Difference between website app and desktop app?

Hi Everyone,

I’m looking to purchase a subscription to GameSalad mostly just to play around and keep my brain challenged.

I normally use a PC to do stuff, but occasionally use my iPad. I don’t see a GameSalad app, so is the website version of GameSalad as good as the PC desktop version? Or is the website version considered lightweight?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

The website version is better in most ways. As far as I know it contains all the features, and is faster than the Mac app. Been a few years since I used the Windows app so can't compare there. The main reasons I stick with the Mac app is years of familiarity and the web interface is a little less compact.

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682
    edited August 2023

I use the Mac desktop app as it looks and feels more professional. Mainly a UI preference.

I moved away from PC version as couldn't see option for overscan which I use on all my projects.

Not sure how stable the Web version is as haven't tried it out in quite a while.

• uptimistikuptimistik Key Master, Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 255

After almost a decade of the Mac version, I'm 100% Web Version now.

To me, the biggest difference is being able to work as a team on the same project. While one developer is on the main game scene, another can be working on the level select or other area of the game.

The HUGE expression editor is also a game changer. That tiny input box on the Mac version just feels very limiting.

Auto-completion of behaviors instead of dragging them out ALL 👏 THE 👏 TIME 👏 also changes workflow speed.

And there's more!

Ability to adjust image sizes directly in the editor.

Directly access scene attributes from prototypes

Access actor attributes on the scene e.g image size, color, rotation, position etc without opening up the 'layers' tab! (This REALLY helps with precise placement of items on the scene!)

Group-delete images without issues

ZOOM! Zoom the scene in and out especially if you're working with a much larger canvas.

This is just my list of favorites btw.

GameSalad Templates and Custom Development at the Official Marketplace: http://gshelper.com

• RedRoboRedRobo Member, PRO Posts: 682

That all sounds great. Maybe time I took another look.

Have you noticed anything you can't do compared to the desktop version?

• uptimistikuptimistik Key Master, Member, Sous Chef, PRO Posts: 255

"Have you noticed anything you can't do compared to the desktop version?" - Custom behaviors, custom preview sizes. That's about it though

GameSalad Templates and Custom Development at the Official Marketplace: http://gshelper.com