GameSalad 2011 Roadmap

Comments

• iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    I would like to see UIKit Integration for 1.0 or later.
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Still waiting for this roadmap plus GameCenter Authentication Fix, it is holding my game release :(
  • steve86steve86 Member Posts: 806
    Hey GS do we have any news on that road map ? Cant wait to take a look at it, See where we are going. :D
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    at this point i'm waiting for an update.. instead of just mere roadmap.
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    I want to update more then the RM too
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Yeah, i need an update! Better than a roadmAp for me now!
  • calvin9403calvin9403 Member Posts: 3,186
    IAP in 0.9.7?
    Anyone like the idea of UIKit Integration? (Be able to use UIButton, UILabel, etc in apps.)

I would like GameSalad's UI to become more like Xcode 4 in regards to interface layout (Assets on the left, Scene properties on the right, and scene editor in the center.)
  • steve86steve86 Member Posts: 806
    Hey GS staff long time no yellow post. I hope you are busy making GS more amazing. :)
    What the hell happened to this?

"We’re done being super silent. We’re excited to talk to you on a regular basis -- we have lots to share and want to hear what’s on your mind." This was said six months ago.
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    Guys its been all of a week since lauren Posted last. Granted it would be nice to have some updates a little more often but to be fair we used to go months between GS staff comments.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    tenrdrmer said:
    Guys its been all of a week since lauren Posted last. Granted it would be nice to have some updates a little more often but to be fair we used to go months between GS staff comments.

+1
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    tenrdrmer said:

No, I don't think this is a good sign. Instead of things getting better around here, they've gotten somewhat worse. Not only is GameSalad still not properly communicating with the community like before, the forum features are deteriorating.
  • ultimaultima Member, PRO Posts: 1,207
    I used to be able to only say mama now i can talk. haha j/k

i think some of us are just having growing pain... perhaps we should leap ahead instead.

i was reading an article on fast co yesterday and it talks about an economist's view on money spend, he recommends that we take things into perspective as if we've lost the money invested already, and always make the best decision based on current situation. I think he's got a point.
  • mynameisacemynameisace Hull, UKMember Posts: 2,484
    And also Photics seems to be posting more... Turns out things are degrading...
    mynameisace said:
    And also Photics seems to be posting more... Turns out things are degrading...

LMAO

@Photics. Like I said it would be nice if they communicated more. but like it or not its better than it used to be. This time last year we went months between yellow posts and then when one did come up people where so excited there was a yellow post they didn't realize how much the information sucked. ;) they are getting better but sure there is still ways to go.
    ultima said:
    i think some of us are just having growing pain... perhaps we should leap ahead instead.

"The saddest thing in life is wasted talent."
    A Bronx Tale (1993)

I think the problem that I see here is an awesome opportunity being wasted. GameSalad can be legendary software... like Macromedia/Adobe Flash legendary... Instead, its reputation is tainted. How does that get fixed? Active communication and community building would probably help.

They got money, they hired new people... what are they waiting for?

Leap ahead... what does that mean exactly? Does it mean switching to Corona, Cocos2D or some other SDK? To me, it's not a leap ahead without the drag-and-drop interface. That's what makes GameSalad great. Not only is this software great for making games, it could be a radical tool for web development.

I'm passionate about Game Development and Web Development. To see GameSalad move so slowly with development, to be so poor with community management, it just makes me sad.

...and the reality is... better tools leads to better games!

Here's the thing that really annoys me. I like Carlos over at Ansca Mobile, but this bothered me...
    Notice how Walter now calls Corona the best mobile platform in the planet. And that is because you have made us get here, and also, unlike our competitors, our success lies within your success.
    When thinking of a competitor to Corona I think of GameSalad. So, what's being implied here? Is GameSalad not really concerned about the success of the community? I don't think so. I've talked to many of the cool people that work at GameSalad... and they seemed quite concerned about the needs of the community. But that's the problem... it's so secretive. Why? Open the windows, let some fresh air and sunshine in.
    tenrdrmer said:
    LMAO

You're a Sous Chef. Your role is to moderate such posts, not join in. I'm ignoring that poster, because it's the right thing to do.

...but that also shows how this community is degrading. How are personal attacks acceptable? It shows that GameSalad has a big choice to make. They can either get active and fix their reputation, build up this community and take an active role in moving it forward... or they can watch their hard work get ruined.
    But you just whine and whine about the lack of this and lack of that in long winded posts; if you spent more time finding beta testers instead of ranting, the GS world would be a better place.

Anyway, back on track...

Anyone got any fun guesses or speculations in to what will be in the next release?

Ace
    I miss getting excited over pointless posts with little information - used to make my heart flutter like being a teenager again and having the hottest girl in school talk to you :)

Ace
  • RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
    tenrdrmer said:
    LMAO

Photics said:
    You're a Sous Chef. Your role is to moderate such posts, not join in.

You're absolutely right.

I've participated lately in the Cocos 2D & Corona SDK forums lately and let me say; none of this crap happens over there. I mean, coming from a sous. Seriously? I love the ability of having a community... just not this one. Another reason why I'm learning other SDKs.

GameSalad is loosing out with *some* of its sous chefs.
  • JohnPapiomitisJohnPapiomitis Member Posts: 6,256
    Everyone keep it civil. We dont need personal attacks or other sdks talked about in the gamesalad roadmap.

