Android AD_ID

adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,060

We've had a few user complain of issues with declared privacy settings and permission on google play.

We did some digging and found that our code for forcing removal of the AD_ID didn't quite work as expected.

We've fixed that but have found that there's still an ad-id issue we might have.

If you include admob, the Ad Identifier package will be installed by default.

If you declare an app child directed, we include the appset package (which lets admob access ad id but only with a given set of apps. Basically allowing cross promotion within your own apps, but not with other apps).

My gut says even this is undesirable with child directed apps, but I'm not going to blanket remove it without testing since I'm not 100% sure it can be removed safely.

We'll update you more next week, but for now if you did not intend to allow AD_ID permissions, please republish your android app.

Comments

• C. VictoryC. Victory Member, PRO Posts: 9

Thanks for the heads up. One quick question, though: I was going through the google updated policy here: https://developers.google.com/terms/api-services-user-data-policy#:~:text=You%20must%20disclose%20all%20user,a%20third%20party%20conducting%20surveillance. and was wondering whether this will affect the way platform login is implemented in play games services. It mentions specifically:

Child-directed apps: If your application is directed primarily at children, it should not use Google Sign-In or any other Google API Service that accesses data associated with a Google Account. This restriction includes Google Play Games Services and any other Google API Service using the OAuth technology for authentication and authorization.

Mixed audience apps: Applications that are mixed audience shouldn't require users to sign in to a Google Account, but can offer, for example, Google Sign-In or Google Play Games Services as an optional feature. In these cases, users must be able to access the application in its entirety without signing into a Google Account.

Are we expecting some updates on this?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,060

Sorry, we've been heads down on some other fixes. I'll try to get this sorted this week.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,060
    edited April 18

To answer your question @C. Victory, no change. The platform login is a behavior, so it's up to the user to handle his.

• C. VictoryC. Victory Member, PRO Posts: 9

Awesome! Thank you for the clarification.