From the C.O.O. - A Brief FAQ on GameSalad Direct

GameSaladGameSalad Key Master, Member Posts: 33
edited November -1 in News from the Dev Team
To everyone:

We heard you!

We knew that our announcement of GameSalad Direct would draw a strong reaction from our developer community. What we didn’t realize was that we had done such a poor job of addressing the issues most important to you. As I read through all 44 (!!) pages of comments (thank you for the “Planet of the Apes” clip – a timeless classic), I knew we had some explaining to do. I apologize for that mistake, and will take some time to address each of the concerns we’ve seen come up most often.

What exactly is GameSalad Direct?
GameSalad Direct is GameSalad’s new publishing service that will provide independent GameSalad developers with a suite of game creation tools and publishing services for the App store. Taken together, GameSalad Direct represents a scalable and social way to expand the capabilities and reach of your games.

Why are we creating GameSalad Direct?
GameSalad Direct helps us solve a number of problems faced by our community. First, once GameSalad Direct is in place, we will be able to easily connect players of one GameSalad game with other GameSalad games, increasing downloads across the community. Second, when a developer makes a break out game, we’ll be able to provide additional support, whether that support is marketing or otherwise, to help the game obtain even greater success. Finally, by moving to a revenue share model (details below), we are aligning our interests with that of the community – when you win, we win.

How much will GameSalad Direct cost?
As part of the move to GameSalad Direct, the full-featured “Pro” version of GameSalad Creator will be free to download and use. When a game is published via GameSalad Direct, both the developer and GameSalad will share in the revenue at rates favorable to the developer, especially for the most successful games. There are also some administrative fees related to publishing. The specific amounts and revenue shares will be posted once we release GameSalad Direct. They key benefit of this pricing model is that it allows more people to try their hand at making games because the tool is free, but also encourages quality.

What happens to my existing subscription?
If you have an existing subscription to GameSalad, that subscription is going to continue for the remaining life of the subscription. Nothing about GameSalad Direct will take away or restrict your access to GameSalad during your subscription term. You’ll still create and publish your games exactly as you’ve done so in the past. If your subscription has recently expired or is about to expire, contact customer support and we’ll work with you to make sure you have an extension until we launch GameSalad Direct.

Who owns a game published under GameSalad Direct?
You do. All of your creative effort belongs to you, from game play and character names, through art to the look and feel of the user experience. You will own all of your intellectual property in the games you create with GameSalad. By using GameSalad Direct, you will be granting GameSalad the right to publish the game via the App Store. Even after publishing with GameSalad Direct, you will be able to update your game, change pricing or even remove it from the App Store.

What about my identity as an independent developer?
When you publish through GameSalad Direct, you will still be able to brand your game uniquely to you. We do not want to interfere with your reputation or growth as a developer. We recognize that many of our community members rely on GameSalad for their livelihood. You have our commitment that GameSalad will continue to be a viable tool for that purpose. In fact, GameSalad Direct provides us with the means to better support our most successful developers. For example, you will still be able to use promo codes and will have access to expanded analytics based on not only your game (what you currently get from the App Store), but the community as a whole. Also, we are introducing an App specifically for testing called the “GameSalad Player” that will be available through the App Store.

What happens to my existing games?
Your games stay on the App Store. You are free to continue to update your games for the rest of your existing subscription term. Once your subscription expires, you’ll be able to move your games over to GameSalad Direct.

While we are excited about the opportunity that GameSalad Direct brings to our community, nothing is yet set in stone. We’ll continue to listen to your feedback and concerns, and adjust the program features accordingly. Also, we’re working with Apple to make sure that all that we do as a company and a community is beneficial to the App Store and its customers.

I’m really excited about the changes we have planned and I hope that you’ll give us a chance to show you what we have to offer. I’m looking forward to working with all of you in making great games.

Regards,

Frank Coppersmith
Chief Operating Officer
GameSalad

Comments

• ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    Thanks for your response!
    Not that I like the lack of numbers and detail, but thanks. Does downloading the direct pro version hinder my current express membership?
  • IsabelleKIsabelleK Member, Sous Chef Posts: 2,807
    Thank you for the FAQ. Just two more things if I may:
    When this PRO featured version of GS will be avaiable to download?
    Will people with an active membership be able to use this PRO featured version of GS, AND publish their game in the old way?

Thank you very much.
  • DevilsDevils Member Posts: 561
    "When you publish through GameSalad Direct, you will still be able to brand your game uniquely to you. We do not want to interfere with your reputation or growth as a developer." - Does this mean that I will still be able to use my own company logo, if needed? Also, where it states that the price will be in favor of the developer, does this mean that I will get more in the split? I am hoping so.
  • ChunkypixelsChunkypixels Member Posts: 1,114
    And this message from the COO tells us no more details than we already know. It doesnt tell us any more details at all. It just solidifies the rumours more....

