GameSalad Answers 10 Questions - Tonight!

YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
Hey, everybody!

Tonight - that's Wednesday, 10 November, 2010, I'll be answering 10 questions via the GameSalad Twitter account. I'll send out a tweet to all our followers letting you know when to send in your questions. I'll pick 10 questions and reply to them via twitter.

So, if you want to participate:

1. Follow @GameSalad on Twitter.
2. Tonight, I'll send out a tweet stating that 10 Questions has begun.
3. Once the tweet is out, send your questions out to the Twitterverse.
4. Make sure they start with @GameSalad and include a #gs or #gamesalad tag as well.

I'll pick 10 questions and immediately respond. This is your chance to ask us what you've always wanted to ask us.

Thanks, everyone and I'll see you at the home of the little blue bird tonight!

Mahalo.

--Yodapollo

Comments

• giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    Sent tweet :D
    Can we ask multiple questions?
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    That's great! Could you also post these questions and answers on the forum?
  • YodapolloYodapollo Inactive, Chef Emeritus Posts: 447
    @giacomopoppi

You sure can... send in all the questions you'd like. We won't start answering until later this evening... and we'll be answering exactly 10 questions.

If this goes well, we hope to make this a regular, weekly event.

Mahalo.

--Yodapollo
  • SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    any ides on a rough timeframe? Not sure how long I wanna stay up here (in the UK) waiting for it to start. :o)
    @TheMoonwalls

The selected questions and their corresponding answers will be posted tomorrow.

--Yodapollo
  • giacomopoppigiacomopoppi Member, PRO Posts: 914
    This is greast GS!
    Getting better and better!
    Probably another couple of hours, at least. If we continue to do this, I'll try to vary up times in the future in order to give our international audience more opportunity for these Q&A sessions.

--Yodapollo
  • gyroscopegyroscope I am here.Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 6,598
    A neat idea! Especially if it's a regular thing. I've just started following you on Twitter. Can't think why I wasn't following before... :-)

""You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike." - Zork        temp domain http://spidergriffin.wix.com/alphaghostapps

• SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    niceone Yoda.

be cool for us foreign types to get in on the action :)
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    I'm from Poland so this is too late for me.
    I just want to ask, if anyone could ask these questions (as Yodapollo said, we can ask as many questions as we like):
    1. Does Gendai plan to create Play Video behaviors in the nearest future?
    2. Will services like OpenFeint or ScoreLoop be available in GS in the nearest future?
    3. Does Gendai plan to support in-app purchases in the nearest future?

Thank you very much! If next "Q&A Night" is in the european time-zone, I will ask your questions!
  • TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Member Posts: 1,162
    http://twitter.com/gamesalad

I know what most of them will be lol. Ask away... ;)
  • BarkBarkCoBarkBarkCo Member Posts: 1,400
    Merge with sticky?
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    This really wasn't that fair of a 'game' since you didn't really answer any of the questions. I am pretty ticked off. Why are you teasing your customers this way? Most of us have BEEN EXTREMELY stressed out over your shenanigans the last month and now this 'twitter game'.

I just want to make apps/games and I want to make them with GameSalad at a reasonable price. That's all. Now if you REALLY had answers that you were ready to announce then it would have been fun and clever but this was a giant FAIL!

Arghhhhhhhhhh!
    I think this is just them trying to open communication channels a little more than in the past. There are obviously some things that have to wait for the official announcement, but we got some decent details out of them...
    One thing I forgot to ask was if the new GS app will be available for members that don't upgrade to the new subscription model...
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    You open up communication with actually communicating. We have been jerked around for about a month now. Like I said it would have been cool and cleaver if that was how they were going to announce new features and pricing, etc. When I saw the posting on Twitter I got excited and thought well here it is! The new release and that this was how they were going to tell the world.

It was VERY disappointing.
  • SnowSnow Member Posts: 124
    I have to agree. I saw no answer that we didn't already know or could guess. What's the pricing? How much is the express option now? Is there still a Direct or equivalent option where one can use pro version GS and release under Gendai as the publisher? We'll just have to keep waiting.
  • PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    GameSalad said:
    We had hoped to launch the new version this week, but we've still got a couple bugs we want to fix first

The operative word appears to be "had" ...so it seems that there will not be a Gamesalad update this week.

I don't think this is productive for the community. I'm not a fan of Twitter. (I'm surprised the fad hasn't worn off already.) Yet, it's more than that. There's some basic information customers should know. Like...

• How much the product/service costs.
    • What the product/service does
    • When the product/service will be available.

Until basic information is answered, there will be a certain taint around conversation within the GameSalad community. Clear the air already.
  • dotsonj23dotsonj23 Member Posts: 316
    Shoot! I thought for sure they were gonna use this as an interesting way to announce going live and that they would then go live tonight. But of course not. par for the course. Very little new info except that its delayed again. But at least now I don't have to keep checking the site every couple of hours since we now know there is no chance for this week.
  • magic101himagic101hi Member Posts: 713
    Here are the is the Q&A Session!

Q1: "When you going to release the new version?"
    A1: "We had hoped to launch the new version this week, but we've still got a couple bugs we want to fix first."

Q2: "Very good. You may ignore my rephrased question"
    A2: "The most depressing thing about looking at all the games I have to look at is that I didn't create them"

Q3: "Can I come visit your Austin office?"
    A3: "Let us know when you're in town and we'll try to work it out. Totally depends on the week."

Q4: "Are you bringing it to PC?"
    A4: "We're always looking at other platforms, but it's not coming in the immediate future."

