Can I extract info from IPa and recreate the project in gamesalad?

Good morning everyone.

Let me explain: 12 years ago I created a project with gamesalad, a game specifically that worked on IOS with 32-bit architecture up to iOS 11. Now I only have the ipa that I downloaded from the applestore.

You can access the package and see the files inside. My question is this:

With those files, can I recompile the game or do the simulation and play the game from gamesalad?

Thank you

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332
    edited March 12

If it was 12 years ago, possibly. That was likely before GS started obfuscating the project contents. Rename it from .ipa to .zip, unzip it, and have a poke around. There was an issue back then of people downloading GS games off the App Store, pulling the file out of the ipa, and then re-uploading the game to their own account. So it's almost certainly possible.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,060

What @Armelline said. Though if you owned the account, then log back in to it and the project should still be on the publishing servers waiting for you.

• naylher@gmail.comnaylher@gmail.com Member Posts: 5

Unfortunately the project is not found on the server.

Yes it is true that he unzipped the ipa and found the gameproj file and I can load it into gamesalad. But from here I don't know how to continue to turn it into a working game again. I also don't have an Apple developer account.

Maybe it would be a question of someone being able to sign the app for me or for me to send it to him to see if he can make it work.

Thank you

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,332

Unfortunately, Apple's system doesn't really allow for others to sign the app for you. It needs to be signed using a provisioning profile and certificate ties to the Apple developer account of the person releasing it. If you wanted an Android version, that would be doable, but neither store is likely to accept a game made 12 years ago without fairly significant updates anyway.

If you have the game opening in Creator, then that's as far as you can go without an Apple developer account. Without one, the best someone could do would be to sign it, upload it to their own developer account, submit it to Apple for open testing review, and invite your friend to be a tester. But that's quite a lot of work, and unlikely to be something anyone would be willing to do for free.

Perhaps you could explain a bit more about your ultimate aims for this, and maybe there's some way to make things work.

Thank you very much for your answer.

The objective is basically to be able to enjoy this game again, which on the other hand is nothing more than a game with 116 screens and although it is fun, it is not at all sophisticated. It's very simple and as I say, the only goal would be to be able to play it again. And as I said in my other message, I don't have any programming knowledge and that's why I was looking for help from someone who understood the matter.

I also have an Android phone, I could play on it, but I also don't know the process at all.

Many thanks for everything.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,060
    edited March 25

@naylher@gmail.com first off, you might want to adjust your username cause the forums are open for anyone to read.

GameSalad had been playing with the idea of publishing games for users, so let if that's something you are interested in, DM me and we can see if that's a possibility.

Another option is to contract with someone like @uptimistik who helps GS users through the publishing process for a fee.