Happy New Year. What's Coming Up!
Hey, we've been a bit quiet over the holidays about new features. Between the holidays, some scalability updates for Creator 2, the 12 Days of GameSalad, and the Legend of Eros easter egg for the 12 Days of GameSalad, we haven't had any time dedicated to new items. That's not to say we weren't working on stuff, but it was more along the lines of research and design than actual hands on coding. But since we've got at least another week of testing, I though I'd give you all a sneak peak of what's coming up.
- Fixes for Android In-App Rating.
- Fixes for Preview Overscan / Letterbox on macOS Creator 1.25
- Updated IronSrc, Chartboost, Admob libraries (the usual updates to keep things up-to-date).
For the new stuff:
- Keyboard Input. We've finally settled on a design for text input, and it doesn't require any new attributes in the engine! Basically: in the "Keyboard Prompt" field of the existing "Keyboard Input" behavior you just need to put in "gs:captureKeyboard". That will tell the system to pull up a soft keyboard (or just wait for keyboard input on desktop), and everything you type will be updated in the attribute specified in the "Change Attribute" field. This solution will only work for a single line of text for the time being, but it should be enough to allow users to prompt for things like player names, etc.
- Tweet Sheet "gs:playVideoURL". Tweet sheet function to play videos from an URL. Unfortunately, this requires that the player is online when video playback is requested, but should help for some use cases where you know the player is online and lets us deliver this feature to you without any tool changes in the short term.
- Tweet Sheet "gs:play*" Audio: Tweet sheet functions to play audio and music. This lets you use expressions to change what audio is playing. There's playMusic, playMusicLoop, playSound, playSoundLoop, playSoundComplete
This is all stuff that's locked in for the next RC, so feel free to get a bit excited!