Q5: "Will there ever be the option to publish Universal apps?"
    A5: "That's something we'd love to do - it's just a matter of finding the right way to implement it within"

Q6: "what are the requirements to get an app published under the GS label?"
    A6: "We're finalizing that in the coming days and we'll have an easy way to contact us specifically for publishing under GameSalad."

Q7: "Is the price for the new express sub going up? If so can you say by how much?"
    A7: "Also, that will go live with the next update, which will be soon."

Q8: "Will I still have an account after the subscription change?"
    A8: "Of course you still have an account. iAds will be available in our new Pro account, but at a much more attractive price."

Q9: "What is the pricing going to be for the Express and Pro?"
    A9: "We're still tweaking, but I can say they'll be much more attractive than before. :)"

Q10: "Sounds like the same will go for the new "professional" sub too? Will there be adhoc upgrades for express?"
    A10: "Express members will have a very easy, very attractive way to upgrade to our new Pro."

Just thought I would post them

:)

-Josh
    Missed 1 answer

Q7: "Is the price for the new express sub going up? If so can you say by how much?"
    Actual A7: "Down! Down! Down! :)"
  • RickyRicky Member Posts: 58
    BarkBarkCo said:
    Missed 1 answer

Actual A7: "Down! Down! Down! :)"

I knew I wouldn't have to squander my investments.. :]
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    Hype for the update = Dying for me. It's been way too long, and all I keep hearing is that it's being delayed again and again and again....

@Photics: I agree. This meddling about is not productive for us. I wanted to actually USE GameSalad, and because of all this waiting, I feel as if the GS-Hype (for me) is dying
  • iPhoneDevForMeiPhoneDevForMe Member Posts: 362
    I feel like we did not receive any solid information with this :(
  • iPhoneDevForMeiPhoneDevForMe Member Posts: 362
    @Photics

Absolutely agreed, I feel as if the Q&A was pointless, considering im still left in the dark and have no idea any new details. Maybe if some better questions were used as well, but maybe thats just me being difficult.

I am majorly excited for the update but the waiting has shifted from anticipation to frustration.

So on that note, GS creators, you are awesome! I just wanna know now!!
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    I'm glad I missed this. I would have asked:

"Will there ever be a person born that could swim faster than a shark?"

Lucky lucky lucky...

QS :D

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• PhoticsPhotics Member Posts: 4,172
    magic101hi said:
    A3: "Let us know when you're in town and we'll try to work it out. Totally depends on the week."

This is what I like about the GameSalad team. Individually they are quite friendly. If you break through their wall, and get to meet the inner circle, they appear to be very friendly and open individuals. NYC Dave and Busters or the Sous-Chef moderators appears to be access to inside information. Even when the GameSalad Direct® fiasco hit, I don't recall any of the Sous-Chefs badmouthing the GameSalad team.

As comparison, I wrote to ArenaNet and basically asked if I could stop by and say hi. They said no... even though I would have to travel over 3000 miles to make the trip. So, at least GameSalad has that going for them.

I don't understand where this secrecy comes from. It's not productive. Are their competitors really going to gain advantage if GameSalad announces their pricing a week early?

Ansca Mobile does seem highly competitive, and would seem to be the type to capitalize on any of the GameSalad follies, but their 50% off promotion didn't sway me.

Why?! It's because I like this community. With this highly secretive and inconsistent method of communication, GameSalad is actually hurting themselves. It puts a drain on the community, which is the second strongest advantage GameSalad has... the first is easy to use software. Corona can add an easy to use interface, but can it copy this community? With poor communication like this, it won't have to. The community will leave and go there. The bleeding has already started. If GameSalad really is to be the next Zynga, it should address and correct this issue immediately. I can already see how the forums are dropping in activity and the tone is increasingly negative.
    quantumsheep said:
    "Will there ever be a person born that could swim faster than a shark?"

Why the answer might be yes...

1) Is the shark sick or dying? Then yes... a person can swim faster.

2) Through genetic manipulation, it is conceivable that one day it would be possible to alter human DNA to the point where they could swim faster than a shark. With rising populations, and the surface of the earth being mostly water, it seems possible that humanity might have a spin-off race... water people.

3) If you follow what futurists like Ray Kurzweil says, people will eventually download their brains into machines or alter their bodies with nanotechnology. With such technology, they could probably swim faster than a shark... but are they still human?

4) Supposedly, if you punch a shark in the nose, it stops and turns away — which would give you the ability to out-swim the shark... or at least swim away.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/09/10/earlyshow/living/petplanet/main6853015.shtml
  • StormyStudioStormyStudio United KingdomMember Posts: 3,989
    Cheers for doing this Yodapollo.

And thanks to magic101hi for posting the q&A session.

look forward to the next one....

Maybe go for questions like, is video support even being considered at GameSalad HQ?
    I came in this morning, and the first thing on my to-do list was post the questions and answers from last night's Twitter Q&A, but it seems that they've already been posted. :)

I'd just like to thank everyone who participated and offered up their questions.

I think this is something we are going to try and do on a weekly basis. This first run was just a test and I think it could get even better the more we do it.

Thanks for thoughts, feelings, comments, and suggestions on how we can make this better going forward.

--Yodapollo
  • tenrdrmertenrdrmer Member, Sous Chef, Senior Sous-Chef Posts: 9,934
    I'm pretty disappointed. A lot of the answer where nothing more than side stepping the question. It's like you guys looked at all the questions and picked the ones which where easiest to give a completely vague answer. Just come out with it. Give us the DATE and give us the Price. And seriously Twitter? why not just do this on the forum. Post a stick where Questions can be asked and Post a sticky with your ten answers which no comments can be posted to but yours. I'm certainly not gonna make a twitter account just to ask questions that will get no real answers.