Astar Degens: Barrel Blast

adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,065

A long time ago a blockchain project, ASTAR DEGENS, reached out to find out if GameSalad could be used for blockchain games.

We pulled in @uptimistik to build us a cool game and built out a matching blockchain contract. If you happen to be an ASTAR DEGENS NFT owner, you can earn some $ASTAR (the ASTAR blockchain's native currency) for completing levels. It was meant as a casual and fun way to engage and reward the community.

Because of things, including the initiation of the Legend of Eros project, we ended up shelving the game for a while.

But we finally had some time to loop back around to launching the game that started our blockchain journey.

Presenting:

Astar Degens: Barrel Blast

https://erosgameengine.com/game/astar-degens-barrel-blast/

Any kudos for gameplay go to @uptimistik , we just created the rewards system backing it.

We're not particularly hot on blockchain anymore, but that whole ecosystem is still out there.

If anyone want some help building nft enabled games, DM me and I'll try to share what we learned! If we find some time, I may even build some tutorials on how it's done!

Comments

• pinkio75pinkio75 Member, PRO Posts: 1,212
    edited February 8

Hi Adent, I've seen the game, really interesting. I admit I have nothing to do with NFT, but aside from that, is the HTML engine you use for this game more powerful than the classic html engine we use?

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,065

Nope, same one. Everything that's used in Barrel Blast is now in the current engine.

Core engine is exactly the same.

For some of the blockchain stuff, we expanded on the work we did for Legends of Learning, allowing the JS side to update the engine's tables and attributes for things like customizing the game.

• uptimistikuptimistik Key Master, Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 255

Glad to see this finally out there! Sorry about the lack of a tutorial, but you tap to launch the Degen towards the next barrel. Let me know what you guys think!

GameSalad Templates and Custom Development at the Official Marketplace: http://gshelper.com

• CasualEvolutionCasualEvolution Member, PRO Posts: 523

Hi @adent42 I just play first five levels!

The truth is that I had some fun trying to pass all the levels :)

In level 5, I thought I saw some green boxes that looked more like colliders than part of the design, warning in case it was something that was accidentally visible.

I didn't quite understand what the NFT part was like, I honestly don't know if it's something that still works today or if it was a bubble that has already burst... I don't know if someone would pay millions for a drawing of a chimpanzee today! 🤣

Another comment in case it adds up, on my iPad at least, I have little glitches everywhere, I don't know if it's my iPad, if it's html5, if it's the web or what... but I still think that the path is not that way... if the same game can be exported to PC, not as html5, but as Lua running natively, something similar to what happens when we run a game in the classic version viewer, it would be a small game that you could publish on Steam for 0.99 and earn some money... but I don't see real money in the web market with html5 games... I already doubt that you can earn anything even on mobile...

edited February 9

@CasualEvolution All five levels? Nice one. Glad you enjoyed it! Arghh yeah I missed that green actor there, I'll sort it out in an update Thx!

GameSalad Templates and Custom Development at the Official Marketplace: http://gshelper.com

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,065

@CasualEvolution in this case the NFT integration was sort of brand building.

Basically NFTs are now mostly communities of people looking to justify their NFT spend (in crypto parlance it's called looking for utility). Most of them just have fun coming up with memes or, if the community is well run, group buying into other crypto opportunities.

This one was released to reward holders of the NFT with a little money. If you happen to play with a Astar Degen NFT, then ape changes color to match your NFT and at the end of each level you can claim 2 ASTAR (the currency on ASTAR network).

In terms of making money from NFT communities, the idea would be to reach out to NFT communities and see if they'll either pay for a game or make a game that they have to pay to play (ads or IAP) and hope that the build in audience of NFT holders draws them in.

One of the things we added to the engine that's helpful for NFTs is the ability to load images from URL.

So for the NFT games we:

• Load their NFT info from the blockchain
    • Load the image of their NFT as the "avatar" image
    • Adjust the image of the main actor based on the NFT parameters.

For one game, we're even going to change game play style (melee vs ranged) based on the weapon in the NFT using gameplay switches and skeletal animation.

Hope that helps!

• zarzirzarzir Member, PRO Posts: 128

@adent42 Is the load images from URL available to mobile as well?

I've not seen any post on that .

Don't worry, I suppose that in general it will go unnoticed, in my case it is professional deformation and that is why I have a trained eye hahaha

It took me about 10 to 15 minutes to complete the five levels, I guess… it's because when you lose you don't start over, you try the movement that didn't work out 2 or 3 times and you can continue moving forward.

Maybe if you were looking to make it more challenging, one possibility is that when you lose, you have to start it from the beginning... it can be frustrating too, it depends on what you are looking for... or have a couple of lives… and if you want something intermediate, you could have 2 or 3 checkpoints per level and when you lose you start since the last reached.

Good luck!

Hi @adent42 thanks for the explanation! I must admit that on this topic I feel quite outdated... I tried the topic of NFTs, but I was late I guess...

https://foundation.app/collection/losttoon

After this madness for NFT “art”, it seemed to me that fashion had passed… I understand that it hasn't, but I would like to have successful examples of this model that you mention.

My son is a teenage gamer and yet I don't see him in these topics and he is a bit of my thermometer regarding trends.

In my company the mobile stage was a little behind, maybe we'll do something to see how it is now... then we moved to Apple Arcade and now we moved to Steam and Switch, having Xbox and PlayStation in mind, which although we started studying them we don't have dedicated enough time to it... however, in all these spaces, I do not see the presence of NFTs, I say at least from the orbit of small game studies... hence my curiosity... at least from an indie perspective... because what mega companies do, where games are a small component of the equation and there is a giant marketing move, I see it as something distant fan that I can't even consider.

@CasualEvolution Nice, so the difficulty level was scaled down at the client's request, since this was the first game (proof-of-concept) for the tech. But! I included a 'Total Tries' stat that I hope people catch on and start sharing that bit :) You gotta try to do it in as little tries as possible.

Level 1: 3 attempts

Well leave it like that! Today, games that do not generate frustration are in fashion and when you do, users will give you negative reviews because they get annoyed with the game... of course, from time to time someone will also complain that the game is not challenging enough, but generally not ends in a negative review 😜

@zarzir it's not available in mobile yet, it's a bit harder to pull that off there. We do it in a kind of inefficent way on browser, pull the image into memory only and using it from there. We hope to add it someday, but we're trying to finish something else right now.