Interesting Apple Stance on Gambling Apps

Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

Got a message from apple, all my slots games have been removed because the government doesn’t allow indie developers to make gambling games anymore. That blows. I almost was about to come back to continue making slots games...as I have tons and tons of unfinished slots games. Like 50+.

Comments

• Braydon_SFXBraydon_SFX Member, Sous Chef, PRO, Bowlboy Sidekick Posts: 9,271

What? That sucks!

• Thunder_ChildThunder_Child Member Posts: 2,343

@Braydon_SFX said:
    What? That sucks!

Not even no money involved simulated gambling apps.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 680

Totally ridiculous! Could you move over to Android only? I do quite well on Android...more revenue than iOS for me.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

@jamie_c said:
    Wonder how the government defines 'indie developer'?

Direct from Apple

Dear Developer,

In order to reduce fraudulent activity on the App Store and comply with government requests to address illegal online gambling activity, we are no longer allowing gambling apps submitted by individual developers. This includes both real money gambling apps as well as apps that simulate a gambling experience.

As a result, this app has been removed from the App Store. While you can no longer distribute gambling apps from this account, you may continue to submit and distribute other types of apps to the App Store.

Going forward only verified accounts from incorporated business entities may submit gambling apps for distribution on the App Store. Visit the Enrollment page to learn more about enrolling an organization in the Apple Developer Program. For information on transferring an app to another developer account, please review the App transfer overview page in App Store Connect Developer Help.

As a reminder, the App Store Review Guidelines state that it is your responsibility to ensure your app complies with all legal requirements in any location where you make it available. Submitting apps designed to mislead or harm customers or evade the review process may result in the termination of your Apple Developer Program account. Review the Terms & Conditions of the Apple Developer Program to learn more about our policies regarding termination.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,327
    edited October 2018

There's some wiggle room. I've seen an app get rejected for gambling that had a slot machine and pinchiko (and other less gambling-associated games), and they argued that these were only bonus games and Apple reinstated the app. If they counted all games of chance within games as gambling they'd have to remove 2/3 of the app store.

• RowdyPantsRowdyPants Member Posts: 465

@Thunder_Child I guess it's time to incorporate!

@Armelline said:
    There's some wiggle room. I've seen an app get rejected for gambling that had a slot machine and pinchiko (and other less gambling-associated games), and they argued that these were only bonus games and Apple reinstated the app. If they counted all games of chance within games as gambling they'd have to remove 2/3 of the app store.

That’s awesome. One of my slots is regular slots but say if you win 50...it drops 50 pachinko balls...with win spots below ranging 1,5,10.

Very popular in Japan or China. Can’t remember.

• jamie_cjamie_c ImagineLabs.rocks Member, PRO Posts: 5,772

Ah I see, so it's an individual account vs an incorporated account. Thanks.

• PhilipCCPhilipCC Encounter Bay, South AustraliaMember Posts: 1,390

@jamie_c said:
    Wonder how the government defines 'indie developer'?

I wonder how the Senate and Congress define "Indie President"?

• softaesoftae Member Posts: 1

@Armelline said:

Yep, I think the gambling niche is against app store TOS. We have to try other niches to comply with app store terms and conditions.

• comluvercomluver Member Posts: 2

The AppStore doesn't like gambling games a lot. It's easier to use an Android phone to play such stuff