macOS Binaries RC 2024-03-05 - LuaJIT Update.

adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,065

We just released to RC a macOS build upgrades the core runtime to use the latest LuaJIT instead of Lua 5.1.15, leading to an increase in performance.

The target SDK / minimum macOS version supported is 11 now (to support Apple chips as well).

Comments

• adriangomezadriangomez Member, PRO Posts: 438

Very nice. 11? I thought it was already 12.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,065
    edited March 8

@adriangomez M1 support started with 11, though the current version is indeed 12. We do have users on older versions, so I might try a build that reverts to target 10.13 or so and see if the updated engine binaries still work.

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 523

Hello @adent42 , I would like to understand something and maybe you can explain to me how it is... When we run the standard version of GS on Mac and run the game in the editor, it works using a Lua version of our game, correct? If that's the case, would it be feasible to package the game in Lua in an ".exe" file and run it on Windows, for example? Or am I missing something that complicates this process?

This has been on my mind for some time now... Why package HTML5 into an executable file when Lua can be run directly? Is there a technical justification or is it a strategic decision not to do that? I sincerely feel that not having the possibility of exporting Windows directly is limiting the potential of the engine

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,065

Basically the engine combines lua and C++ (for some 3rd party libs like OpenAL, Freetype, LuaJIT and OpenGL).

The combination of having to write that C++ layer and not having quick access or knowledge of how to do that layer well is what is slowing down our Win exe efforts.

Basically the remaining team doesn’t have the expertise and is mostly working on improving the new tool first. I do want a Windows exe. We had a contractor working on that, but they had to drop the project and it’s been in limbo until we either pick it up again.

I was able to throw together the HTML5 wrapper quickly cause that’s more my wheelhouse.

After we get some “onboarding” UI work done, I want to take a crack at win exe and an updated viewer app experience.

I pushed a minor update to the macOS binary to mark it as supporting macOS 10.13. If anyone is running that, lmk if you run into any problems!