From the Devs: New and Improved GameSalad iPhone Publishing

superNESsuperNES Member Posts: 166
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
We're proud to introduce a new iPhone publishing system with GameSalad 0.6.1. The big difference is that you no longer need to worry about code signing, modifying plists, or even opening xCode. Our engineers have been hard at work on what is now without a doubt, the easiest way to create iPhone apps.

With the update, you'll notice a much more streamlined interface for setting up your app, only 3 fields are required! There's also advanced options that allow you to toggle effects such as the iPhone shine overlay on your icon. Also, everything happens in the tool. No need to go to the Project Management site to download your app, it now does it for you in the same session. Also, apps are no longer distributed as xCode projects, rather we bypassed that step altogether and let you download your app directly as a .app file, signed and ready to go on your device or to the App Store.

You will still need to setup your certificates and provisioning files just like before, however that's a one time event. Except for when you are preparing your app for distribution on the App Store, everything can be done from the streamlined interface.

We've updated our iPhone publishing page to reflect these changes. If there's any information that isn't working, or is confusing, please post it here.

http://gamesalad.com/wiki/developing_for_iphone

We thank you all very much for your continued support and we hope you like the new additions in 0.6.1. Happy gaming!

Comments

• stanimationstanimation Member Posts: 406
    Awsome! Like I have been saying....GS Rocks!
  • JGary321JGary321 Member Posts: 1,246
    Very nice. Anything that makes things more streamlined is fine by me =)
  • shwinstershwinster Member Posts: 23
    I'm slightly dissapointed. This may just be me but exporting into xcode was one of my favorite features in gamesalad. It helped me learn more about my game and it also helped me add features like openfeint.
  • zombotszombots Member Posts: 186
    how did u add openfeint? i tryd n couldnt ge it to work
  • SDMGSDMG Member Posts: 280
    congrats! good idea to make this procedure easier...
  • shwinstershwinster Member Posts: 23
    Did you register as an Openfeint dev
  • venon_itvenon_it Member, PRO Posts: 594
    Now we can add " Openfeint " ??? Thanksss
  • jhaasjhaas Member Posts: 233
    My concern is - how can I control what version of the SDK the game will release as?

I see a lot of folks releasing games at the latest SDK. This is not good as most customers don't have the latest.

I'm currently releasing all games at 3.0. Without some control over this - I'm going to need the xcode project.
    No one else concerned??
  • superNESsuperNES Member Posts: 166
    All games built with the new system are built using 3.0. This makes apps compatible with any phone running 3.x software. There are currently no features that require a higher sdk so we do not see this to be an issue. We will continue to target the most compatible and acceptable SDK as our target platform to ensure you can reach the widest audience.
  • superNESsuperNES Member Posts: 166
    Apple tests everything against 3.0 so the app has to maintain at least that compatibility.
    Thanks for the info. May I suggest with future release of GS you state what build level you are supporting? Just as you did above. Or add an option for us to choose the OS level. This could become an issue for some of us.

I agree with what you said about supporting the widest audience. However, there could be a time where GS decides to move forward before I'm ready. The decision to move to and support an OS level needs to remain my decision. :)
  • dandan Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 28
    The new direct .app publishing system targets iPhone OS 3.0, and will continue to until apple's requirements change. The only reasons we would change it would be to give you access to a larger install base of devices, or compatibility with apple's current release of their tools.

In the old XCode project publishing system, the GameSalad engine binary was already compiled with the 3.0 SDK as a static library. So, there really isn't any compatibility difference between the new .app publishing and the older XCode project method. The only essential difference are that its easier to do now because it has fewer steps!

Also, you can't currently install a game in the iphone simulator, but the iPhone simulator is a poor testbed for games anyway since its performance characteristics are very different from an actual iPhone or iPod touch.

GameSalad does not yet support integration with 3rd party scoring services like OpenFeint, ScoreLoop, Agon, etc... However, your interest in them is noted and as always, suggestions are welcome!
  • ccbx4321ccbx4321 Member Posts: 43
    So, nobody really responded to shwinster's concern. He'd like to get access to the xcode files still. I'm actually interested in this as well. I've read that the project comes as a .app file, is there a way to extract the xcode from within the project on my own?
  • johnccjohncc Member Posts: 25
    I am frustrated with this update because it limits my ability to have the actual xcode project. I WANT the xcode project so I can run the app and test it without streaming it over the GS Viewer.

PLEASE GET THIS FIXED!
  • johnccjohncc Member Posts: 25
  • JamesBoucherJamesBoucher Member Posts: 433
    Apple does not require you to build under 3.0. I build under 2.21 but test under 3.0 or higher. Unless this has changed in the last ten days, Apple asks you if your app has been tested for 3.0 not if it was built under 3.0.

I would say most devices have been upgraded to 3.0 or higher so I'm not going to worry about it.