You might be really excited by by the changes your implementing, but a huge part of the community/your user base isnt.

We need more solid details, so we can decide if were to give you our ongoing trust, or if its in our interest to look elsewhere for our tools. You think this FAQ/post helps, but it doesnt, as it tells us absolutely nothing that we havent already known now for the past week.

The community doesnt want to hear more promises, or pleas to wait and trust you. We just want solid details, so we can plan our future developments.

Is publishing through Direct going to be the only option available, or can users have an option to still publish their own apps without having to go through Direct. Thats probably the single biggest question.... and youve failed to clarify it.

And when exactly do you plan to release Direct? Next week? Next month? Six months from now? Telling us you'll release pricing structure details when you release Direct doesnt help people now, and is just going to cause more resentment and anger from the user base the longer you leave it, without releasing the details.

For the sake of the product, the company, the community & your users, you need to stop with this vagueness and just give us solid details.

Your turning this into a farce.... and the way your handling the whole situation is going to leave long lasting damage to the company and the products reputation.
  • jonmulcahyjonmulcahy Member, Sous Chef Posts: 10,408
    so it sounds like people like me who want to just use a tool are out in the cold. I'll keep watching to see if things change.
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    Me and a lot of user will like to publish our games in our Apple Account, will you make an option for this? is there a way to charge us a % when we are not selling throw your account?
    When it will be available?

Please make a Pro membership available! for a cuple of days, I wanted yo buy it some time ago, but waited for this Big Update…

Thanks.
  • IntelligentDesignerIntelligentDesigner Member Posts: 517
    So for those of us who would never be interested in having our work published by a tainted shovelware brand, will we still be able to use the software we paid for and spent precious time learning to use despite the buggy nature, to generate proof of concept mockups, which was the best usage of GameSalad?

Or are you (Gendai/GameSalad/New GSDirect) going to be extorting money for compiles that used to be a main feature in purchasing the Express version at all?
    BTW if you'd charge for a compile that returned me my XCode that your tool generated, it might be worthwhile...
  • MagoNicolasMagoNicolas Member, PRO Posts: 2,090
    How ofter and HOW will you Pay Us? Im from Chile, is not so easy to transfer money… Now Apple make a direct deposit in My account and work perfect, The First 2 years apple deposit in another way, where they charge me 50 USd peer deposit… I don't want this to happen no with your deposit.
    What makes anyone think we'd ever get paid? We never even get timely information that should be freely shared.

A company that cannot even handle bug fixes, is not likely to be trustworthy in paying you your fair share. I mean apple's reputation is pretty solid, but GS? I do not think they are capable of handling this.
  • DhondonDhondon Member Posts: 717
    Thanks for the info, so you can "brand it", but not publish it on your own dev account? Thats all I needed to know.. I wont be using this product when my subscription expires, but its luckily over 6 months left. Good luck on your new business plan:)
  • ChaserChaser Member Posts: 1,453
    @chunkypixels
    +1
    and I'm guessing there will be no new updates for those of us that continue to publish with our remaining license
    Maybe it'll still be worthwhile as a buggy proof of concept generator.
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    So disappointed and sad. This isn't what us current developers want. Just let us keep the PRO and Express and then include the Direct for others that don't want to keep their Apple Developers account. This isn't rocket science.

And of course no details on how much they are going to take as a cut. What a mess.
  • gregr209gregr209 Member Posts: 441
    By the way your first line in the FAQ is you heard us. It is clear you haven't heard us at all :-(
  • BackUpAndDownBackUpAndDown Member Posts: 685
    I still think it's Bs that we have to pay an uploading fee AND split a percentage of the revenue with Gs... I can understand the revenue split, Gs needs an on going income to operate, but making the user pay to upload a game? Gendai is going to lose a lot of professional and hobbyist developers if they keep tacking on all these costs.
  • AfterBurnettAfterBurnett Member Posts: 3,474
    Yeah, doesn't really give us many answers... I hope it all turns out a-o-k.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    I hope this is just a message to clear up your original announcement and there's more to come.

I really hope that PRO comes back, so that you can retain a good majority of your members.
  • butterbeanbutterbean Member Posts: 4,315
    "While we are excited about the opportunity that GameSalad Direct brings to our community, nothing is yet set in stone. We’ll continue to listen to your feedback and concerns, and adjust the program features accordingly."

I hope this means that we eventually get Pro, and if we can get confirmation on this soon, it would help a lot of people out, and ease the anticipation of many. :)

Many of us started out with GS not wanting a publisher, and to give people no other option but to publish with you isn't fair, especially those that have been with you since day 1.

Hope (fingers and toes crossed) that you guys pull through for us on this :) I'm keeping my hopes high....

It would mean a lot to many of the devs here, and I believe, Gamesalad's future will be a much more positive one if you stay open to people's opinions, and give them options. That way, perhaps some of us will change our minds and publish games with you, but at least it will be our choice.
  • firemaplegamesfiremaplegames Member Posts: 3,211
    IntelligentDesigner said:
    Maybe it'll still be worthwhile as a buggy proof of concept generator.