You guys want updates, getting this thread closed wont do that
  • RedlerTechRedlerTech Member Posts: 1,583
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    Photics said:
    You're a Sous Chef. Your role is to moderate such posts, not join in. I'm ignoring that poster, because it's the right thing to do.

Gotta agree.
    TO the people who think Lauren posted only a week ago: Its been a MONTH since we were "promised" an update on the RM.

"First of all, a BIG thank you to everyone for the feedback and general excitement about our roadmap and what we see as the future of GameSalad. We consistently try our best to incorporate your feedback and prioritize development accordingly. Our hope in providing a roadmap is that you’ll have a good sense of our priorities for the year and an approximate timeframe for when you can expect them to be available.

With that said, we are excited to provide you with an updated roadmap within the next couple of weeks.

We look forward to sharing more with you soon!

Thanks!

Lauren

3 weeks ago# Quote"

I see we're back to the good old non-communicating scheme with a non-updated roadmap.

@RH: I agree also. A mod's job is to moderate posts like that also, not just join in. If a mod doesn't do his or her job, then that user shouldn't be a mod.

@Photics: Your right, it has gotten worse. GS STILL hash't moved to a PROPER forum software. I would choose Simple Machines Forum.
    mynameisace said:
    I miss getting excited over pointless posts with little information - used to make my heart flutter like being a teenager again and having the hottest girl in school talk to you :)

Ace

Each time a yellow post appears I'm like "I knew it". I'm used to getting little info, or information we already knew about from a previous yellow post.....

GS's reputation is deteriorating in an exponential rate.
    http://gamesalad.com/forums/topic.php?id=21266&page=9#post-215427 Looks like this says 1 week to me. She gave an update 1 week ago. In the past For example the last few BIG PICTURE threads at the end of last year. Yodapollo would post it and within a day stop responding to it for every. She's not gonna get on here everyday to tell I have nothing new for you today.

And Photic's My sous-chef responsibilities are to keep Flame wars down. not protect your super sensitive feelings. No one gave a personal attack. just their opinion of you in a sarcastic joking way.

@iDeveloper Do you even use GameSalad. it seems I remember a big Im Quitting thread like 6 months ago. Why do you eve care if your a corona user anyway?

Guys the point of this thread is to get news on the road map and make reasonable constructive suggestions and discussions. Make a new thread if you want to complain about Me or any Other sous-chef and leave this topic back to the purpose.

And honestly here a pretty good Road Map update for you right here.

Some really cool stuff is coming. Seriously. Some of you will be extremely happy and some will as usual not be happy with how the new stuff works. But honestly its really cool stuff. :)

hopefully that will be enough for you guys until Lauren gets an OK to post something.
    tenrdrmer said:
    not protect your super sensitive feelings.

Once again - that's not professional... and it only adds to the diminished, hostile and juvenile atmosphere that has progressed and plagued this community. If you want to think less of your role and your responsibilities, then you get to help build the community that comes with that choice.

Two "New and Noteworthy" threads here are the "The Secret Of Father Simons" controversy and "Thief Salad". I think GameSalad should be proactive and improve the reputation of the company. By not taking a more active role in community relations, they are indeed communicating with the community... but the wrong message is being sent.

This is not me being too sensitive. This is me bringing professionalism and respect to the community. When you try to insult me, it only make you look bad... especially since you were give a position of respect by GameSalad.

...and what you laughed at as an insult... I write as a compliment... because I am posting more is a clear sign that something is wrong. I post when I see problems... and I'm seeing quite a few here.

Now it's up to GameSalad to fix things. It's their company and it's their decision on where they want to take the company.
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    Hey, guys.

I understand it's been frustrating, waiting for an update to the road map. We're working with engineering to get a new estimate on all priorities so we can provide you with that exact information. At the same, they're also working their tails off trying to polish 0.9.7 and get it out to everyone.

Until we get the new estimates on all the features from engineering, our priorities remain as stated in the current Road Map, which has been updated to reflect features already delivered. Once we get the new estimates, we'll be able to give a proper update, reflecting what's being added and what's being pushed.

Thank you for your patience, and as soon as we have something, it will get posted.

--Yodapollo
  • SlickZeroSlickZero Houston, TexasMember, Sous Chef Posts: 2,870
    The things coming on the roadmap look promising, and I'm really looking forward to them. GameSalad is still in its infancy, and still in beta whether anybody wants to accept that or not.

I remember Flash in it's infancy, and Director in it's infancy, and Photoshop, etc, etc…Look at where they are now compared to 13 years ago.

Being so called developers, I'm surprised that a lot of us are so judgmental towards GameSalad and the roadmap, and how sometimes things don't always go as planned, and something gets pushed back. Unless you are just a template re-publishing factory, we should understand that. How many times have we had a game that we were sure we would have finished by Friday, and we don't get finished until monday…A month later.

The roadmap is getting done, we just have to be patient. They aren't even out of the gate yet, so we can't call the race over.

They have nothing to post yet. And even if they did post just to say they don't have anything to post, people would start throwing rocks even more so than they are now. I'm looking forward to the next update, and what it has to bring from the roadmap. If everything on the list isn't checked off, I'll live.
This discussion has been closed.