GameSalad 2011 Roadmap

Comments

• SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    I agree with the sheep. I'm going to wait to see what happens with that. I bet GS does too. The only thing I would use in-app for, is if I had a free version and they could have the option to get the full version, and to have a in-app link to buy every game I made, in all the games I have.

I don't know what to think about using it as a hacking deterrent. Those people wouldn't buy the game anyway. But then again, knowing that you stick it to the hackers is a good feeling.

My problem with in-app is it's abuse in some games I see on the app store. I believe a game should be complete when you buy it. If you're going to charge me $.99 five different times to make the game complete, then why don't you just make the game $5.00? DLC does make more money, but it's kinda not cool. Paying $.99 to change the color of something, or even to buy more levels, is ridiculous to me.
  • TheHooglerTheHoogler Member Posts: 102
    IAP could be very beneficial to game makers. I know as a user, I don't easily pony over .99 for a game unless I'm fairly certain I'll enjoy it, which means I don't spend that money on indy games. However, I'm willing to give anything a shot if its free to download, and will gladly pay inside app if I enjoy it. I'm working on an RPG that I want to offer for free, but have IAP for currency and special weapons. With the amount of work I put into it, I think I should be compensated. However, I also want tons people to download and enjoy it, and that won't happen at .99 unless I have Stephen King write my info and have James Cameron direct my screenshots. But I think people will be hooked if only they start playing, and IAP is the solution for that.
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    LaurenSalad said:

With that said, we are excited to provide you with an updated roadmap within the next couple of weeks.

Hope the Give us the New RoadMap Soon!
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    @Hoogler: Lol, and perhaps Mila Jovovich as your main character ;)
  • RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
    NOO I WAS JUST GOING TO POST "POST 250!!!"
  • TheHooglerTheHoogler Member Posts: 102
    Well, she will take just about any job :P
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    very unprofessional. even though they said couple of weeks, there should be some kind of response from time to time at least so we know the status, they seem to have send an female admin that speaks for the company when trouble arise and mob gets upset, and after they calm everyone down they disappear again.

Learn from your competitor guys, the guy posts update on his blog so that the users knows what's going on, and not "we'll work on that, and you'll know when it's done". (some of us works on the schedule by the weeks, days and hours, hitting our own roadmap by the hours, and we can't afford to wait weeks for a platform that we depended on, imagine sending your car in for maintenance, and having to hear, chill out we'll let you know when it's done.) Seriously guys, you need someone that communicates between your users and the team in the company and not just someone temporarily acting all nice and dissappear.

(i know I'm gonna get flamed by the sous(es) again... such is life on gamesalad)

cheers.
    They used to be really good about keeping up with announcements and letting people know about updates and the roadmap and such. Then people started holding them to every word like it was written in stone, and even going as far as complaining on the very first day of a season when they said something would be ready by then. After things like that, they don't post as much about announcements or the situation on upcoming features. It would be nice to know these things, but I can see how they wouldn't want to anymore.
    right, that's understandable. but why let a few bad egg spoil everything? I mean imagine any other company saying we had people complaining about our release date ( i dunno cars, iPhone, software anything) so we stop telling people release dates(that's not acceptable in most other industries or even just software company, but why is it accepted here, and supported)... I mean no one else does this kinda things, that's what I mean by unprofessional (just comparing to industry standard) because after all everything is relative... so if you can't be the best, you should at least live up to standard if you are charging more than your competitor.

just common logic here.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    ultima said:
    right, that's understandable. but why let a few bad egg spoil everything? I mean imagine any other company saying we had people complaining about our release date ( i dunno cars, iPhone, software anything) so we stop telling people release dates... I mean no one else does this kinda things, that's what I mean by unprofessional (just comparing to industry standard) because after all everything is relative... so if you can't be the best, you should at least live up to standard if you are charging more than your competitor.

just common logic here.

Idk Just one of the most successful companies out there never gives a release date until they are good and ready. Im mean honestly look at the latest. No one knew when lion and the MBA's would be out until Whamo you wake in the morning and they ready to buy. Have you heard when the iPhone 5 is coming? Well Apple Said Fall.

GameSalad is working hard. And no your not getting flamed by the sous-chefs. You'll see many of us speak up against Some of GameSalads practices from time to time. I personally agree with you. Its been to long since they have said We're updating the Roadmap to have not at least acknowledged that we are in fact wanting to see it and waiting.

I do think its very inappropriate to Say they send in a "female" to calm things down though. Lauren was just recently hired Its not like she's been there forever just sitting around waiting for the big riot.

And yeah I Think we can very much thank the people who don't get that the roadmap is not set in stone. People were demanding the summer features be ready the first day of summer and pissing and moaning that image flipping and iOS keyboard where still not here at the end of spring. It took a year and a half to convince them a road map that actually gave some in-site to their plans was a good Idea because they did not want to deal with people claiming they where lied to about this or that. and sure enough as soon as it was here people just didn't get it. and the "you said Spring" crap began. Sure not the majority of us. but enough that I would start withhold info again.

