Questions about Implementing Reward Video Ads in My Game.

Hello, Gamesalad community!

I'm working on a foosball-style soccer game and I have some questions about integrating video ads into my project.

Triggering Video Ads: I want to display a video ad at the end of each match, which then takes players back to the main menu. I've seen interstitial ads in action, but I'm not a fan of how they look. As far as I know, the only way to trigger video ads in Gamesalad is by using "reward video ads" with behaviors like "pause game," "change scene," or "reset scene." Is it possible to trigger a video ad without offering a reward? Will Apple reject my app if no reward is provided? If a reward is needed, an idea I had was to disable banner and video ads for the rest of the play session as a reward.

User Experience: Do players need to be given a choice to watch the video reward ad, or can it start automatically when they press the main menu? Should users be warned before the video ad plays?

Ad Networks: Does AdMob support "reward video ads," or is it only supported by Chartboost? I'm currently considering using AdMob, but should I also integrate Chartboost? What were your experiences using networks would be greatly appreciated. Any tips and tricks I should know about?

Thank you in advance for your help and insights!

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

Wow, these are good questions. Technically, there's nothing stopping you showing the player a reward ad without giving them any kind of reward. The only reason rewards are given is that if you make player watch 30+ second ads with no reward, they'll be pretty annoyed and likely to delete your game fast. But I've seen it happen in games I've downloaded (which I then got annoyed with and deleted). What I can't tell you is if Apple will take issue and reject your game during review. Based on some of the games I've played, I'm inclined to say no, as I've seen games do exactly what you're proposing. Buuuuuuuut... The only consistent thing about Apple's review process is how inconsistent it is. Just because they let others get away with it doesn't guarantee they'll let you. I'd recommend trawling through Apples guidelines and see if they prohibit it. As far as I know they don't, but they change those rules all the time and this isn't one I've ever looked for specifically.

That kind of answers the user experience question. Do they need to be given the choice? Again, not technically. But do you want to risk bombarding your players with lengthy ads? I'd recommend against it, but it's your game and your choice.

I haven't used Admob in a while so can't answer that one.

• geoascenciogeoascencio Member, PRO Posts: 63

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! I appreciate your insights, especially regarding the player experience. You're absolutely right; striking the right balance between making the game engaging and incentivizing users to purchase the full version without inconveniencing them too much is a challenge. Player experience is a top priority, so I'm definitely going to think this over carefully. Maybe triggering a video ad every three to four matches instead of at the end of every match and providing players with the option to temporarily remove all ads by watching a video would prevent players from getting too annoyed. I'll take a peek at Apple's guidelines. Thanks again for your valuable input!

• Triggering Video Ads:

1. Reward Requirement: In many ad networks, especially those supporting rewarded video ads, a reward is not strictly necessary, but it can significantly increase user engagement. If you decide not to offer a reward, it's essential to check the policies of the specific ad network you're using to ensure compliance. Most networks allow non-rewarded video ads.

2. Apple App Store Policies: As of my last update, Apple doesn't specifically require a reward for video ads. However, their policies can change, so it's crucial to check the latest App Store Review Guidelines for any updates.

3. Disabling Ads as a Reward: Disabling other ads as a reward can be an interesting approach, but ensure it doesn't negatively impact the user experience. Players might find it frustrating if they can't access certain features unless they watch an ad.

User Experience:

1. Automatic vs. User-Initiated: While automatic playback is common, it's generally better to give users control. Starting the video ad automatically might annoy some players, leading to a negative experience. Providing an option for users to choose whether to watch the ad can be more user-friendly.

2. Warning Before Ad Plays: It's generally a good practice to inform users before playing a video ad, especially if it's not part of the natural flow of the game. This transparency can enhance the user experience and reduce potential frustration.

Ad Networks:

1. AdMob and Rewarded Video Ads: AdMob does support rewarded video ads, and it's a popular choice for many developers. You can use AdMob to implement rewarded video ads seamlessly.

2. Considerations for Chartboost: Chartboost is known for its rewarded video ads, and some developers find success with a combination of AdMob and Chartboost. However, it depends on your specific goals and preferences. Integrating multiple ad networks can provide better fill rates and potentially higher revenue. Also, you can look for some Chartboost alternatives as well like ironSource, PubScale, etc.

3. Tips and Tricks:

- Ad Placement: Ensure that the placement of your video ads feels natural within the game flow.

- Frequency: Don't overwhelm users with too many ads. Finding the right balance is crucial to maintaining a positive user experience.

- Testing: Experiment with different ad strategies and placements to see what works best for your specific audience.

Remember to stay updated on the policies of the ad networks and app stores, as they can change over time. Additionally, user feedback is invaluable for refining your approach to video ads and enhancing the overall user experience in your game.