Or you can use it to make successful games. Either one.

I just don't want a publisher!
  • quantumsheepquantumsheep Member Posts: 8,188
    butterbean said:
    Hope (fingers and toes crossed) that you guys pull through for us on this :) I'm keeping my hopes high....

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed over here.

Dr. Sam Beckett never returned home...
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Quantum_Sheep
    Web: https://quantumsheep.itch.io

• BackUpAndDownBackUpAndDown Member Posts: 685
    quantumsheep said:
    Fingers, toes and eyes crossed over here.

Thats just a scary thing to imagine...
    BackUpAndDown said:
    Thats just a scary thing to imagine...

Try doing it!

@firemaplegames

"-when you win, we win"

Well I think they were banking on you to be one of their star turns.... as its the quality of games that you produce that theyre going to need. I dont understand why they cant see that theyre going to drive away most of the developers that will give them any chance of any breakout hits....

Its highly unlikely that many hits are going to come from hobbyist users...the people that the low cost barrier to entry is aimed at. The true hits almost always tend to be more polished products that the devs have put considerable time, effort and love into. And those devs wont want any part of being forced down the proposed publishing route...

I think you made a good strategic decision to drop the GameSalad logo off your new game under the circumstances....
  • RHRH Member Posts: 1,079
    Thanks for the response, I'm not in a fit state to respond at the moment but I'm sure that, come the morning, I'll have a decent response!
  • iDeveloperiDeveloper Member Posts: 441
    "When you publish through GameSalad Direct, you will still be able to brand your game uniquely to you. We do not want to interfere with your reputation or growth as a developer."
    Ummm... HOW exactly????? If we're publishing through your iTunes Connect account, then the author of our games will be "GameSalad"..... I don't want that.

I do not want to pay per publish, especially on a game that might be a long shot.... If that game "fails", then I would have lost more money then what I started out with. This is the final nail on GameSalad's coffin for me. I'm done with the product; but I'll gladly stay with the community.

Thanks for confirming what WE ALREADY KNOW!
  • TouchTiltGamesTouchTiltGames Member Posts: 1,162
    tshirtbooth said:
    Hey i have been ok with this so far But ... I DO NOT LIKE THIS PART! ....

"Your games stay on the App Store. You are free to continue to update your games for the rest of your existing subscription term. Once your subscription expires, you’ll be able to move your games over to GameSalad Direct."

Im sorry but those games were made with a package i bought and paid for. So i cant update those games with out giving them to you after my membership expires? Thats like getting paid twice if you ask me .

You guys know im a GS fanboy but this upsets me.

Me too, I was shocked to read this. It sounds like legal turmoil to me.
    tshirtbooth said:
    Hey i have been ok with this so far But ... I DO NOT LIKE THIS PART! ....

"Your games stay on the App Store. You are free to continue to update your games for the rest of your existing subscription term. Once your subscription expires, you’ll be able to move your games over to GameSalad Direct."

Im sorry but those games were made with a package i bought and paid for. So i cant update those games with out giving them to you after my membership expires? Thats like getting paid twice if you ask me .

You guys know im a GS fanboy but this upsets me.

Tshirt,
    If you let your current GS sub end, you wouldn't be able to update your game.

Let's imagine you could just get another pro/express sub. You'd be paying again so that you could update your app.

You'd be paying twice, no matter what. But this new system would require you to move your games over to GS and have them as your publisher.

I might have mistaken what you meant though - if so, ignore me!

QS :D

• SparkyidrSparkyidr Member Posts: 2,033
    Hi Frank.

First off, thanks for taking the time out of what I assume is a hectic period for you guys, to respond to "some" of the questions in the big 44 page epic thread.

It's a shame you haven't answered the main biggies, but at least we have some form of an official response now.

As Tshirt has stated, moving existing apps to the new system if we need to update them feels like a massive kick in the teeth here!

Also... you still didn't clarify about existing subscriptions. Will we be allowed to use the updated software (without going via GS direct), or will we be stuck on 0.8.9. (as I suspect is the case) It's such an important point that we all really need to know.

I'm glad you are excited about the changes. It's just a shame you still haven't managed to excite us about them yet.

Looking forward to some more concrete details as soon as.
    tshirtbooth said:
    Right now it costs you 200 bucks to get going.
    100 for apple and 100 for GS

lets say they charge 20.00 per game.
    YOu can make 10 games for what it would have cost you before.
    So i dont think you have to worry there.

I'd rather see people spending $500 or more on making one game than making 10 for $20 each though.

Promoting cheaper game costs is only going to lead to a downwards spiral in quality of apps being produced by the product and being published under the Direct banner. Theres always going to be a handful of games that go against this, and strive for quality, but they really will be few and far between.
This discussion has been closed.