Will FireTV app work on Google Play Android TV too?

DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

I don't own a Google Play Nexus TV box so am unable to test this myself, but would like to know if we can publish our FireTV app to Google Play as an Android TV app too?

@BlackCloakGS - will this work?

Thanks

Comments

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250

No Google Play Nexus TV use intel atom processors. We currently only support ARM based Android devices. You can always put in a feature request.

• DigiChainDigiChain Member, PRO Posts: 1,277

@BlackCloakGS - thanks.. excuse my lack of knowledge on these things but I read this elsewhere:

Intel-based devices can run the full range of Android apps, even ones that were originally written for the ARM architecture. However, if an app contains ARM-specific code, then it must be translated before it can be executed.

Is this not the case here?

• BlackCloakGSBlackCloakGS Member, PRO Posts: 2,250
    edited April 2015

Ok did some more reading and it looks like there is a layer that will translate the ARM binaries to some kind of intel x86 assembly so it might run. I do not have a Google Nexus TV at the office to test. You will have to try it youself.

Ok thanks @BlackCloakGS .

I'm assuming from the lack of community response that nobody else has published a TV version to Google Play store, or tested on a Nexus TV??

• KillerPenguinStudiosKillerPenguinStudios Member Posts: 1,291

Hey @DigiChain,

As I stated in one of your previous posts in regards to this, I did purchase one and attempt to play test on it but the issue is they don't have any developer section on the device to do testing. There isn't a way to put a test build on the device like you would on the fire tv or android devices so there's not really a way to test and see that it works. You would just be throwing your app out in the wild in hopes that it works. I also spent about 4 days trying to do research in being able to test apps onto it and nothing. So I returned the device.

Also, their product is not really that good and feels really cheaply made. There isn't a big market for it like there is with all the other 4 big tv streaming boxes.

Thanks @KillerPenguinStudios
    I was mainly curious if anyone had actually just put an app out there to see if it worked. I didn't realise there wasn't much of a market for the Google Android TV... but a market is still a market!

• rareskyonerareskyone Member Posts: 2

TV devices themselves can run Android TV as their native OS, or TVs can run Android through set-top boxes. You can learn more about Android TV on Wikipedia. Amazon Fire TV refers to the Fire TV set-top box or stick that run the Fire operating system (OS) on your TV.

• rareskyonerareskyone Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2021

Amazon's Fire TV devices run a heavily-modified version of Android, which means you can install some Android applications on it.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,034
    edited February 2021

@rareskyone this question is from 2015, so I don't think the @DigiChain is expecting an answer anymore.

Also, gonna remove your spam links, please keep links and conversations on topic.

We still haven't tried for Google TV yet, but just out of curiosity I might take a look and see if it would be easy to add.