RC 2024-09-22 - iOS & Android Ad network updates. Z-Index. Android Chrome Custom Tab support

adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,148

To get these benefits use "Build RC". It doesn't matter which version of GameSalad Creator you publish with as long as it's a version 1.25.x. Previous RC has been promoted to Release version.

For people used to the old RC thread, I will be repeating features that are not present in the regular "Generate" build, so you know in total what you are getting with this RC. New fixes since the last RC will be in bold.

Android (Compile SDK 34, TargetSDK 34, MinSDK24)

Bug Fixes:

• Upgraded from com.google.android.play:core:1.10.3 to new broken out libraries (com.google.android.play:review:2.0.1 and com.google.android.play:asset-delivery:2.2.2)
  • Fixed Chartboost and enabled support chartboost banner ads (needs publishing page update to support).

Changes

• Google UMP 2.2.0 Integrated
  • Ad Network Updates (Android / iOS, x means N/A)
  • Admob 23.3.0 / 11.10.0
  • Chartboost 9.7.0
  • IronSource 8.3.0
    • Adcolony 4.8.0
    • Amazon 9.10.0 / 4.9.7
    • AppLovin 12.6.1
    • Bidmachine 3.0.0
    • Facebook 6.18.0 / 6.15.2
    • Fyber 8.2.7 / 8.3.1
    • HyprMX 6.4.2 / 6.4.1
    • InMobi 10.7.7 / 10.7.5
    • Liftoff 1.9.1
    • Maio 1.1.16 / 1.6.3
    • Mintegral x / 7.7.2
    • Moloco: 3.1.0 / 3.1.3
    • MyTarget 5.22.1 / x
    • Pangle 6.2.0.4 / 6.2.0.6
    • Smaato 22.6.0 / 22.8.3
    • SuperAwesome 9.4.0 / 9.4.0
    • Tencent x / 4.15.00
    • Unity 4.12.3
    • Vungle 7.4.1
    • Yandex 7.0.1 / 7.5.1

Ad networks in italics are new, but we'll need to update publishing to allow you to use them.

We've also put in code for epochTime, but have not tested it yet (as seen in the HTML5 engine here). If you were waiting on any other fixes for android, feel free to ask about them here, I might have lost track of them. (But label them something like Feature Request: Thing I Want) so I can quickly differentiate them from comments and bug reports for this release.

Something about the build configuration and tool combination forces me to make the minimum supported version 24 instead of 21. We're working on fixing that.

2024-07-19 patch update:

Pushed update to fix epochTime implementation

2024-09-22 update:

Support for Z-Index (available in Creator 2.0). Allows you to adjust the order of render within a layer. It works a bit like z-index in CSS. If you set a number higher than the number of items in the layer, it sorts to the top. We haven't done a lot of performance testing so I wouldn't suggest constantly swapping the value, but targeted sort order changes can be very useful, especially when you're doing isometric games (think brawlers, arena shooter).

Support for Chrome Custom Tab for Open URL Behavior on Android. When you choose "embedded browser" for Open URL Behavior it will use a Chrome Custom Tab. It's a separate window still, but the browser UI uses a dark color to match existing and there's a X to close the tab and go back into the game immediately.

Cheers!

Comments

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,148

There were also some necessary upgrades to all android builds to use newer tooling, so if anything seems off there, let me know ASAP

• Machinist AppsMachinist Apps Member, PRO Posts: 66

When I build my Android app using "Build RC" the app starts fine, but glitches out and crashes as soon as I interact with it. When I build with "Build AAB" it functions properly, but then I get the "Update your Play Core Maven dependency to an Android 14 compatible version! " error message from Google Play . I have until December 29th to fix the Play Core Maven dependency issue so I gone with this for now.

Here are a couple quick videos showing the crash:

• nir3112nir3112 Member, PRO Posts: 311

thanks for this update [=

I have issues with changing attributes on iOS..

I have custom keyboard with simple code:

when button is pressed change the search line attribute to the digit on the button + what is already on the search line, when I try to do that the app freezes and stop working and I need to close and reopen the app.

@adent42 I will send you some short video from my app on my iPhone

I re-generate the app with the regular build and test it, the issue is not there and the app is working correctly without freezing.

sorry for my English mistakes ^_^"

thanks

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,148

@Machinist Apps, @nir3112 could you DM me a publishing links. This must be related to the new OS updates since we didn't make any engine changes that should cause the kind of glitches you are mentioning. I want some known breaking games to test against to make sure we track down the bug properly.

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 440

@adent42 everything works so well. thank you. Even the Chartboost mediation works from Admob for the first time ever. Really appreciate the RC building at this point. Please don't change anything. ;-)

on my iPhone I'm using iOS 18.1 beta 5, let me check on older devices.

my Mac is m1 with macOS 15.0

this issue is also happens on android Build RC, my app got rejected

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 440
    edited October 6

@nir3112 why did it get rejected? what was the reason given? I submitted one on Friday and no rejection. It was approved.

edited October 6

This is the reason they rejected it in the console:

Broken Functionality policy: Violation of Broken Functionality policy

Details:

Your app contains content that isn’t compliant with the Broken Functionality policy. 

• App contains icon(s) or button(s) that are not responsive or do not return content

All the buttons in my app are working perfectly and they approve this update once before but now they always reject it.

I didn't change anything in the functionality matter, I just updated the app database.

Update:

form what I see Broken Functionality policy: Violation of Broken Functionality policy means that the app is not responsive/crash/do not load

which is correct because when I press on one of the keyboard buttons the app got stuck and freeze.

this issue is because of the Build RC, when I use the Build AAB button the issue fixed but I can't send it to the Play store because I need API 34 and the regular build is 33

Fix for the issues found by @nir3112 and @Machinist Apps forthcoming (after the forever compile completes).