GameSalad 0.9.7 - iOS Keyboard, Device Clock, and Debugger

Comments

• steve86steve86 Member Posts: 806
    Thanks for the update Lauren. Now that is how a fine company should respond to a critical error fix.

I guess i'll wait until we get this fix for me to keep on working and take the afternoon. I'm off to the Golf tee everyone. Happy coding :)
  • gizzi93gizzi93 Member, PRO Posts: 67
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    LaurenSalad said:
    Hello,

Thank you for all your feedback on the 0.9.7 release. We were really excited to bring new features like iOS keyboard, device time, and the de-bugger to our community of users.

However, we are aware that with the 0.9.7 release we unfortunately introduced a serious issue in regard to Game Engine Memory within the GameSalad Viewer.

Here is how we defined this issue internally:

GS Viewer: Game Engine memory constantly increases with each scene change

Basically, projects will have a memory increase every time a scene change happens (size of increase depends on how massive the project is). This means that eventually the project could crash on the device due to lack of memory.

This is a critical bug and we have been working hard to resolve this issue immediately. We apologize and completely understand your frustration.

We are happy to announce that we will be releasing a fix for the bug TODAY with a 0.9.71 release.

Along with this release, we will also be integrating new templates (iOS keyboard and device clock) into Creator for your use.

Thank you again for your feedback and patience.

:D ufff thats great.
  • imGuaimGua Member Posts: 1,089
    I have been testing my game a lot yesterday, that's why I'm 100% sure, that after update, fps in my game became lower.
  • beefy_clyrobeefy_clyro Member Posts: 5,390
    Im happy this has been addressed and the fix will be released immediately, thank you
  • MetzoPainoMetzoPaino Member Posts: 195
    Just posting to give my thumbs up for the RAM fix.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Any word on that Update. I know its only been a few hours but the day is winding down and I have a binary I need to reject and resubmit.
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    Hey, everyone.

The 0.9.71 patch is now live. There is really only one release note for the patch, posted below:

Fixed an issue that was causing the GS Viewer to stack memory with a change of each scene

Thanks to everyone for their patience and understanding while we got this fix out the door!

--Yodapollo
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Yodapollo said:
    Hey, everyone.

The 0.9.71 patch is now live. There is really only one release note for the patch, posted below:

Fixed an issue that was causing the GS Viewer to stack memory with a change of each scene

Thanks to everyone for their patience and understanding while we got this fix out the door!

--Yodapollo

That Was Fast! Congratulations! this is how this should work for this kind of bugs :D
  • MammothMammoth Member Posts: 640
    Thank you for fixing the bug :)
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    fastest GS update in history
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    MagoNicolas said:
    That Was Fast! Congratulations! this is how this should work for this kind of bugs :D

agree... seems like the GS engine is finally started cranking, keep up the momentum guys. sooner or later you'll have your first news mention of a 14 year old becoming a millionare using GS, and the rest will be history.
  • POMPOM Member Posts: 2,599
    Many thanks for the quick fix!

Roy.
  • JamesLewisJamesLewis Member, PRO Posts: 109
    Great job guys....

J
  • ShineyGamesShineyGames Member Posts: 157
    I tested a scene in 9.6 memory usage 47mb
    then in 9.7 memory usage 57mb
    now with 9.7.1 it 70mb!!!!!!
    its not leaking memory but the memory per scene has gone up so much!
    how high can it go before it crashes my iPhone 4?
  • DizkoDizko Member Posts: 498
    marcgreiff said:
    There is an unquestionable memory increase and has grinned my project to a halt. If anyone one out there knows how to revert a project that was originally created in 0.9.6, then saved in 0.9.7, back to 0.9.6 please let me know (marcgreiffdev@gmail.com). Any help, from the dev team or gs community would be greatly appreciated. I am on a tight deadline for this particular project.

