Display text not displaying on iOS upload

My app works perfectly and displays every actor correctly in the GameSalad App preview. However, when I upload my app to App Store Connect for testing, every actor which displays text does not display. The following are two screenshots where the issue can be seen. The first one is a screenshot from the GameSalad application preview, where the text HIGHSCORE along with the user's high score, can be seen in the title screen. The second screenshot is a screenshot I took of the downloaded app on my iPhone after uploading it to TestFlight, where the display texts cannot be seen anymore. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,067

@jerangutan , can you DM me your publishing link (https://publish.gamesalad.com/games/#####/edit) so I can take a look?

My thought is that the fonts aren't being bundled with your app. If you uploaded the app manually as a zip file, the app package doesn't include the system default fonts. The system should try to fill them in, but there might be an issue with your project preventing that, so I need to see what's up.

• ArmellineArmelline Member, PRO Posts: 5,334

I pushed a build a couple of days ago and just got the chance to test it and am seeing very inconsistent text dispaly. It displays in some places, but doesn't in others. Exact same logic as has worked for months/years. I'm doing another push now to test further, but I don't think the issue is on the project side. Uploaded via Creator 105 on Mac. I normally use 103, so I'm going to try a push with that after.

edited July 2023

Okay I don't think my issue was related, but it may be a bug so I'll mention it for your reference @adent42

I had, apparently, accidentally changed the actor's width to 6000. It was a tileable image across the width of the screen, so I hadn't noticed. Apparently text no longer displays on actors when they reach a certain width. Somewhere greater than 3000, less than or equal to 6000.

When the actor reaches that size, text will display in Preview, but not in Viewer or iOS builds. Not sure about other builds.

• adent42adent42 Key Master, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Member, PRO Posts: 3,067

Okay, that's strange since we don't have different display code in iOS / Native viewer, only on the HTML5 player. My guess is it has to do with texture size calculations we'll need to look into.

edited July 2023

Just to clarify, the text displays in Creator's Preview, but not in either iOS builds or the iOS app GS Viewer. I'm assuming that's how you read it, just want to be doubly clear!

It was when I saw it didn't work in Viewer and thus elimated anything during publishing that I figured it had to be something in the project that the iOS engine didn't like and dug into things I'd not normally have considered, like the size of the actor.

I did make an HTML5 build to test there but found the problem beforen checking it. I'm 99% sure the HTML5 builds I made a couple of weeks ago were the same project file and thus the same 6000px actor, and the text in those displayed just fine.

I also did some Android builds and didn't see the issue there, but again only 99% sure it was the same project file with the huge actor. So, in longwinded summary, this seems to be specific to the iOS engine, but I'd have to check HTML5 and Android to be sure.