I would rather get an answer to why my app locks up after 20 sec.
  • micahmicah Member Posts: 85
    I have apps in the App Store that weren't made with GS, and I compile them all for 2.2.1. On the TouchArcade dev forums there has been lots of talk about supporting older version of iPhone OS, and there are stats someone collected on the users of their game and what OS version they're running:

iPhone OS v2.0 0.19%
    iPhone OS v2.0.1 0.00%
    iPhone OS v2.0.2 0.00%
    iPhone OS v2.1 1.32%
    iPhone OS v2.1.1 0.56%
    iPhone OS v2.2 5.27%
    iPhone OS v2.2.1 12.05%
    iPhone OS v3.0 18.27%
    iPhone OS v3.0.1 9.04%
    iPhone OS v3.1 6.59%
    iPhone OS v3.1.1 2.07%
    iPhone OS v3.1.2 44.63%

From this it looks like roughly 20% of iPhone OS users are using something older than 3.0. I think this is because Apple charges iPod Touch users for the upgrade, and also because people who have jailbroken devices don't want to mess up their jailbreak with an upgrade. So support for earlier versions would be cool, but if GS is statically compiled on 3.0 anyway I don't think it's the biggest deal.

I'm interested in getting access to the Xcode project myself though. And I have a question. Would it break the GS license to do things like hack up OpenFeint integration (or doing anything else like that) into the Xcode project after exporting from GS?
    Those are interesting stats, thanks for doing the research and posting!

Also, any word yet on access to the xcode? Looks like 4 people have responded wanting a means to get to the xcode in this thread alone. I thought I read somewhere that you could open a .app project like a .zip file. Is this possible? Would it give me access to the xcode? People have listed adding OpenFeint and the like manually, is this allowed? I for one, would certainly like to get into the code there for the purpose of educating myself and for custom coded functionality that gamesalad may not implement.
  • ktfrightktfright Member Posts: 964
    From what another person posted zome time Ago, you can't currently edit the Xcode file. I bet the devs are trying to give some wiggle room to the broblem, though I like that it's more streamlined. I bet they are probably trying to add openfeint or maybe their own highscore thing in the future. Honestly, I'm lucky I can use a program like this, even if it hits a couple snags along the way from time to time.
    The devs have said before that editing the xCode was not an option before. It was locked. I'm not saying there might not have been a way to 'hack' it, I don't know.

What I do know is that it would be crazy if they allowed people to edit the xCode project. From a business standpoint by allowing someone access to edit the xCode file, who would buy the premium subscription when you could just add the feature manually in xCode. Personally I like the new streamlined way of doing it. I also like the fact that the xCode is not available.
    @JGary321 Yeah, I agree, it would have just made things more complicated. As much as other people would like to be able to edit their apps through Xcode, it would just take away that whole simplicity that gendai is trying to go for, and it would only confuse people who have no idea how to code at all. I'm just saying that let the GS devs get farther in with GS, and just be paitent.
  • JamesBoucherJamesBoucher Member Posts: 433
    I think that it would not be in the best interest for GS to allow access to the xcode. I don't blame them for that. You could make a framework (or parts of games) and give it away to others and GS would not get their cut.
    I look as this program as a means to supplement coding and make it easier in terms of game creation, not entirely replace it. I realize that others may just want a program to do everything for them and that's fine (nothing wrong with that), I just don't see much of a downside to allowing others the functionality that they need as well by allowing access to the xcode. Everybody wins?
    I see your point. However, with GS, the gendai devs may feel like they are on a razor thin line between simplicity (which is their main and prior goal) and custom functioning (hopefully a future goal), so either way there is no bright light at the end of this for anyone.

I hope this doesn't split the community up or somethin'.
    I just don't see much of a downside to allowing others the functionality that they need as well by allowing access to the xcode. Everybody wins?

From a business perspective, I would have to go back to my original statement. If GS allowed you to do that, would you ever consider paying $1999 per year to get the Pro features?? Why would you when you could just add it yourself?

I'm not saying this is the reason by any means. I'm just saying look at it from a business standpoint. There is a lot of potential revenue lost.

Also as ktfright has pointed out GS is geared toward simplicity. Hence the motto, "Game creation for the rest of us". It is great for real coders to do some things, but geared more to those who can't code, who aren't going to miss a lot of the potential features that maybe could be added.

I guess one suggestion for the GS guys would be to allow xCode access with the PRO version. That would be a great compromise. You could then do most of it in GS then add the small things you want outside of it.
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    Just tried an update - we'll see how it goes!

Easier always equals better in my book ;)

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• Rob2Rob2 Member Posts: 2,402
    I payed my $99 about 3.5 weeks ago but have been busy on other stuff and had no time for GS. I must admit I was a bit disappointed to find when I did my first test that I would no longer get back an xcode project but a ready made app. As someone learning xcode/objc/cocoa etc etc it is a bit of a bummer and I am surprised that it is possible what with all the keychain malarky. I liked the fact that the final product would have been compiled on my machine.

On the plus side the process worked without any hitches and was very quick.
    Cheers...thanks very much...will give it a try
    Do you mean downloading the project from your manage page?

eg this bit ->

Project Details

Display Name: AccelTest
    App Name: AccelTest.app
    Game Project: download <------------------------------here?
    Default Image: Pro Membership Required.

That gives me a file I have to rename to zip and then its a gs gameproject file