRO Posts: 374
    I like the market place forum the way it is. I buy templates and art and it is the best way to find out about sales or speciality items. The GameSalad Marketplace does not lend itself to 1 day sales and bundles or one of a kind sales.
  • debugdesigndebugdesign Member Posts: 886
    I create graphics on the marketplace and I keep the main bulk of my products quite generic so they can be building blocks for a complete game.

I use the marketplace, I have templates from DBA & TSB, I have bought music from Sparky and had video trailers done by stormy so I think it's really useful.

My graphics are cheaper than the ones on the new official marketplace so do I need to up my prices to be included, and is that because GS needs to take a cut?

I love GS to bits and I think 'if it isn't broke, leave it alone" The marketplace thread does not impinge on the main forum so just leave it for us little guys to help out those that want it.

As for the app store being flooded with apps with the same graphics, I can tell you now that I have not sold that many so I don't foresee a 'flood' any time soon...
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    debugdesign said:
    I create graphics on the marketplace and I keep the main bulk of my products quite generic so they can be building blocks for a complete game.

I use the marketplace, I have templates from DBA & TSB, I have bought music from Sparky and had video trailers done by stormy so I think it's really useful.

My graphics are cheaper than the ones on the new official marketplace so do I need to up my prices to be included, and is that because GS needs to take a cut?

I love GS to bits and I think 'if it isn't broke, leave it alone" The marketplace thread does not impinge on the main forum so just leave it for us little guys to help out those that want it.

As for the app store being flooded with apps with the same graphics, I can tell you now that I have not sold that many so I don't foresee a 'flood' any time soon...

but you little guys never even get your stuff shown and at the top haha. Like we said a bunch of times in this thread, the old marketplace looks like a spam folder and alot of people dont even actually bother to look at it anymore. At any time u go to the marketplace thread your basically guaranteed to see 20 threads by 2 people and thats it.

Like you said yourself it doesnt appear in the main forum so when it comes down to it i could care less and im sure tons of other people could care less as well. Im just saying do you honestly like how the marketplace forum is
  • zombieaddictzombieaddict Member Posts: 213
    i agree the current way the marketplace is definetly isn't good. i made a thread in there and in a couple days it had been pushed off the page by only a couple of people with a ton of threads. still though it would be nice if theres some way to help GS members to get to people who offer services.

probably a long shot of anything like this happening here but i like how http://conceptart.org/ have the block of icons at the top of the page. basically features the best artists. people can look at samples of work from the various artists, get info about their past experience and contact them..
    Still waiting any sort of reply...

In the meantime I'm still selling the odd template on my website www.stormystudio.com

but I'd really like to get them on the main site to see if sales improve.

Really hope some of my best sellers get accepted e.g. my paper toss template, point and click collectables menu and more.

I've emailed them again after waiting 2 weeks. I know they're busy...but fingers crossed it all starts happening soon.

In the mean time back to working on my new mini game... Secret Project X.... a simple game with a potentially tiny market....
    damn it... email system not currently working:

"Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

marketsubmission@gamesalad.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
    etc etc etc"
    Stormy even though they sent me all this info on how to get everything setup to upload a week ago they still have not sent any of the tax stuff or the final heres how you physically submit your files info. Really frustrating to have this big of a delay. I would really like to get my stuff listed already.
  • MChewieMChewie Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 32
    I wanted to hop on and give everyone an update on Marketplace and the submissions, as things did go a little slower than we expected, and we felt it was a good idea to get some potential problems fixed before we started really rolling things out. But, despite some tech issues that reared their heads on us, we have gotten through them and things are rolling again. So here's what's been happening and where we are now:

When we announced the submission process, we went though the many submissions we received on the first day. We reached out to these people as our phase 1, and sent over the legal terms & conditions that they needed.

At that point, we had our technology hydra spawn a few heads. It took a while to kill them all (even buried the immortal one - look it up), shut down the marketplace, pushed the new tech, and got everything done and secure.

Today we sent out the final submission information to the first approved people. They should have that information in their mailbox now. We expect to be receiving their assets and getting them up shortly.

Now that we've got it working, we'll get new assets up, identify any issues, and then start processing the many other requests to submit that we've received. That will take place over the coming week as long as there aren't any hiccups.

So what's next? I'm glad you asked.
    First of all, we are working hard on the audio technology. We will probably roll out with a limited number of providers, with both sound effects and music. Once we feel good that everything is stable and smooth, we'll start adding more audio providers.

We're also going to continue to update the Marketplace interface itself. New searching, display, cart mechanics, and more are all in the queue, and it should get faster, better, and slicker, which makes it easier to buy and sell the assets that people have worked so hard on.

In addition, we'll be doing more to keep everyone informed on the assets and benefits of Marketplace more and more. Expect updates on new content, sales, and technology to be pushed out by us so you can see that we're adding things that will continue to benefit the community.

In closing, it's been an interesting path to get to this point, but we're very happy that we've made it this far and hope that you will continue to see Marketplace grow and provide valuable assets for all of our community.

Thank you for being patient with us, and know that we are listening and working to do it right.
    Thanks MChewie,

Nothing in my email yet but i'll keep and eye out.
  • MChewieMChewie Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 32
    I did a resend to the group, and also sent you a copy directly, tndrdrmer. Hopefully the email deities are feeling kindly this time.
This discussion has been closed.