Oh and one last thing you cannot compair GameSalad to the competition as who is best because we have one thing none of them have. Drag and Drop speed.
    ah, apologies, when i said female admin, it wasn't mean as negative thing, a lot of the public relations personnel is female because they tend to be more gentle and is able to calm down raging crowds faster than mans do.

right agree on the speed... but. sometimes i wonder, the speed at the compensation of falling behind in offering newly released features that good old programming offers... are we really faster? or will we be faster learning to code than waiting for new features to become available. but anyways i guess there's a trade off between everything.

sigh, i'm just hoping that GS step up to the game once it goes out of beta. I mean, technology happens at the speed of light, and if we are not able to innovate, we'll always be behind.
  • LumpAppsLumpApps Member Posts: 2,881
    It would be nice to get a frequent update of the roadmap status. But I will not go as far as flaming the GS team about it. I have nothing but respect for this great product.
    I do curse every now and then at the gs application but since it is still on beta an free or cheap I am not complaining. I do complane about other bigger applications which cost a couple of grands and still have bugs or 'features' where I ask myself how it is even possible.
    ultima said:
    right agree on the speed... but. sometimes i wonder, the speed at the compensation of falling behind in offering newly released features that good old programming offers... are we really faster? or will we be faster learning to code than waiting for new features to become available. but anyways i guess there's a trade off between everything.

sigh, i'm just hoping that GS step up to the game once it goes out of beta. I mean, technology happens at the speed of light, and if we are not able to innovate, we'll always be behind.

I personally don't believe GameSalad is, or will be falling behind. If people think GS is lacking compared to others, then they can learn to code Objective-C or Lua and go with X-Code or Corona. Drag and drop is the one thing GS has over everyone else. If anything, they are on the front of technology. To a non-coder, X-Code and Corona are just confusing word processors.

Even though it doesn't have all the features that hand coding offers, You can't drag and drop with X-Code, or Corona, or Unity, etc…GameSalad is a sophisticated piece of software that allows any non-coder to make a game come to life in very little time. If you think about it, GS is way ahead of those other SDK's even though you can't implement IAP's right now or access the core phone features just yet. Those things are coming. Even without those features, I think GameSalad is ahead of the others in terms of technology. The whole GameSalad experience from the website, to the publishing features in the program are impressive uses of technology.

If someone wants to learn to code over the next year, it wouldn't be a bad thing. It would probably more beneficial in the long run. I'm not a coder, and I don't have time to invest another year in learning how to, especially since I've already been down that road, and crashed and burned in the ditch. So drag and drop, and logic is good enough for me, personally. I can wait for the features they have planned.
    I guess logically, it doesn't really make sense. to call GS on the front of technology... but anyway i'll leave this topic along. since we are just talking about GS team being more open about the status of the updates, even something like, "hey guys we got this new version, and we are testing it, so this week it won't be release yet , and we'll keep you updated" etc. i mean.. who's gonna hold them accountable for saying it won't be released this week, there's always ways to work around things. but in doing so they are also providing status update.

p.s. successful individual won't move backwards most of the time, and most of the time after you become successful the next logical step is to move forward to the next ... (anyway. nvm i said i'll leave the topic along) I guess one thing I can say is to know your strength and know your weakness... and GS for one is strong in speed in known and tested and down to earth friendly, but weak on innovation and first to market development and professionalism. it's the way the platform is built.... (so if being friendly and down to earth is one of your strength why not focus on further developing, and being close minded and keeping users int he dark certainly doesn't help.) just my 2 cent.

Cheers.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    ultima said:
    i mean.. who's gonna hold them accountable for saying it won't be released this week

tons and tons and tons of people. The stuff that came out in the summer, 12:01 midnight on june 1st people were complaing about it and making threads about it not being here and they still had weeks to go before summer started.
  • ApplionsApplions Member Posts: 9
    what about text input ?
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    ultima said:
    Learn from your competitor guys, the guy posts update on his blog so that the users knows what's going on, and not "we'll work on that, and you'll know when it's done".

I think you are referring to Carlos Icaza. His Internet communication skills are legendary... he's very passionate about it. I don't think that's a fair comparison. That's like getting mad at other basketball players for not being like Michael Jordan. He's the co-founder of Ansca Mobile and he has the freedom to discuss things. (Maybe not everything, like the August 2nd news, but I think he has the autonomy to discuss what's going on with Corona.)

At GameSalad, it's a different situation with a different set of people.

Here, the software is still in beta. Additionally, eyeballs from investors are focused on the company. The founders here have done well by staying out of trouble. The community here is quite different. I think this forum is more active. And additionally, I think this community is more vocal. I haven't seen an online crowd like this since I was playing MMORPGs. When something goes wrong, it's like the developers nerfed stealth or something. I noticed that the founders were less visible after the big money started showing up. While I think that's unfortunate, and the wrong way to manage community relations, millions of dollars are at stake. The fact that LaurenSalad and JillSalad are on the forums shows that GameSalad is thinking about the matter — and taking steps to correct it.