Thanks in advanced

It won't help you, the publishing servers will have all be undated to the 0.9.7 version.
  • gamedivisiongamedivision Member Posts: 807
    while the memory fix is not perfect from any stretch of the imagination,you have made a difference,we are back to square one before 0.9.7 update.so well done for fixing the ram issue which you caused in the first place.we can only go up from here.i think
    woop woop.
  • Fredrik BixoFredrik Bixo Member Posts: 239
    Someone know if the memory leak only appears when you created a hole new project with Gamesalad 0.9.7 or if this also happen if you only make a little change with the project in 0.9.7 but you worked like 99 % in 0.9.6?
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    gameARN said:
    Someone know if the memory leak only appears when you created a hole new project with Gamesalad 0.9.7 or if this also happen if you only make a little change with the project in 0.9.7 but you worked like 99 % in 0.9.6?

It will still be the same problem as the whole game engine is replaced with an update. your project file is just a set of instructions telling the engine what to do.
  • AsymptoteellAsymptoteell Member Posts: 1,362
    I was looking at the release notes, and I saw this:
    "Resetting the game multiple times will now continue to generate random numbers"

Does this mean the random function will make a new random number each time (I assume with the clock) rather than following the same sequence each time? If so, this seems like big news. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but I wanted to bring that to everyone's attention.

Asymptoteell
  • gariantrollgariantroll Member Posts: 219
    I still have the RAM issue. GameSalad you are killing me.
  • ORBZORBZ Member Posts: 1,304
    That's not a debugger, it's just a log viewer. A debugger would let us set breakpoints, inspect variables, etc.

Don't get me wrong, the log viewer is a nice addition, but it's not a "feature" it's just a log viewer. Handy, but not a debugger. A real debugger would be really nice!
    Asymptoteell said:
    I was looking at the release notes, and I saw this:
    "Resetting the game multiple times will now continue to generate random numbers"

Does this mean the random function will make a new random number each time (I assume with the clock) rather than following the same sequence each time? If so, this seems like big news. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but I wanted to bring that to everyone's attention.

Asymptoteell

I would like the option of seeding the random number generator with the system clock or with my own seed. Sometimes I want the behavior of a deterministic random pattern and sometimes I want a truly random pattern. Seeding with my own value lets me create the same play experience each time. Seeding with the clock lets the system give the illusion of true randomness.

GS Devs: Just add a behavior: RandSeed that takes one parameter and if RandSeed is not present before the first time random() is called then fall back on the system clock for the seed. Isn't this programming 101 stuff?
    Photics said:
    Wow... it's too neat. I thought there would be like a unix timestamp. Instead, it's broken down by category. That's useful for certain things, but that makes things harder for something like farmville. If I want to check that 60 minutes has past, that means I have to check for the minutes, hours, days and years to ensure a proper value.

I strangely agree. GS, could you add one more param please to the Clock attribute? EpochSeconds? It's handy sometimes to just have the whole "time" value summed up in one number.
    You guys are killing me. FPS dropped by 10 in the new version. What the hell?

PERFORMANCE! PERFORMANCE! PERFORMANCE!

Please focus on that.
    Agree with orbz , a real debugger would be even better

I still has a question, is there any way to stop the player cheats when I use the clock

Calvin
    RKS said:
    I think it would be great to have the text boxes not pop up and take up the whole screen, just a normal text box please?
    PS: @Calvin to spice up your signature with custom text links, do this (a href="http://link.com") Custom text here (a) but make sure you change ( to < or ) to >. I will turn out like: _______
    RKS Games GSBar!

hey RKS check your PM
  • hich4mhich4m Member, PRO Posts: 142
    this is really unacceptable , why the performance got that slow , at least i lost 10 fps after updating to 0.9.7 , start getting real mad now after waiting over 2 months for fixes , and now performance major drop down
  • StusAppsStusApps Member, PRO Posts: 1,352
    hich4m said:
    this is really unacceptable , why the performance got that slow , at least i lost 10 fps after updating to 0.9.7 , start getting real mad now after waiting over 2 months for fixes , and now performance major drop down

Yep, it's stopping me making any updates as I'm not publishing versions that perform a lot worse than the previous.

Did this not show up in testing? You would think so, and it was somehow deemed acceptable?

I think this version should be rolled back to 0.9.6 until they actually get it to work.