I think GameSalad vs. Corona is the wrong way to look at it. It's like getting mad at a hammer when you need a screwdriver. They're both tools for making games. As a serious developer, I think it's in my best interest to master both systems. If coding is not your thing, then I think GameSalad is still the best software out there for iOS / Mac game development.

Yeah, I've seen people like Sanya Thomas and Gaile Gray try to keep a community happy while not really having the autonomy that Carlos Icaza has. It's a tough situation. And yeah, if this was my website... I would make fixing the forum and updating the roadmap a top priority... but it's not my site and I don't really see the point in getting upset about it. GameSalad has operated this way for a long time. It's like getting mad at a hurricane for making things wet.

Ultimately, the software is great. I've built some fantastic apps with it. (I'm really looking forward to the launch of "Project: Salvage".) I'm planning to make more apps with GameSalad in the future, regardless if I get more serious with Corona or not.

We're making games here, not breaking bricks or cleaning toilets, remember to have more fun.

We're making games here, not breaking bricks or cleaning toilets, remember to have more fun.

=)
  • hich4mhich4m Member, PRO Posts: 142
    does anybody have an idea when the new update will be available ?
  • LaurenSaladLaurenSalad Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 650
    Hello!

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on the status of the Roadmap. We are in the process of making revisions and amending timelines. Our team is reviewing these updates and we look forward to bringing an update to the community soon. Please remain patient with us while we finalize things. Our goal is bring you the most accurate look at our development timeline as possible. Feel free to continue to share ideas and suggestions. As always, I will monitor this thread for your feedback.

Thanks again guys!

Looking forward to sharing more with you!

Lauren
  • hich4mhich4m Member, PRO Posts: 142
    thank you Lauren :)
  • akstudiodevelopmentakstudiodevelopment Member Posts: 93
    I absolutely love Gamesalad. It's an amazing piece of software. Period! I can only imagine it would take at least 10x longer to make our games if we did not have Gamesalad.

Looking forward to the future updates!

K
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    LaurenSalad said:
    Hello!

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on the status of the Roadmap. We are in the process of making revisions and amending timelines. Our team is reviewing these updates and we look forward to bringing an update to the community soon. Please remain patient with us while we finalize things. Our goal is bring you the most accurate look at our development timeline as possible. Feel free to continue to share ideas and suggestions. As always, I will monitor this thread for your feedback.

Thanks again guys!

Lauren

awesome
    i think someone said there should be an update every month, and it's been a month since the last update, hope good new is coming... i'm beginning to think that the updated news will be only an updated roadmap?? let's hope not. (not trying to hold someone accountable for what they said, but just checking up on the status, since all we heard is wait patiently.)
  • osucowboy18osucowboy18 Member Posts: 1,307
    LaurenSalad said:
    Hello!

Thanks again guys!

Lauren

Great news Lauren...thanks for the update! Looking forward to seeing what is coming down the road :)

- Alex
  • lovelostlovelost Member Posts: 7
    Being able to programmatically index on multiple touches simultaneously is critical for me to even get started. I need to be able to identify a touch in an event condition and then involve that touch in the event action. So stuff like:

If touch_event fired
    Then sprite_position = this.touch.position

Or however it might be implemented. The enumerated variables touches1, touches2 etc. are not useable because touches can happen in any order and therefore I don't know at design time which will trigger my events.

Since this is critical to multitouch games I do wonder if you're holding it back for a new premium version or something!
  • entersimonentersimon Member, PRO Posts: 273
    lovelost said:
    Being able to programmatically index on multiple touches simultaneously is critical for me to even get started.

You can constrain an actor's x,y points to a specific touch count and have that actor be involved in the event you want. Take a look at the Official Cross-Platform Controller Template inside GameSalad Creator to see how it handles multiple touches and events with those touches.

Many complex ideas that appear impossible to create with GameSalad are actually possible if you put some time into figuring out a workaround with the behaviors you can play with.

Best of luck!
  • bdjonesbdjones Member Posts: 1
    Lots of exciting features on the roadmap :) The lack of in-app purchases is holding me back from seriously considering GameSalad for my next project. I'm hoping that'll be addressed soon :)

But there are other little missing features that I'd need to see before committing to GS. For instance, custom fonts (being able to embed and use a TTF, for example) and localization support.

My biggest concern is that I'll invest a tonne of time into a GS project only to realize that GS doesn't support a mission critical feature :-\
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    bdjones said:
    Lots of exciting features on the roadmap :) The lack of in-app purchases is holding me back from seriously considering GameSalad for my next project. I'm hoping that'll be addressed soon :)

But there are other little missing features that I'd need to see before committing to GS. For instance, custom fonts (being able to embed and use a TTF, for example) and localization support.

My biggest concern is that I'll invest a tonne of time into a GS project only to realize that GS doesn't support a mission critical feature :-\

Well the only way you will find out is to try it. tons of Great GameSalad games have been published and been successful. The only major thing holding people back is the people themselves. Good Luck

And luckily you can build you game for free meaning no upfront cost until you decide for sure your gonna go with it.
This discussion has been closed.